Steam announces that it's going to force the gambling sites to close

Jams

I'm just glad that sites like sweetstakes or csgolotto won't be able to help underage people gamble or let scammers profit anymore.

• Like 4

At least trading in the community will be continuing strong and will become much bigger because of this step Valve has taken.

I hope csgolounge isn't rip, if so vitalbet offers bets on csgo games with bitcoin <3

CSGOLounge most likely will be; especially with the controversy it has caused before such as the match fixing case with IBP but also the recent Valve lawsuit.

I guess you could bet on Vitalbet, but I'd advise you to not gamble / bet / risk your money.

@Everyone else

Using the OpenID API and making the same web calls as Steam users to run a gambling business is not allowed by our API nor our user agreements.

Could I get the section where it states that online gambling / illegal activities as such are against the use of the API?

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/dev/apiterms ->  "12. Choice of Law; Disputes. These API Terms of Use are governed by the laws of the State of Washington, USA."

Also, https://steamcommunity.com/dev - Steam have updated their login button image for 3rd party sites.

• Like 1

How is backpack.tf lotto future?

Dead and buried, they'll be lucky if valve doesn't force a Full site shutdown knowing valve.

Dead and buried, they'll be lucky if valve doesn't force a Full site shutdown knowing valve.

well rip..

I like watching people win/loss their shit there  :D

• Like 1

Realistically speaking, people will probably find some other way around this, lol.

Though I could care less if gambling was gone - though the sites acquainted with them may be things like bp.tf, which help :P

well i dont like all of the Big sites going down, but i think the bp.tf lotto is usefull money that goes to the site :/ rip

It's not like you can't still gamble with your items, you'll just have to do it in game via spycrabbing and raffles. 

I'm glad it's over. I think sites like sweetstakes and lotto were fine, but I was very annoyed by how many people had gathered around the pot for a piece of the action. Plus, this puts the scam gambling sites into the ground.

It's not like you can't still gamble with your items, you'll just have to do it in game via spycrabbing and raffles. 

I'm glad it's over. I think sites like sweetstakes and lotto were fine, but I was very annoyed by how many people had gathered around the pot for a piece of the action. Plus, this puts the scam gambling sites into the ground.

Thing is that Sweetstakes.tf are still somewhat in the wrong for the allowance of underage gambling, but luckily, Geel has taken the necessary actions as to stop operations involved with the site. Not sure about lotto, as it does follow the same concept as other jackpot sites.

I guess you could bet on Vitalbet, but I'd advise you to not gamble... 

You do realize gambling and betting are not the same right?

Betting is not random like gambling, there is actual study behind every match. I've made over $2k betting on cs:go matches, and there are guys that have made well over $50k from csgo betting, just look at the guy who bought the blue gem karambit for $100k, he made all the money from betting.

Betting is not random like gambling, there is actual study behind every match. I've made over $2k betting on cs:go matches, and there are guys that have made well over $50k from csgo betting, just look at the guy who bought the blue gem karambit for $100k, he made all the money from betting.

Betting is gambling. It's still luck.

It's still against the law in most states of America, as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_betting#Legality

"In the United States of America, it is illegal to operate a betting scheme, except in Nevada, Oregon, Delaware, and Montana."

I love how you avoided your mistake by stating something not even debated or in question

Valve, as stated in their user agreements and API terms of use, don't allow the operation of such gambling and betting sites indirectly, by saying that use of the API must follow governing laws of the state of Washington, USA (12. Choice of Law; Disputes). This will then mean that Valve will acknowledge that by the Washington's set of laws, operating a betting service and/or an online gambling service is illegal. One instance of Washington's stance on the unregulated service of internet gambling sites can be seen here: http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/brochures/5-165-internet-gambling-brochure.pdf

Betting, by the law Washington State, falls under the definition of gambling due to the risk involved and the fact that you don't have any control on the outcome.

Not sure what other sections of the documentations of user agreement provided by Steam are also defied by gambling sites as it isn't stated directly in the news article posted by Erik Johnson.

Valve, as stated in their user agreements and API terms of use, don't allow the operation of such gambling and betting sites indirectly, by saying that use of the API must follow governing laws of the state of Washington, USA (12. Choice of Law; Disputes). This will then mean that Valve will acknowledge that by the Washington's set of laws, operating a betting service and/or an online gambling service is illegal. One instance of Washington's stance on the unregulated service of internet gambling sites can be seen here: http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/brochures/5-165-internet-gambling-brochure.pdf

Betting, by the law Washington State, falls under the definition of gambling due to the risk involved and the fact that you don't have any control on the outcome.

Not sure what other sections of the documentations of user agreement provided by Steam are also defied by gambling sites as it isn't stated directly in the news article posted by Erik Johnson.

Lol I'm utterly confused by the lack of reading comprehension. I'm in law school myself, I know and understand all this. All I said, originally, was about me betting on csgo matches, which I enjoy, and then you told me in good faith not to gamble but I said gambling is not the same as betting, and then you avoid that and go on about other topics avoiding your original mistake.

Oh well, I like debates, but this was never supposed to be one, so #lastcomment <3

Lol I'm utterly confused by the lack of reading comprehension. I'm in law school myself, I know and understand all this. All I said, originally, was about me betting on csgo matches, which I enjoy, and then you told me in good faith not to gamble but I said gambling is not the same as betting, and then you avoid that and go on about other topics avoiding your original mistake.

Oh well, I like debates, but this was never supposed to be one, so #lastcomment <3

Fixed it.

Realistically speaking, people will probably find some other way around this, lol.

Though I could care less if gambling was gone - though the sites acquainted with them may be things like bp.tf, which help :P

There already are plenty of ways around this move server to some other country, get your users to use a VPN to connect to it. But thing is a bulk of your user base wont be bothered to do that.

Depends on where you live, gambling is wagering money (or something of monetary value) with the intention of winning additional money, betting is agreement from all parties to wager on an outcome and lose of wager if guessed incorrect. Most countries consider betting to be a subform of gambling since the intention/outcomes are the same but betting seems to receive less attention in Aussie heck we even have a national event to bet on horses...

I guess they won't have to go to court now, right?

No. Current actions don't invalidate lawsuits against past actions.

That being said, current actions can make Valve look more favourable in the eyes of the court and potentially lead to lesser punishment if found liable/guilty of any wrongdoing.

Most countries consider betting to be a subform of gambling since the intention/outcomes are the same but betting seems to receive less attention in Aussie heck we even have a national event to bet on horses...

Forget the horses, political commentators talk on tv about the odds given to elections by bookies.