Duping in 2018

Torb

It is a pretty good thing that valve is paying attention to this issue, since many traders are being fooled by this scam. It is probably a good thing they are doing it automatically, because doing it with the support ticket, many people will abuse it, causing many dupes. Hopefully these victims will get their items with no problems!

First and foremost, decent of them to do that.  It was (unlike most other scamming scenarios), one where the victims could be experienced and aware, take all reasonable precautions, and still be tricked.

As far as any impact on the economy, I wouldn't worry about it.  It should be a relatively small number of people/items affected, as they were relatively quick to respond; also, it looks like they'll only return items up until the point where the added the warning dialogue boxes.  Also, if the scammers don't pass off their items quickly, they're getting trade banned (meaning that in those cases there won't be extra copies of the items in circulation). https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198079821428

44 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

-

Agree with everything here but just a tiny thing to add:
There wont be any extra copies of the items in circulation but bp.tf will still see them as duped, as they have the same ID (unless they give them completely new items).
Sucks if you got scammed out of some unus, now they're duped :s 

Just something to keep in mind

Just now, Zeus_Junior said:

Agree with everything here but just a tiny thing to add:
There wont be any extra copies of the items in circulation but bp.tf will still see them as duped, as they have the same ID (unless they give them completely new items).
Sucks if you got scammed out of some unus, now they're duped :s 

Just something to keep in mind

This is true, but I don't think that these items will (or should) have the same stigma attached as duped items did in the past.

A few reasons that people have historically avoided or undervalued duped items are:

1)  Supply: It may have been intentionally duped via exploit, meaning it could have been essentially printed like counterfeit currency, and the market could be flooded. 

This isn't applicable to the 2018 dupes.  One extra copy at most will be created.

2)  Danger: It may have been stolen, and you could get in trouble for buying it, even from an otherwise 100% clean seller (an extreme example would be the "cursed" TCs that you would be banned simply for owning)

This is also not applicable to the 2018 dupes.  All you have to do is make sure you aren't trading with a scammer, and you're good.

3)  Opportunity/Annoyance:  Since everyone else was buying and selling dupes for less, you almost had to do the same yourself. 

Today, even the people who still pretend to care about dupes usually only care by 10% or less.  It might be more noticeable with rarer hats, or it might not.  Generally it's negligible, though.

Since no one has been able to dupe items via exploit for a long time, and since the community has relaxed the rules about what gets you marked (specifically that trading with someone who isn't a scammer, but got marked from trading with scammers), being duped hardly hurts an item's value at all.  Since the majority of people no longer care about an item being duped in >90% of cases, it's become bad business practice to care. 

So I'd say that having your item duped is really only an inconvenience if you think it is, and I doubt that anyone who has their items restored will be unhappy about it.

When were the dialogue boxes added to warn traders? I was a victim of this scam yesterday through a trade offer and wasn't warned. I'm just hoping i'll still be reimbursed for my losses. 

7 hours ago, ●☢Eyelashes☢● said:

When were the dialogue boxes added to warn traders? I was a victim of this scam yesterday through a trade offer and wasn't warned. I'm just hoping i'll still be reimbursed for my losses. 

I'd wait a few days, and if you still hadn't gotten the item refunded, then file a ticket with Steam Support.

I know a few people have already been refunded, but they said just today that they were looking into it.

Archived