What's up with the random increase of scammers?

Seminal Inhalation

Am I the only one noticing the huge spike in scammers lately? I've been getting a bunch of random adds from scammers and scammer alts.

Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw2qlmciy7734lx/Dumbbass.PNG?m=

Is there any specific reason to why there's been an increase in scammers? Or are they just coming out of hiding? Like, the hell man.

Why can't they just go away and leave us alone ;~; They're like the Westboro Church of Team Fortress 2.

Am I the only one noticing the huge spike in scammers lately? I've been getting a bunch of random adds from scammers and scammer alts.

Not really an increase in scammers, just that outpost has been a lot more efficient in dealing with scammers  (cant link you anymore, perma ban within 30 mins) so they have to add you and try scam you there instead

Not really an increase in scammers, just that outpost has been a lot more efficient in dealing with scammers  (cant link you anymore, perma ban within 30 mins) so they have to add you and try scam you there instead

Maybe

It's winter in Russia so all scammers are stuck in their snow covered houses. So they can no longer drive around with dashcams and kill everybody. So they put their time in scamming

It's winter in Russia so all scammers are stuck in their snow covered houses. So they can no longer drive around with dashcams and kill everybody. So they put their time in scamming

Meanwhile in Russia:

tumblr_mzazk1fPMd1s71dx0o1_500.jpg

Well, lately, I've been A LOT, and I mean A LOT of phail phishers :ph34r:  (see what I did there? no? nvm) trying to add me with the good ol' "hai my retarted frend canut ad u stoopid eror plz add him: stoopidphishinglinklelele". I immediately block and un-add, no problem. Thing is, there's just a lot of them lately, more than usual. Is it just me and Im getting 3rich5dis or has a whole new phishing operation started or something? Anyone know? Feel free to share you theories or whatnot here, or discuss this topic  B)

Well, lately, I've been A LOT, and I mean A LOT of phail phishers :ph34r:  (see what I did there? no? nvm) trying to add me with the good ol' "hai my retarted frend canut ad u stoopid eror plz add him: stoopidphishinglinklelele". I immediately block and un-add, no problem. Thing is, there's just a lot of them lately, more than usual. Is it just me and Im getting 3rich5dis or has a whole new phishing operation started or something? Anyone know? Feel free to share you theories or whatnot here, or discuss this topic  B)

Same reply as i gave to someone else:

Not really an increase in scammers, just that outpost has been a lot more efficient in dealing with scammers (cant link you anymore, perma ban within 30 mins) so they have to add you and try scam you there instead

I've been reporting them all to valve. it's weird, like all the ones i've had have had over 1000 hours in tf2 or csgo or dota or something like that. do valve literally do nothing about them? Or does a community ban just not really affect users?

I've been reporting them all to valve. it's weird, like all the ones i've had have had over 1000 hours in tf2 or csgo or dota or something like that. do valve literally do nothing about them? Or does a community ban just not really affect users?

The link they send you is a simple phishing link so you put in your user/pass into a fake website, simultaneously they put in your user and pass into the official website which you just provided (so you get the steam guard email) and you then check your email and put it into the fake site giving them the steam guard code as well. 

They then hijack your account and sent all your valuable items to a random account and cash it out quickly before people can catch on.

The many hours on tf2 are just a front so they seem like a "legit player", vac bans just means they cant join servers and if you trade them you get a message. It doesnt stop them from messaging others.

I am getting these guys adding me everything couple days now. They outnumber real add 5 to 1. It is getting ridiculous how many of them I blocked, and I hope there are no limit to my block list.

Steam need to do something about these guys. Maybe stronger punishment, more restriction for new members adding/ messaging people, new foreign users have more restriction communicating with current users, fake steam link detector, clicking link warning (tell people about scamer on warning), and etc. Maybe Outpost can do something too like only showing add button to users that are wealthy enough.

This problem can't be ignored any longer. More and more of them are piling on to scam / spam. Lot of my intense gameplay are interrupted by these human trash (Those retard Asian Scamer need to get some real jobs) . We should voice our complain to Valve and Outpost or they won't know what is going on and wont fix this ongoing deteriorating problem.

I had some faggot add me and say ''he can't trade right now, but my friend will buy your item'' even though he didn't list it. Link? SteamcommNUNLty. Oh lawd. Good thing I screencapped it (I'll pop it in later)

Having been trading for a while, I've noticed the gradual shift of phishermen from outpost trades to private adding. I might have gotten one private add from a phisherman a month, a few months ago. Within the last week I've noticed I'm getting more and more private adds and less on my outpost trades.

Today I received four private adds from phishermen, and two of them added me again after I deleted them. Stupid bots.

I wish there were something we could do about this, to make them stop annoying us.

Archived