Lightning

Recent key price damages  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are recent key prices destroying the economy

• Yep
    • Yes.
    • No.

What does destroying the economy mean?

Will does the price of the key continue to rise indefinitely?

I created this post because i posted a classified here accidentally instead of tf2 trading subsection.

Discuss!

Edited by Lightning
Wrong subsection

No.

It's actually pretty good, things are a lot more affordable, you get a lot more out of your $2.50 then before.

Imagine back in the days when keys were like 2-3 refined, that's 1-2 hats for $2.50, yikes!

Like @Tomicide said you can get a buttload of hats for a key, which is great especially for new traders.

I can see one potentially negative effect and that's it can be hard for new traders to get started with trading because of the high key price, it's a huge waste of time to try and go from a scrap to a unusual, and as many on this forum has suggested to new traders it's better to just buy a few keys with money to get started, but that's a hinder for many new players, some can't afford it, some don't have paypal and some just want everything for free.

And this hinder could lead to fewer new traders, which is of coures bad for the whole economy. 

Once again the same thing: Ref is worthless. It's almost impossible to start now from nothing considering that almost everything has bot buyers that are fighting over one scrap or only one weapon.  Just look at any cheap stranges: price 1.55 and buyers 1.5 / 1.44.  So basically - bots and their users have their part in this too.

No. The only thing that's happening is that low-value items are worth less. Once you get to items valued in relation to a key instead of refined, prices are very stable.

13 minutes ago, tardlife said:

I can see one potentially negative effect and that's it can be hard for new traders to get started with trading because of the high key price, it's a huge waste of time to try and go from a scrap to a unusual, and as many on this forum has suggested to new traders it's better to just buy a few keys with money to get started, but that's a hinder for many new players, some can't afford it, some don't have paypal and some just want everything for free.

Though, that's been true since the beginning. Even when keys were only a few refined, people were bitching about how much they were since it still meant 1-2 months worth of idling for a key (people also forget that back then drop rates were lower and it took 27 weapons to make a refined instead of the 18 today).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

No. The only thing that's happening is that low-value items are worth less. Once you get to items valued in relation to a key instead of refined, prices are very stable.

Though, that's been true since the beginning. Even when keys were only a few refined, people were bitching about how much they were since it still meant 1-2 months worth of idling for a key (people also forget that back then drop rates were lower and it took 27 weapons to make a refined instead of the 18 today).

Sure, but you could do abit more active trading with the few metal/weapons that you had back then, anyway, the discussion if it was better/worse back then doesn't really interest me. I'm just seeing that it is a hinder for many new traders to start with trading when the key price is so high (in metal). There's shitload of ways to make profit with none or small investment but that's not obvious to many new traders, most start with the drops they get in-game, and trying to do something with that is hard.

No, valve requires you to purchase an item to begin trading, and now you can purchase a key and get more than ever before. If everything was the same but valve didn't require you to buy something, I think there would be a strong argument that high key prices are ruining the economy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin the Chicken God said:

No, valve requires you to purchase an item to begin trading, and now you can purchase a key and get more than ever before. If everything was the same but valve didn't require you to buy something, I think there would be a strong argument that high key prices are ruining the economy

I'm fairly certain the first item I bought from the Mann co store was a weapon... New players aren't going to know that keys are pretty much the only things worth buying from there.

The economy is destroying itself due to the age of the game. People are leaving to go to other games and aren't playing TF2 as much or at all, and that then lowers the numbers of people still actively looking to trade/buy/sell for items. As the volume of trading decreases along with a slow progression in the release of new items, item prices will continue to fall as there is not enough demand for buyers. 

This is simple economics and will continue until the economy completely collapses, which will happen at some point when Valve and the TF2 team no longer release updates and that drives even more people to stop playing the game or when other games that are similar (like Overwatch) continue to be released with their own digital economies and more players shift to that. The economy will never stop most likely, but will become a shell of its former self with very few players and traders. 

32 minutes ago, funkle said:

Thats like asking if the dollar is destroying the U.S. economy. 

That's different. The price of a dollar is different from the price of a key.

The dollar is needed for international trade and agreements. A key doesn't even have to deal with anything other than ref. And, frankly, I'm sure people can't be that poor to not be able to spent $2.49 to start trading.

With a key, you can get even more stuff than you would normally get. Though, since keys are still on the rise, it's quite hard to get a key for people who do normal trading.

15 minutes ago, LoganTNZ trade.tf said:

That's different. The price of a dollar is different from the price of a key.

The dollar is needed for international trade and agreements. A key doesn't even have to deal with anything other than ref. And, frankly, I'm sure people can't be that poor to not be able to spent $2.49 to start trading.

With a key, you can get even more stuff than you would normally get. Though, since keys are still on the rise, it's quite hard to get a key for people who do normal trading.

:mellow:

What do you think inflation and deflation for a dollar does? Buying power is a general concept for an economy's currency. You need to understand the basics of both to understand how the flow of an economy works. Let alone the environment of the economy that's linked to the currency. I'm not gonna sit here for the 100th time and explain it since anyone can go back and read the millions of other threads complaining about keys by people who don't understand the basics and just try to trade to make a quick buck. Unfortunately, it's not like that.