Possible motherboard problem or something else?

Communist Moose

A long time ago my front USPs stopped working.

I had like 8 on the back so I did not care much.

Now I only have 3-4 working, and I need 4 minimum.

If I plug a 5th USP in, it works, but when I unplug it my other USPs all shut off.

I then have to keep plugging them in and out of random spots until one decides to work.

Sometimes when I plug my items in they flash like theyre going to work and then quickly go out.

TL:DR
My USBs are all slowly failing, not sure if it's my motherboard or something wrong with the USB port/wiring.

How old is your motherboard? Model maybe? It could possibly be faulty USB drivers but I'm not too sure about that

I have had it since I got put my PC together about 6 years ago.

I have went through multiple cpus and graphics cards and other changes but never changed the motherboard.

It's an Asus a5m97.

It's just odd that almost all of my USP inputs have been slowly not working, and on some they only provide power for barely a second.

2 in the front and 8 in the back, the front 2 stopped working a long time ago, and 4 of the 8 in the back are now all dead. One of the 4 working is slowly showing the same signs.

This is an odd question but is there a lot of smoking around your computer? Or possibly a lot of dust? It sounds like some connections are getting messed up from something

It is possible that the connectors are physically decaying, each connector only has a limited plug operations, an USB A Connector like on your Motherboard about 1500. Is it possible that you have already reached that limit? I would recommend you getting an PCI or PCIe USB Card, which provides Front USB aswell.