Atheism?

ThePurplMonster

Why deny the existence of any sort of God whatsoever?

For example, Christians believe that God exists and he performs his miracles whenever he chooses to. There is no proof that God exists. On the other hand, there is no proof either that he does not exist. To claim that God does not exist is the same as claiming he does exist, because there is no proof either way.

Why not just say "It doesn't matter of God exists or not?"

Why deny the existence of any sort of God whatsoever?

For example, Christians believe that God exists and he performs his miracles whenever he chooses to. There is no proof that God exists. On the other hand, there is no proof either that he does not exist. To claim that God does not exist is the same as claiming he does exist, because there is no proof either way.

Why not just say "It doesn't matter of God exists or not?"

I know what Christians believe, as well as Catholics. I was born Catholic. But anyways, because it just doesn't seem logical. Think about it. It just doesn't. It's like the Greek gods, but modernized, I guess. 

I'm basically an atheist. I don't care if a god exist or not. 

There's a reason for everything and it's most likely not divine. 

Wonder why there's a politics and religion and science section (strange grouping), my curiosity brought me here lol 

Well, I was going off the assumption that you were a strict aethist, in that no such "God" exists at all in any shape or form.

My view is that since one cannot prove or disprove the existence of God or Gods, then it matters not if they exist. Their ontology is inconsequential to me and my actions, and everything in my world can be explained logically. Except for my horrible luck...

I'm Atheist.

I don't believe in the existence of a god. I do not believe in an afterlife, be it Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, or anything else. I believe that if you die, you just die like any other animal.

I do not believe that humans have souls.

I grew up this way. 

There's unexplained phenomena out there, but I have no reason to believe it is a god's work. (Maybe this "universe" is all a dream, for example.)

If I do have a reason to believe there's a god, I will become a theist. If I have reason to believe it is a specific religion's god (The big-G God, Allah, Hindu gods, etc.) I will become a believer of that religion.

I guess I'm more of an Agnostic Atheist - I'm not entirely sure, but I default to "no god".

I'm okay if your religion/opinion/belief isn't the same as mine. I just want people to be okay with mine. This is my belief, and I'll change it if I want to, not if you want to.

I grew up catholic, I am now agnostic. (Leaning towards more of an agnostic atheist)

I am just not sure whether or not god is real, I don't think humanity will ever find the answer to that question.

Now, if god was confirmed to be real conclusively, I wouldn't mind becoming a theist, not at all.

I am a very strong atheist.

I believe religion was created for a explanation. People worry why we are here, why we act 'good'. I feel it started as a story to a child, like a moral, a aim in life. Heaven is the reward, Hell is the punishment, God is here to watch you achieve and also to stop you from making errors. 

P.S my desire in science may explain so of these beliefs, however I don't tell religious :)  people this, I talk about it but I have respect for there own morals and beliefs.

Heaven is the reward, Hell is the punishment, God is here to watch you achieve and also to stop you from making errors.

Not every religion is like that. ;)

Typically, atheism is a good sign of intellect, so I gotta say I'm surprised a lot of TF2 traders said they were Atheists.

I grew up Catholic, went on to being Agnostic, will probably be Atheist in a few years if not a decade or so.

Posted · Hidden by Distinctively Vincent, March 5, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Distinctively Vincent, March 5, 2013 - No reason given

Typically, atheism is a good sign of intellect, so I gotta say I'm surprised a lot of TF2 traders said they were Atheists.

I grew up Catholic, went on to being Agnostic, will probably be Atheist in a few years if not a decade or so.

• Atheism is a good sign of intellect
  • u r 1 cheeky kunt m8 i swear im going 2 wreck u i swear on my mum's life

Well, that's using the assumption that most Atheists weren't raised that way.

I say that anyone who doubted the belief they were raised with is intelligent, whether they reject their previous belief or return to it.

I, myself, am an athiest.

Well, I belive nothing really, I am just a very logical person i guess, i need hard fact behind everything or else i cant really "believe" anything,

i grew up spending time with my father (Total geek btw) and all we did was science experements at home all the time, i would do them in the kitchen while he sat in the living room writing code for his bussiness, i allways thought faith was a result of your experiance in life, and what you have gone through. I have a really close friend that is a super christan, whe says that she belives in god so that she can stay happy in life and allways have someone guideing her through the tuff times, she said she thinks this way because her mother died in a car crash when she was about 13, and she had no one to turn too except for her religion and she pulled through because of this. basicly what im saying is that life is a F'ed up rollercoaster, you dont know whats going to happen, but its going to happen that way and you cant change that no matter what.

I'm glad that people are open about these things on here, brings the community closer :)

Cheers,

Dr.Whoves

I have a really close friend that is a super christan, whe says that she belives in god so that she can stay happy in life and allways have someone guideing her through the tuff times, she said she thinks this way because her mother died in a car crash when she was about 13, and she had no one to turn too except for her religion and she pulled through because of this. 

Interesting. I've seen that lots of people tend to convert to Atheism after the death of an innocent loved one. 

Religion IS supposed to comfort people (or so I'm inclined to believe), after all. So I suppose your friend made a good choice. :)

Ok, now that is what I don't like, when someone blanketly labels atheism as "a good sign of intellect" implying that everyone else, well, isn't smart.

Just because someone believes in a God that created everything verses a explosion that created everything does not mean that they deny established laws of science. They only differ in their beliefs on how they came into being (which, by the way, we can never know for sure unless humans invent time machines)

A Christian/Muslim/Hindu can be just as intelligent of a person/scientist as an atheist if he has gone to school, and learned all he can about science, history etc. Unfortunately, there is corruptness and oppression in some religious systems/sects (sections of a given religion) that leaves the people uneducated and simple.

I am a born-again bible-believing Christian and proud of it. I do not like being called stupid or "unintelligent" because of my belief in God. I will not question others intelligence based off of how they belief the universe came into existence so I would appreciate it if you do not question mine.

Ok, now that is what I don't like, when someone blanketly labels atheism as "a good sign of intellect" implying that everyone else, well, isn't smart.

Just because someone believes in a God that created everything verses a explosion that created everything does not mean that they deny established laws of science. They only differ in their beliefs on how they came into being (which, by the way, we can never know for sure unless humans invent time machines)

A Christian/Muslim/Hindu can be just as intelligent of a person/scientist as an atheist if he has gone to school, and learned all he can about science, history etc. Unfortunately, there is corruptness and oppression in some religious systems/sects (sections of a given religion) that leaves the people uneducated and simple.

I am a born-again bible-believing Christian and proud of it. I do not like being called stupid or "unintelligent" because of my belief in God. I will not question others intelligence based off of how they belief the universe came into existence so I would appreciate it if you do not question mine.

Nicely said.

I'm a person who believes in a God, but not the Christian God.  I respect other people's opinions on things.  But i will not respect Christians who say "YOU'RE GONNA BURN IN HELL!!" when i tell them i don't believe in their God, i respect your beliefs and you should respect mine.  No need to be rude about it.

First warnings of the thread.

Everyone keep it civil: any further insults or inappropriate language will receive warnings same as those did.

Using veiled insults and sarcasm does not excuse such behavior.

Remember to report inappropriate behavior.

Archived