Why do hockey players like to fight each other?

∞Ramses

Idk, it's pretty entertaining though. I went to a hockey game (capitals @ panthers) and sat in the front row and there was a huge fight literally right in front of me

From Wiki

-- In some countries, such as Canada and the United States, it is known as "hockey"; the name "ice hockey" is used in countries where "hockey" generally refers to field hockey.

Saying ice-hockey and hockey are the same is like saying touch-football is like tackle-football. The two are very different. 

so because 'Murica is retarded Belgians use 'Muricahn terms?

This fighting seems to be something typical Canadian/American. So I don't want to confuse them.

I remember going to a fight and a hockey game broke out and even the referees were throwing punches at each other lol.

FTFY. 

As a hockey player at the high-school level, maybe I can shed some light on the subject, a little bit more than just "because hockey" or "hurr murica" (even when both teams are actually Canadian).

Hockey is a physical game even if you take out the fistfights. Players get smashed into the walls, slashed by sticks, or any number of things, and the punishment a referee can bring is only so much. You might sit in the penaltybox for a few minutes, but then you're right back in the play, as though nothing happened. I think many fights end up being a matter of vigilante justice. If a player takes a dirty hit on one of your star players, or does anything to your goalie, it's expected that there will be pushback. If you allow the other team to bully your best players, bad things will happen.

Now in this case, I'm not sure. I don't follow either of these teams, so I'm not sure if there is some history between the two. Obviously it's not over something from this game, since it was right off the opening face-off. I do know, however, that it was instigated by Calgary. Since the visiting team submits their lineup first, Vancouver saw that Calgary sent out their fourth line. Fourth line can be pretty much equated with "goon squad." They're not the goal scorers you usually see on the opening lineup, but bring physicality and energy to the game. Now, not wanting to have his stars assaulted, the coach for Vancouver did the same. You can clearly see he's angry about it, yelling at the coach on the other bench. He even had to be physically removed from the Flames locker room area, he still wanted to yell at their coach. Usually a hockey fight will at least have a little more class. Stuff like this is what makes hockey look bad in general. Many games go on without a fight, but when they do, it's a courtesy and sign of respect before you enter to remove your helmet before entering the fight. It may be hard for the general public to understand, but hockey isn't 60 minutes of fights with little breaks to score goals mixed in between.

http://youtu.be/P0b1Avdi0rE  The Canucks coach basically reinforcedthe same thing here.

From someone who used to play hockey, fights broke out when one team was down a bunch, and they needed something to bring their teammates/fan's spirits up. Or momentum, that too. Other than that, idk

Archived