Best iPad Stylus (and app?)

AwesomeMcCoolName

I've got an old iPad (1st gen) that i'd like to use to take notes on (specifically math/other subjects which require written notes)

Possible Choices (in order from best to worst--i think): 

1. TruGlide ($15) (accurate with a microfiber tip)
  2. Wacom Bamboo ($20) (accurate, soft-tip)
  3. Applydea Maglus ($30) (Similar to the Bamboo)
  4. Adonit Jot Pro ($30) (Very accurate, possibly scratches the screen, could be bad for math since you're constantly lifting the tip off the screen)
  5. AmazonBasics Stylus ($10) (Not as accurate, but very cheap)
  6. Kensington Virtuoso ($15) (Similar to Amazons but aesthetically better?)

Anyone have any experience with any of these or any other styli?

The problem with a stylus is that a tablet can't tell a stylus apart from your palm, so if your palm touches the screen it'll mess up whatever you're writing. So, the only real way to avoid your palm from messing with things is to get a digitizer stylus, which requires a screen with a digitizer on it (i.e. a Galaxy Note). Unfortunately i'm not really willing to drop $350 on a tablet to take notes on; sure i'd use it for other things, but the only reason i'd buy it is for notes...So, anyone know of any good alternatives to the Galaxy Note? 

I would have to recommend the Google Nexus 7, one of the best rated tablets out there being very light and powerful at the same time. It's also pretty cheap only costing $230 for the 16gb one.   

I would have to recommend the Google Nexus 7, one of the best rated tablets out there being very light and powerful at the same time. It's also pretty cheap only costing $230 for the 16gb one.   

Except, thats no better for writing then the iPad (unless theres something that i don't know about it). 

There aren't many tablets really made for writing. I know from personal experience in taking notes in class through typing though that the Nexus 7 works wonderfully for whatever

There aren't many tablets really made for writing. I know from personal experience in taking notes in class through typing though that the Nexus 7 works wonderfully for whatever

i've got a laptop for typing.....i just need something for notes which need to be handwritten (i.e. math). 

To be completely honest I wouldn't recommend buying a tablet if all you need it for is notes. From personal experience none of them feel as natural as regular handwriting with pen and paper as stylus's are not that accurate and functional yet (plus you'll need to find an app for it to work with).   

To be completely honest I wouldn't recommend buying a tablet if all you need it for is notes. From personal experience none of them feel as natural as regular handwriting with pen and paper as stylus's are not that accurate and functional yet (plus you'll need to find an app for it to work with).   

which is why i'm leaning towards a stylus. 

Nexus 7 is too small

8" is too small as well. iPad (9.7) and 10.1 screens are perfect.

If i'm going to drag around a 9.7" screen i'd just assume bring a 15" laptop. 

If i'm going to drag around a 9.7" screen i'd just assume bring a 15" laptop. 

"Drag"

the difference between the nexus 7 and nexus 10 is only 300 grams, and the 10 is actually thinner than the 7.

"Drag"

the difference between the nexus 7 and nexus 10 is only 300 grams, and the 10 is actually thinner than the 7.

size is the issue, not weight or thickness. a 7" tablet is much more comfortable to use. 

size is the issue, not weight or thickness. a 7" tablet is much more comfortable to use. 

So why not buy an iPad mini?

So why not buy an iPad mini?

If i was going to be buying an iPad i would; but my dad has an old iPad (1st gen) that i can take.

With the exception of using a tablet for hand writing notes i think tablets are a stupid idea; i'd much rather use a laptop for internet/email (the main use of tablets).

>asks for a stylus

>gets asked about tablets

Well, i started out asking two questions; 1) whats the best stylus for iPad and 2) are there tablet like the Galaxy Note that aren't so expensive. 

The problem with a stylus is that they can't communicate with the tablet to tell it to only accept input from the stylus (and ignore any hand touches)--so a digitizer is a much better alternative, unfortunately digitizers are quite expensive and only really work if the hardware was designed for a digitizer (i.e. Galaxy Note).

Archived