What can I do as a stagnant trader?

Doctor Ludwig

Hey I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this.

I have only one key and another key worth of items. Thats about it. I keep trading but I only ever break even, how can I actually make profit? I've read every thread I could but little helps. Thanks.

The best way of becoming a successful trader is to flip items, if you own something that someone is wanting it will save them time and may overpay for it as its for convenience. Other than that, if you advertise your items you could possibly make profit with someone just wanting to downgrade their item if they really want it.

Invest in a certain market, such as trading cards, though I think that boat may have sailed by now.

One market I invested in earned me around ~1300 ref before I started unusual trading, all from virtually nothing (about 2.5 ref in items).

I flipped Dueling Minigames for some time, people were selling at 0.22 and I sold at 0.33. I made around 2 keys in profit by doing this. Until of course bots learned and I couldn't exploit them anymore

Its very hard these days to start small. VERY hard. 

When I started I made the majority of my profits off of pro killstreak kits. I would buy them for a key, craft them, and sell the crafted kit for a bills hat (which were 6-9 keys back in the day)

Another thing I would do is list all my items specifying that I like item overpay more then pure. Overpay on an item gets you more than one item which you can get overpay on and then you will have even more items and it just keeps going and going until you have a bunch of items.

These facts are semi-irrelevant though, because neither of these methods are very practical in our current bot-dominating markets.

I really would just recommend investing into tf2 if you want to get started.

In tf2 you make money exponentially. As you grow, you make larger cuts of profit off of each trade.

Dont waste your time starting with just a key or two, just chuck $20+ dollars in to give you a good start. Buy 8 CS:GO keys, sell them for 9 tf2 keys, then go from there. Hopefully this helped! :)

All you really need to do is get yourself up to 20 keys and begin trading unusuals. When I was a newbie trader I was trading random hats and miscs. I would buy something like a mr or professor (i cant remember) hootsalot and resell it for a little more. In trade servers you can find people selling their hats and miscs, you just advertise in chat and see what happens. I made like 10 keys doing that, and got a lucky break brokering a friend's unusual and bought my first unusual, and the rest was history. it is hard to trade up from scratch, so if you have the ability to invest 20-50 dollars into the game that is a huge headstart.

trading in tf2 these days are hard.whats best to get is backpack expanders or tour of duty tickets.they usually go up.when it comes to unusual trading,that gets harder.

Thank you all for the great advice and I will take it all into consideration. Unfortunately I do not currently have the money to invest into TF2 so I'll have to do everything the old fasioned way.

Don't invest in stuff for long-term in hope of some items going up later. Waste of time and You can earn the same money, or even more, flipping random items.

Long-time investments stop You, You risk losing money if You predictions would be wrong. Generally that what You do not do.

Oh really? I invested a bit in keys and just sold them for a .22 ref markup.

That's like a $0.02 profit though.

Oh really? I invested a bit in keys and just sold them for a .22 ref markup.

Also you're not really "making" anything its mainly just ref inflation when you resell keys, because you have more ref but it is only worth the same amount of keys (i.e. $).

Also you're not really "making" anything its mainly just ref inflation when you resell keys, because you have more ref but it is only worth the same amount of keys (i.e. $).

This is probably why I'm stagnant lol.