The beginning of the Mannconomy.

Chief D

This is basically a nostalgic thread about the time when trading came out, the first crates, tf2items, etc. 

I remember trading crates/tags/paints etc for any random hat, then started trading those hats for better/more hats. Bills, buds and max were the higher ranking hats. 

Afterwards, I kept doing the same but started using the spreadsheet to know which hats were more valuable than others, so I traded my shitty hats for better hats, making my way up to bills/buds. I have never owned a Max head.

http://www.tf2items.com/id/Chief_Diego?time=1304668740 Oldest backpack history I have. I miss my lids and my level 100 buds.

I remember during the very first week of the Mannconomy Update 2-3 years ago, I traded normal hats 1:1 for unusual hats, Earbuds, Bill's Hats and Max's Severed Heads. I got so lucky though. I really had no idea that Max Heads and Buds were going to be worth so much later on. I just thought they were cool items.

I remember during the very first week of the Mannconomy Update 2-3 years ago, I traded normal hats 1:1 for unusual hats, Earbuds, Bill's Hats and Max's Severed Heads. I got so lucky though. I really had no idea that Max Heads and Buds were going to be worth so much later on. I just thought they were cool items.

Everyone on the servers I played knew unusuals were too good to be traded for unique hats.

tell us about the burning pot  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Everyone on the servers I played knew unusuals were too good to be traded for unique hats.

I remember that some of the normal hats were really highly sought after like the Chieftain's Challenge. There was even a steam group for people who had one. It's funny when I look back on it now, but the hype was huge for those new hats. I was extremely lucky to get a Chieftain's Challenge from a trade. I immediately started offering it on everything I could. There was no Outpost back then. Trade Post didn't exist. Trade servers didn't exist. Reddit didn't have a section for trading yet. Sourceop didn't have a forum yet. None of the major trading communities and sites around today were around then. TF2 items existed, but they only did 1:1 trading. Steam forums was the only real place you could look for offers or make offers. I found a guy who was selling a Searing Plasma Mirror for a Chieftain's Challenge. The crazy part was that no one had taken his offer yet. I jumped on it. Man, those were crazy times. I wish I could go back to that first week. I'd have a backpack worth a 100 grand with the knowledge that I have now.

I ended up trading that Searing Mirror for a Searing Tyrant 1:1. It was chaos back then. I actually miss it.

Sadly i was not here when the whole thing first started.

But at least i can say i was here to see keys when they were 2.33-2.66

I wish i had a time machine...

I just started trading this past January but had been playing for sometime (if you can call what I do as playing).  What ur describing is normal for environments like this.  I have already seen a thread somewhere about tf2 being in its golden era.  Sad part is that it can only go down.  Near perfect game too.  Gives you everything you want from strategy simulators, live action, rpg and interactive gaming.  Why on earth does dota 2 have more players?  Tried it, not impressed.

Tf2items, good times. I remember trading the mining light for another hat, and so on till I got a bombing run. It was a new hat, so I traded it for a Bill's hat. And that one for buds.

Well, I can't say I don't miss when trading came out, I loved it actually.

No spreadsheets/help guides

No trading rules

Do whatever you want

No third party websites telling you who you should and shouldn't trade with

No prices, I saw multiple people trading weapons they wanted for rare promos such as Bill's/Buds

People traded for what they wanted, and didn't follow a long trend of "Buds are currency"

I miss those days dearly. :(

Sadly i was not here when the whole thing first started.

But at least i can say i was here to see keys when they were 2.33-2.66

I wish i had a time machine...

If I had a time machine, the last thing I'd think of would be TF2...

(Sorry for double post, I couldn't find a way to copy/paste quotes)

I remember my first "objective" was getting a hat I liked for each class.

Then all of those in Vintage.

Then all of those painted with good paints.

Then getting Unusuals for my favorite classes.

The oldest history I have is Nov. 2010 http://www.tf2items.com/id/the_enemy_hue?time=1290647861

I got that medal from the website. Traded it for another medal (1038) + 1 Earbuds, since I wanted the misc too.

I remember my first "objective" was getting a hat I liked for each class.

Then all of those in Vintage.

Then all of those painted with good paints.

Then getting Unusuals for my favorite classes.

The oldest history I have is Nov. 2010 http://www.tf2items.com/id/the_enemy_hue?time=1290647861

I got that medal from the website. Traded it for another medal (1038) + 1 Earbuds, since I wanted the misc too.

I wanted a medal.

I just started trading this past January but had been playing for sometime (if you can call what I do as playing).  What ur describing is normal for environments like this.  I have already seen a thread somewhere about tf2 being in its golden era.  Sad part is that it can only go down.  Near perfect game too.  Gives you everything you want from strategy simulators, live action, rpg and interactive gaming.  Why on earth does dota 2 have more players?  Tried it, not impressed.

Dota 2 is a really good game, you just have to like MOBA's.

My backpack the night before the Mannconomy Update: http://www.tf2items.com/id/youcanhas?time=1285820277

My backpack 2 weeks after the Mannconomy Update:http://www.tf2items.com/id/youcanhas?time=1287097492

Went from 1 page of normal hats to 3 pages of normal hats, a Purple Energy Modest Pile, Searing Plasma Mirror, 3 Max's Heads, 5 Buds, 3 Bill's Hats, a Big Kill and a Vintage Luger. Back when trading was actually fun. That P. Energy Modest was 1 of 1 at the time too.

My backpack the night before the Mannconomy Update: http://www.tf2items.com/id/youcanhas?time=1285820277

My backpack 2 weeks after the Mannconomy Update:http://www.tf2items.com/id/youcanhas?time=1287097492

Went from 1 page of normal hats to 3 pages of normal hats, a Purple Energy Modest Pile, Searing Plasma Mirror, 3 Max's Heads, 5 Buds, 3 Bill's Hats, a Big Kill and a Vintage Luger. Back when trading was actually fun. That P. Energy Modest was 1 of 1 at the time too.

Vintage buds?

Vintage buds?

That's weird. They weren't vintage at the time. It's probably a bug with the tf2items website.

That's weird. They weren't vintage at the time. It's probably a bug with the tf2items website.

Tell us about the burning pot

There was this one guy

He wanted crates, gave stranges.

And people sold hats at one ref a pop

Meh, those were my non trading days

Archived