Should total freedom of speech be allowed in Religious Studies?

✔ P I X E L A T E D ✔

Should total freedom of speech be allowed in Religious Studies?

Context:

In our R.S class, its more like philosophy with a statement and we discuss our views on it, people in my class are pretty brutal. Because we, right now, allow any viewpoint; we allow people to openly be homophobic, racist, sexist and so on . This leads to some clearly wrong stuff, one guy (who's extremely well spoken and intelligent) said that given the opportunity, he would cause a genocide to kill the Gypsies in the UK. I challenged him on it, saying the obvious thing of "Sinking to there level" etc. And he, 100% calm and serious, called it pest control over mass murder... 

This is mainly unusual because this is extremely forbidden outside of RS, any mention of discrimination of any kind can result in severe punishments.

Is totally free* in my one (Nothing about Sects and respecting the old fuck of Religion,also the other people opinions too).

And he, 100% calm and serious, called it pest control over mass murder...

I mean, i'm not all that far off from that kind of view point, not about gypsies or anything like that, but more survival of the fittest; and how our society doesn't allow for the evolution of a species. People who need to be told not to drink bleach, or people who have a serious heart genetic* heart defect (or any genetic disease) should be "allowed" to die off. I know that sounds harsh, and makes me seem like a terrible person, BUT theres a reason why survival of the fittest works so well. Right now everyone, whether they're strong or weak (mental/physical--health) lives on and reproduces. Ultimately these results in a degraded gene pool, which isn't a particularly good thing. 

• Administrators

Well we really don't need any more Romanians sitting around in home-made trailer parks

Although this is more politics than religion

Well we really don't need any more Romanians sitting around in home-made trailer parks

Although this is more politics than religion

There are Romanians (and trailers) on New Earth? Interesting. 

I mean, i'm not all that far off from that kind of view point, not about gypsies or anything like that, but more survival of the fittest; and how our society doesn't allow for the evolution of a species. People who need to be told not to drink bleach, or people who have a serious heart genetic* heart defect (or any genetic disease) should be "allowed" to die off. I know that sounds harsh, and makes me seem like a terrible person, BUT theres a reason why survival of the fittest works so well. Right now everyone, whether they're strong or weak (mental/physical--health) lives on and reproduces. Ultimately these results in a degraded gene pool, which isn't a particularly good thing. 

Well being physically fit isn't actually that important, at least it shouldn't be. Prime example is Stephan Hawking, without aid he would likely die, sure it MAY stop diseases passing on (No idea, if his is, but take another example if you want),  but we can all agree that at our speed, we can create cures faster then evolution would.

In my mind 100% freedom of speech in any and all cases. If you want to say Elizabeth II is a fat old Bitch that should be in a retirement home and not on a throne and Obama is a Muslim and should die you're free to do so. If you want to deny Holocaust you're free to do so. What you may not do is teaching untrue theories. So you can't teach people in a class that Jews are an inferior species, Africans are secretly apes and the Queen is a man. If something is scientifically proven to be wrong you're not allowed to teach it. But you are allowed to doubt it in public. So basically full freedom of speech about everything (including religion) but no freedom of education. You can teach people there is a god, for its unproven to be false. You are also allowed to teach the theories of the great spaghetti monster.

This is of course my ideal world

I'm actually happy that (neo)-nazis have no freedom of speech here.~

I'm happy that they do. First off their speeches are hilarious (I had classes about it) and it allows people to realise their ideas suck goat dick. Yeah sure some idiots believe them but that's why I want a minimal education level in order to vote (and yeah USA abused this for racism but that's not my aim)

I'm happy that they do. First off their speeches are hilarious (I had classes about it) and it allows people to realise their ideas suck goat dick. Yeah sure some idiots believe them but that's why I want a minimal education level in order to vote (and yeah USA abused this for racism but that's not my aim)

Don't worry, there are enough ways here to laugh about them.

Don't worry, there are enough ways here to laugh about them.

Isn't Nazism a bit of a tough topic (Anschluss and a lot of Austrian Nazis and stuff)

In my mind 100% freedom of speech in any and all cases. If you want to say Elizabeth II is a fat old Bitch that should be in a retirement home and not on a throne and Obama is a Muslim and should die you're free to do so. If you want to deny Holocaust you're free to do so. What you may not do is teaching untrue theories. So you can't teach people in a class that Jews are an inferior species, Africans are secretly apes and the Queen is a man. If something is scientifically proven to be wrong you're not allowed to teach it. But you are allowed to doubt it in public. So basically full freedom of speech about everything (including religion) but no freedom of education. You can teach people there is a god, for its unproven to be false. You are also allowed to teach the theories of the great spaghetti monster.

This is of course my ideal world

Freedom of speech is limited you know. You can't really say anything like you want to harm/kill or that someone should die, as you could be arrested. If you don't believe me fine, or if you think I am wrong fine. That's just what I believe could happen.

Freedom of speech is limited you know. You can't really say anything like you want to harm/kill or that someone should die, as you could be arrested. If you don't believe me fine, or if you think I am wrong fine. That's just what I believe could happen.

Well as you read this was my ideal world. In that, you can really say anything you want. in reality, no you can't. But reality sucks

You can in America. You can't be arrested for saying someone should die. 

You can in America. You can't be arrested for saying someone should die. 

You're allowed to in the Netherlands as well, as long as you're not threatening someone. Threatening someone is not expressing your opinion, so I don't see why that being forbidden doesn't fit in Pudding's utopia.

@OP Yes, I think freedom of speech and opinion should be allowed basically everywhere. That doesn't mean I like people that do all the time.

You're allowed to in the Netherlands as well, as long as you're not threatening someone. Threatening someone is not expressing your opinion, so I don't see why that being forbidden doesn't fit in Pudding's utopia.

@OP Yes, I think freedom of speech and opinion should be allowed basically everywhere. That doesn't mean I like people that do all the time.

Please don't ever use utopia in a serious thread again, you must know why...

And we don't have full freedom of speech. Go and legally buy Mein Kampf please (not the download from Wikipedia)

And we don't have full freedom of speech. Go and legally buy Mein Kampf please (not the download from Wikipedia)

You should move to the US then; i can openly scream to the world that the president should go fuck himself and be perfectly fine. 

You should move to the US then; i can openly scream to the world that the president should go fuck himself and be perfectly fine. 

Visas :(

This is allowed here as well.

Sorry, I don't. Did I mis-translate something?

I know, and I still don't get why it's banned. You can still agree with it though, and you won't get punished for that.

This is allowed here as well.

Sorry, I don't. Did I mis-translate something?

I know, and I still don't get why it's banned. You can still agree with it though, and you won't get punished for that.

You didn't mistranslate but you you can't have missed the tv show right? I can now never take the word serious again. And our mp should go fuck himself, but that's not on-topic. And its not officially banned. It was in hands of the Nazi Party. They however ceased to exczist as you might know. This brought the question on to who had the copyrights. It was decided the governments got it, and the Dutch government decided to never let it be printed again. This prevents new copies from being made. Existing old ones still are free for sale. This made them able to bypass their freedom of printing press laws. Also, its very much not worth reading. I read an old Gothic one (granddad got it in class in 1943). It's unreadably boring and badly written. I bet 4th graders provide better writing than he does, its plain awful

You didn't mistranslate but you you can't have missed the tv show right? I can now never take the word serious again. And our mp should go fuck himself, but that's not on-topic. And its not officially banned. It was in hands of the Nazi Party. They however ceased to exczist as you might know. This brought the question on to who had the copyrights. It was decided the governments got it, and the Dutch government decided to never let it be printed again. This prevents new copies from being made. Existing old ones still are free for sale. This made them able to bypass their freedom of printing press laws. Also, its very much not worth reading. I read an old Gothic one (granddad got it in class in 1943). It's unreadably boring and badly written. I bet 4th graders provide better writing than he does, its plain awful

Meh, too bad. Probably still going to read it some time. Isn't the copyright expiring in the near future or something? I remember hearing something about that. And I don't watch tv.

Meh, too bad. Probably still going to read it some time. Isn't the copyright expiring in the near future or something? I remember hearing something about that. And I don't watch tv.

Copyrights (on books) expire after 50-70 years (iirc).

Copyrights (on books) expire after 50 years (irc).

iirc=if I recall correctly

IRC=internet relay protocol

irc=I recall correctly?

I think it's not the same everywhere. I think copyrights last 70 years after the author's death here, but I'm not sure for what type of products that is.

I think absolute freedom of speech should be allowed in nearly all situations. (obviously with a few exceptions, no inciting riots, threatening, etc)

I'll also add that we don't have perfect freedom of speech besides the law. By this I mean that you can't go on national television and spew hate at people.

But beyond that, I don't see who can have a problem with it.

Let's take the Westboro Baptist Church for example.

These folks: (in case non-US people didn't know)

westboro1-3d0baab9ccc674c5428c2cf5342da0

Who has a problem with them, honestly? If you agree with what they say, they're out spreading awareness, and you should be happy.

But if you disagree with what they say, you look better! They're absolutely insane, and it helps your cause rather than hurt it.

Archived