(Discussion) How can I start trading with 5 Keys?

Frostitute

Hey everyone, I am a very unexperienced trader and would like to know how can I start trading or what should I bank (weapon, hat, key, etc) in order to succeed in the economy. I would like to hear your thoughts/suggestions o this topic. Thank you and have a nice day!

Generally speaking, it's best to start out with more than 5 keys, to be able to get into trading with unusuals, however, as you are inexperienced, it's probably best to start out slow and try out selling some items lower than that before jumping in already.

I suggest that you follow the guide above with extreme care, as it's incredibly helpful and will inform you of how TF2 trading works, ways of making some profit, and the sorts of scams but also sites to look out for when trading.

The easiest, but most tedious, way to make a some easy refined in a day is to be the middleman between scrap.tf bots, and backpack.tf classifieds trading bots. There are often minor discrepancies between items sold on scrap.tf hat or item bots versus the buying price of bots. I used to sit down for an hour and monitor any incoming items to scrap.tf, and constantly check if there was a bot paying more on backpack.tf. I could typically make maybe 4-5 refined on average for that hour, but its certainly based on luck and speed at which you can respond. Here are two examples from the same day to better illustrate this type of trading, and what to expect from it.

The best tip I can give about this type of trading is don't spend your time trying to cross-reference prices for items that have multiples in stock. You're not gonna find 10 of one hat in a scrap.tf bot and find out there's someone in the classifieds paying a scrap more for each.

chrome_2018-07-24_17-13-14.thumb.png.c1164268035c4bbd19c9e35b5e43f39a.png

Here I bought a Tuxxy for 1.22 refined from Scrap.tf and sold it for 1.33 refined. The Kringle Collection I bought for 2.33 refined, and sold for 2.66 refined to a classified bot. Those two trades I only made 0.44 refined total.

chrome_2018-07-24_17-08-00.thumb.png.9fcb34859bf66f50d4644f26ea718fad.png

Here I bought a Flamedeer for 1 key and 4.55 refined, and sold it for 1 key and 5.11 refined. The Triple A Badge I bought for 6.66 refined and sold for 8.44 refined. Those two trades I made 2.44 refined total.

I don't typically trade this way anymore because its easy to burn out on it, especially when I make so much more in my real life job. However, for traders just starting out, I would say its a great way to familiarize yourself with prices and get comfortable making trades to the point where you can essentially feel out the value of an item without having to check every time.

2 hours ago, HyperToe™ said:

I've got 600 keys and no one throws me offers; communities dead. =D

I can take a few of those of your hands if you feel overwhelmed or anything...

Archived