So is high tier unusual taunts market dead?

Chuck

As you probably know, the market right now is literally flooded with unusualifiers and halloween effects unusual taunts. Sometimes they sells ridiculously low on cm. It's safe to assume that a good part of  unusualifiers will be used after halloween, which will drop old effects from somewhat rare to very common. Plus crawly cases will never be retired as well, probably, so you can still unbox that after scream fortress is over. Unusual taunts are still desirable loot, but with this oversaturation, prices will drop for sure. The question is: how much?

Unusual taunts have about doubled in number this halloween, but because most people still want the same money for them I say they will drop around 20-30%.

Let's be honest, while there are much more of them, it won't drop by much. Just like the hats, the high numbers won't stop people from selling them for outlandish prices. Unlike the hats, however, there are now taunts that had no time to shine before (Mannrobics, Carlton, Killer Solo, etc), so there's still some demand there.

Unusual market in general is incredibly dead compare to 1-2 years ago.

I am very surprised how Outpost is dead, there are 15-20 people owning 100+ unusual who are constantly bumping their trade and thats all.

• Like 2

• Administrators

http://backpack.tf/unusual/Le%20Party%20Phantom

1130 in existance.

5 updated price suggestions with rising price

2 updated price suggestions with dropping price.

I get your point and you are all right, but it looks like some of you panic about it and fear that the economy will fuck up.

Perhaps will, I do not think so though.

Do note that phantoms have been around for ages, and that there hasnt been a sudden influx of phantoms.

If unusualifiers will generate 'old' effects after halloween, it means that taunts that are currently high in value because of rarity (hint: pool party) will lose that aspect of their value, similar to how collectors items would completely lose their value if they became common. Pool party unusualifiers are currently 'cheap' in that you can create a taunt worth far more than your unusualifier with them, given that they generate regular effects after the event. This'll mean that either pool parties will crash, or pool party unusualifiers will skyrocket (or both) until those values balance out a bit.

For most of the other taunts it probably wont matter that much on the long run. In the nearby future it will mean that more of them will be on the market (like, despite 35 FoD ranchos existing, theres only 2 for sale atm, so if 3 unusualifiers will result in FoD ranchos that will be resold, there will be over twice as many on the market, despite it seeming like a minimal change in the number in existence), creating competition, disrupting the supply-demand balance (which is pretty decent for taunts, as for most of them, theres only a few on the market), undercutting, and as a result of those, dropping values.

Once the direct influence of that sudden large influx of taunts will end, the balance will restore itself. For some of them itll be (slightly) lower than they currently are. For most of the already well-demanded taunts, itll probably rebound and end up around current value.

In that same aspect I expect some of the new taunts to have strong raises after a while. Theyre currently being dumped because the market is flooded with them, but once some people grab a few for keeps, they'll end up being similarly common as other taunt effects, and - this may be a personal thing here - since their effects are visually appealing (or at least more so than the lower tier effects like whirlwind, cyclone, SGG etc), and thus they'll be (relatively) high in demand. This too may cause the older effects to drop (as they will have to share their competition with new taunts).

Most of this is what I'd think would happen, no set-in-stone facts.

Unusual taunts have about doubled in number this halloween, but because most people still want the same money for them I say they will drop around 20-30%.

Yeah I think they doubled, but you forgot to count unused unusualifiers and there is still 8 days of doubled unbox chance ahead. Plus chance of unusual taunt is much increased in general with this new crates which will still be unboxable after halloween even. There will literally be ton of them. Regarding "same money for them" you probably mean trading sites, but they're much cheaper on community market then people ask for them on outpost and bp right now, so those will probably stay unsold.

Until we know if the Unusualifiers will generate old effects after Scream Fortress, there is no real way of knowing if taunts will crash

The same question has been asked every major update that introduces new effects. I think the most saturated I have ever seen it was actually after the Robotic Boogaloo update. That update was followed shortly after by the Halloween 2013 event, so there was a huge influx of new stuff in a few short months. Those months also happen to coincide with some of the slowest months of the year when it comes to TF2 trading - in my experience it's slowest from Feb-May and then from Sept-early Dec.

Happens every year, but Christmas comes around with a huge influx of money and everyone's concerns go away. Taunts have always had a large demand and now supply will finally be able to meet that demand. It means that the huge inflation we had been seeing in taunt values will probably go away, but they should still sell pretty well.

Considering the fact that Valve won't even center the effects on certain taunts, it doesn't surprise me that people don't give two shaniquas about unusual trading or this game anymore, this is a sideline project to Valve, CS is the new bread and butter.

Considering the fact that Valve won't even center the effects on certain taunts, it doesn't surprise me that people don't give two shaniquas about unusual trading or this game anymore, this is a sideline project to Valve, CS is the new bread and butter.

DOTA2*