Does TF2 Trading help you in real life business?

NeoXenoZ

TF2 Trading Economy and Real Economy is what I have been wondering, does these two have similarities? can experience and knowledge in tf2 trading help with learning real life economy and business?

Yes and no.

The TF2 economy is an economy, and it is certainly real and functions like any other economy, so knowledge gained from it can be (to some degree) applied to any other economy in the real world. 

I would say that knowledge of real life economy/business would help immensely with TF2 trading, more than the other way around (any lesson you can learn from TF2 trading can be learned in 1/10 the time from a textbook)....but if you have significant knowledge of real-world economics, you're not likely to waste it on something as limited as TF2 trading.

So basically, TF2 trading knowledge isn't worth anything.  Grab an economics textbook if you actually want knowledge.

It's about the same level as trading Magic or Pokemon cards. You'll learn the principals of supply and demand, how to read trends and shifts in the market and respond accordingly, and how to properly haggle and negotiate for profit.

How much all this will help your future self all really depends on your career path.

TF2 trading makes basic economic ideas more intuitive, but there are so few factors in it that slightly more advanced concepts (stuff like tariffs, which you never really encounter in TF2) would be just as foreign as they would otherwise. It isn't really a good place to learn economics - it'd just be faster to take a course - however it does give some experience negotiating and marketing which is also valuable in business fields.

In short yes and no.

As others have said you're better off reading economics text books, using khan academy, other some other form of economics course if you don't do any in university. It's also easier to apply that information to TF2 trading than the other way around since the TF2 economy and market is so inefficient compared to the majority of real world markets and economies.

1 hour ago, Diamond jozu said:

its worth it if you put in alot of money like real traders

You can be a "real trader" without puting in a lot of money

1 hour ago, Bahamo said:

You can be a "real trader" without puting in a lot of money

i've talked with alot of big time traders and most of them say they did put little money but when was that?probably when buds was a currency.today its simply hard

1 hour ago, Diamond jozu said:

i've talked with alot of big time traders and most of them say they did put little money but when was that?probably when buds was a currency.today its simply hard

And you have no clue what the op is asking lol.

OP, they have similarities and like 3.50 said a textbook generally teaches what tf2 trading teaches much quicker (outside of interacting with people, although that won't necessarily transfer from game to irl). tf2 trading is more giving examples where when you are reading an econ textbook you go "Oh, this looks familiar, this is like when X happened in tf2."  

1 minute ago, TheWiz said:

OP, they have similarities and like 3.50 said a textbook generally teaches what tf2 trading teaches much quicker (outside of interacting with people, although that won't necessarily transfer from game to irl). tf2 trading is more giving examples where when you are reading an econ textbook you go "Oh, this looks familiar, this is like when X happened in tf2."  

when i mean to say that,i mean its somewhat is the same.in general trading,you are to get profit.thats the usual aim.here if we do put in some amount of money,we can get profit.we can always cash out easily.it depends how much money you put in

1 minute ago, Diamond jozu said:

when i mean to say that,i mean its somewhat is the same.in general trading,you are to get profit.thats the usual aim.here if we do put in some amount of money,we can get profit.we can always cash out easily.it depends how much money you put in

I don’t think you read the post

5 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

Absolutely - makes basic concepts in economics feel familiar

Something I’d like to add on my own - not sure if this will be well-responded to, but I think TF2 makes people much more manipulative in negotiation, which can make you a much worse reputation in the real world than it does online. Things like saying you don’t want a deal just to get a higher offer, saying you’re not really interested in selling when you are trying to sell, or forcing the other person to make an offer rather than taking any initiative to get a deal done, are all commonplace in TF2, but make people question your honesty and desire to collaborate in the real business world. 

14 hours ago, Seiko said:

Something I’d like to add on my own - not sure if this will be well-responded to, but I think TF2 makes people much more manipulative in negotiation, which can make you a much worse reputation in the real world than it does online. Things like saying you don’t want a deal just to get a higher offer, saying you’re not really interested in selling when you are trying to sell, or forcing the other person to make an offer rather than taking any initiative to get a deal done, are all commonplace in TF2, but make people question your honesty and desire to collaborate in the real business world. 

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks they are learning how to negotiate in the real world based on most negotiations I see on this game are deluded. There is some benefit in learning some marketing skills, however.

edit:this is why i shouldnt read the reddit version of bp.tf

anyways in my opinion,it can work if you're smart

Archived