Meltron

Too long to read: I need a new monitor/ tablet screen only for reading for a long time without getting tired

I have a kinda old monitor which is ok for gaming and watching videos sometimes, but I just can't use it for reading long texts, because my eyes hurt after a while and I generally can't focus on it like on real paper.

I used to think that most pc monitors are just horrible for long works, but since my own monitor is quite old and I guess it wasn't made for this, do you guys have any good suggestions for a new monitor?

• I have no max price atm
  • I don't need it for gaming or watching films
  • I don't really care about its size
  • I just need it for reading and composing texts and...
  • I need to use it for many hours a day without getting crazy

I  bought a kindle paperwhite with an e-ink monitor ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper ) which is nice to read long texts, because it's almost like reading on real paper.

However, I can't use this for reading / writing texts for study, since I prefere a keyboard for that ( There is a hack avaible to use it as a second monitor, but I wasn't able to make it run).

I heard that apple's ipad has almost a good screen as the kindle, but I don't want a tablet and especially not an apple product for some reason ^^ But maybe you know other tablets... So in case you think that a tablet would be better for me (so not a pc monitor), could you suggest me one...

• with the properties I described before ...
  • with which I can use a keyboard or use it as a secondary monitor for my pc?

Thank you for any help!

Note for myself - suggested monitors / tablets:

Ew, Apple (irony that I have an iPhone). Anyways, I'm not entirely sure of a good monitor, since I'm not too technologically advanced. But I'm just here to say to stay away from Apple products.

first part you're describing a monitor for the computer. but when you state what you want the 2nd time, it sounds like you only want a tablet.

is it both ways or just one? if so, which one?

first part you're describing a monitor for the computer. but when you state what you want the 2nd time, it sounds like you only want a tablet.

is it both ways or just one? if so, which one?

Hm, guess I forgot to make that clear...

I just need one and would like you to say which is the best

For the monitor I'd suggest you to get a Dell monitor with an ips panel.

Ips panels has much better viewing angles in comparasion to tn that most cheapo-monitor uses. Ips also produce much more natural colors than for example a tn, va or OLED (rarely on desktop monitors though) does, generally speaking.

Dell has great warranty on their displays, they are known for good quality, stand and build-quality and i don't think it's a coincidence that most businesses uses Dell-monitors.

Ips panels has much better viewing angles in comparasion to tn that most cheapo-monitor uses. Ips also produce much more natural colors than for example a tn, va or OLED (rarely on desktop monitors though) does, generally speaking.

Dell has great warranty on their displays, they are known for good quality, stand and build-quality and i don't think it's a coincidence that most businesses uses Dell-monitors.

Thanks, yeah, I heard that it must have such technology and Dell products look quiete good although I also heard that they are a bit overpriced

to follow up on this, i would recommend a dell ultrasharp u2412m. i current have that one running as screen #1 and im very very happy with it.

for your use, you could just dim down the brightness and relax your eyes.

u2412m is an ips panel and is 16:10 even for movies. and youtube gets bigger in the large screen. not fullscreen. i love this monitor, and if i felt i needed a few more, id buy them without even checking other competitions products

to follow up on this, i would recommend a dell ultrasharp u2412m. i current have that one running as screen #1 and im very very happy with it.

for your use, you could just dim down the brightness and relax your eyes.

u2412m is an ips panel and is 16:10 even for movies. and youtube gets bigger in the large screen. not fullscreen. i love this monitor, and if i felt i needed a few more, id buy them without even checking other competitions products

Thanks. I guess you mean this one excactly: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388771354&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+ultrasharp+u2412m ?

But is it good for reading long texts?

_____

I tried dimming down the brightness (even had a programm to do this and now I have a nice tool which dimms down the brightness according to the brightness outside^^), but it does only small improvement and it makes it a bit harder to reccognize words on the screen. i even tried setting more distance between me and the monitor and scroll everything up in compensation, but that wasn't hte best idea ever...

Thanks. I guess you mean this one excactly: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388771354&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+ultrasharp+u2412m ?

But is it good for reading long texts?

_____

I tried dimming down the brightness (even had a programm to do this and now I have a nice tool which dimms down the brightness according to the brightness outside^^), but it does only small improvement and it makes it a bit harder to reccognize words on the screen. i even tried setting more distance between me and the monitor and scroll everything up in compensation, but that wasn't hte best idea ever...

i havent really tried long texts, but i have this at home and in work. so i spend about 15-17 hours per day using this monitor and my eyes never get tired. i read like 100 emails and descriptions each workday. idk how much that helps

If there are no "paper" monitors, IPS is the closest option. Even then, the nature of monitors makes them impractical to use for reading. But if you still want to, a good IPS monitor is your best option.

i havent really tried long texts, but i have this at home and in work. so i spend about 15-17 hours per day using this monitor and my eyes never get tired. i read like 100 emails and descriptions each workday. idk how much that helps

Guess that should be the conditions I will be in , so thanks

If there are no "paper" monitors, IPS is the closest option. Even then, the nature of monitors makes them impractical to use for reading. But if you still want to, a good IPS monitor is your best option.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully, use e paper technology gets more common (assuming it's the best for my need)

Guess that should be the conditions I will be in , so thanks

Ok, thanks. Hopefully, use e paper technology gets more common (assuming it's the best for my need)

I had a Kindle that had an ePaper screen, and I must say I was disappointed with it. It was only black and white, and response time was absolutely terrible. Also, if you had a certain page on the screen for a while, and then changed pages, you could still see the page before it due to burn in. If the only thing you're going to be using this monitor on is reading, then MAYBE ePaper will eventually become an option. But as of now, ePaper's use is limited.

I had a Kindle that had an ePaper screen, and I must say I was disappointed with it. It was only black and white, and response time was absolutely terrible. Also, if you had a certain page on the screen for a while, and then changed pages, you could still see the page before it due to burn in. If the only thing you're going to be using this monitor on is reading, then MAYBE ePaper will eventually become an option. But as of now, ePaper's use is limited.

True. But I think the technology is just at the beginning

Archived