Trading with scammers- perma ban on the first occassion?

RunUpCrust

Hello!

Just today I recieved a very nice offer on my Bonzo The All Gnawing Dapper Topper, so naturally, I considered it.

The guy had lots of unusuals and comments on his profile indicating he was an active trader, so I just went ahead and accepted.

Afterwards I had a chat with a guy who wanted to buy the dapper beforehand and he told me, that I traded with a scammer and that I was getting banned for it.

All I want to know is:

Is the ban recieved after trading with scammers permanent? Keep in mind this is my first time doing so (on accident) hence the post in the first place.

Thank you for your replies,

°RunUpCrust°

First time is usually a temp ban. If you go to your backpack.tf profile it shows you. Your ban is 1 week it looks like m1VS7gL.png

24 minutes ago, RunUpCrust said:

What does the Ban do anyways? 

All of your classified listings are deleted and you can't make new ones. You are still allowed to trade other users though, unless it's a ban for actual scamming.

you traded a miami nights for a bonzo? you should get perm banned for being ... uh ... not smart (politically correct term instead of the one i wanted to use :P)

4 hours ago, RunUpCrust said:

I recieved a very nice offer

Hahahaha, you made my day XD

a week for fencing 600 dollars is stupid but then again piotrex got like 4 days for fencing like 4000 dollars from scammers

You just throw away one of the best hat in the game to scammer inventory.

For a miami elite grade.

My GBH Dapper's Topper will cry tonight ;-;

7 hours ago, HarryG said:

It should be permanent if you ask me but it's not. 

This is way over the top. I also think the initial ban is also ott. Reason being. Alot of New people who play tf2 have never ever even heard of this "entity"/"make shift regulator" that is called backpack.tf or steam rep. Sooo, for a noob to go onto a trade server and trade with someone totally random who then gets a ban for it on a site they have never even heard of says alot of the meglomaniacy of certain processes adopted by certain entities in the tf2 community.. My two cents..

I guess its a bonus for the the noobs if they never heard of this site in the first place and traded on a trade server with a random then it wont really effect them if someone has a view of them being dodgey for selling something to someone whom they are not aware of, if they arent even aware of the sites and views of the "make shift regulator". Win win for noobs snapping up good deals i guess until they stumble across this place or steam rep.

What does the Ban do anyways? 

If you trade independentley of this site and on trade servers it does very very little other than put a mark against your name and makes people warey about you if they check you on here or SR. As i said about trading with noobs and alike. It wont have any effect at all trading with people on steam market or who you trade with on trade servers regardless of any marker. But like others posted. If you dont want the upper echelon of power making you look like some criminal then better to do background checks. Sadly noobs to TF2 and trading who are not aware of this site and SR who trade with what appear to be ultra quicksellers or good dealers or scammers are presumed guilty until proven innocent..

I guess what also must hurt and confuse you the most is you were actually fleeced. The hat you traded away was worth more than the hat you obtained. So you were scammed and got a warning for it.  LOL Strange world. Double slap in the face. Not surprising though based on my experience with events around here. Some seriously contradictory operations. Another tip to keep you in the good books. Never call out a shark or price obfuscator in the forums for masking QS prices as standard. That will get you a nice little red shiny triangle too and other person gets away scot free.

I am still quite amazed by this thread.  I am still trying to get my head around this concept... "he got scammed/sharked by a scammer, and gets a warning for it.".... hmmm >.<

5 hours ago, trash said:

a week for fencing 600 dollars is stupid but then again piotrex got like 4 days for fencing like 4000 dollars from scammers

Fencing 4000 dollars and he only got 1 week. Seems legit

5 hours ago, DanielDee said:

I am still quite amazed by this thread.  I am still trying to get my head around this concept... "he got scammed/sharked by a scammer, and gets a warning for it.".... hmmm >.<

The result doesnt really matter, its the act that it punishable. Its like that in all/most aspects of life!

Yeah, the trade was really REALLY bad and is in its own way punishment enough, but that doesnt change the fact that what he did was against the rules for using the site.

I would agree with you if he was unboxer and never listed an item, but that not the case... Quote: "I recieved a very nice offer on my.... "

Trading with scammers is almost as -if not just as- bad as scamming IMO (along with sharking, but that subject puts you on watchlist)

Besides, if he/she did the background check the trade wouldnt happen and wouldnt get screwed on the deal

12 hours ago, trash said:

7 hours ago, Uro said:

Fencing 4000 dollars and he only got 1 week. Seems legit

Fencing is way different than just trading with scammers...

11 hours ago, DanielDee said:

This is way over the top. I also think the initial ban is also ott. Reason being. Alot of New people who play tf2 have never ever even heard of this "entity"/"make shift regulator" that is called backpack.tf or steam rep. Sooo, for a noob to go onto a trade server and trade with someone totally random who then gets a ban for it on a site they have never even heard of says alot of the meglomaniacy of certain processes adopted by certain entities in the tf2 community.. My two cents..

I guess its a bonus for the the noobs if they never heard of this site in the first place and traded on a trade server with a random then it wont really effect them if someone has a view of them being dodgey for selling something to someone whom they are not aware of, if they arent even aware of the sites and views of the "make shift regulator". Win win for noobs snapping up good deals i guess until they stumble across this place or steam rep.

If they're banned from a site they've never heard of (no real consequence for them according to you) and then you go on to say that it's good for them anyways because they can get "better deals" without consequences. So what is your point supposed to be?

10 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

So buying from an obvious scammer alt a pe ke burning casemaker and circling heart gibus that has literally just been scammed isn't fencing

14 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

Not really. Honestly if you ask me, I think this is a bad topic of conversation because if you ask me anybody who has been banned for trading with scammers in the past is at the very least not entitled to an equal opinion on this topic due to the visible bias in their case and it'll just (it already has I think) lead to ranting that nobody is actually going to read

Also your trade was bad.disco beat down>miami even tho the bandana is elite.you couldvr gotten more on the bonzo

Archived