End of the Line Keys??

Nebula

Hello, i have seen lots of these Gifted end of the line keys, whats up with them? when you check the send/gifter its some random guy with nothing in his/her backpack. I remember seeing that it has something to do with CC scammers, but why are the EOTL Keys used? Is there something special about them that CC scammers can use to their advantage?

38 minutes ago, Nebula said:

Is there something special about them that CC scammers can use to their advantage?

There is nothing special about the keys themselves, rather it is the End of the Line Key Gifts that are the problem. I know previously that the gifting feature could be used to get around tradeholds and trade cooldowns, but I presumed that was all patched.

I think part of the issue now though it that it basically breaks the continuity been items when trading so there isn't a clear trade history. i.e. If someone buys an item for 10 EotL keys, they go in an empty server with the other person and use 10 key gifts so that the person gets 10 keys but there is no trade history of the keys being given and the keys are entirely new items. Which all create problems when the inevitable credit card charge back is made.

End of the Line Keys aren't the only keys with key gifts, but the other key gifts are really old in comparison so no one would really be interested in the keys.

20 hours ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

I know previously that the gifting feature could be used to get around tradeholds and trade cooldowns, but I presumed that was all patched.

Ok, I was wrong, it turns out it wasn't patched out because it was only just patched out today: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=34800

But it does highlight why the key gifts were the problem.

Archived