Memes

There

boring and generally never funny

as soon as "inside jokes" like "shrek is love, shrek is life" become common among even the lowest in the shit-tier list, like the bronies and the other rejects, then they get incredibly stupid and cringeworthy.  I mean, who here DOESN'T cringe when they see this nowadays:

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-

Even Doge of Shibe on /b/, /pol/, etc. is almost done running its course.  People on reddit now know what it is and use it every now and then, which means beginning of the end

boring and generally never funny

as soon as "inside jokes" like "shrek is love, shrek is life" become common among even the lowest in the shit-tier list, like the bronies and the other rejects, then they get incredibly stupid and cringeworthy.  I mean, who here DOESN'T cringe when they see this nowadays:

snip

Even Doge of Shibe on /b/, /pol/, etc. is almost done running its course.  People on reddit now know what it is and use it every now and then, which means beginning of the end

Noo, plz remove it

one thing i cant stand about memes are the hipsters of them. much like how 4chan and reddit works.

4chan "invents" one, its local for some time, then merges outside of 4chan, and then everyone on 4chan calls it the most cancerous thing in the world.

fucking hipsters

one thing i cant stand about memes are the hipsters of them. much like how 4chan and reddit works.

4chan "invents" one, its local for some time, then merges outside of 4chan, and then everyone on 4chan calls it the most cancerous thing in the world.

fucking hipsters

Not really a hipster, to be honest. If you have an inside joke with your friends, but then people hear it, overuse it, and take it completely out of context, disliking the improper use of the joke does not make you a hipster.

Not really a hipster, to be honest. If you have an inside joke with your friends, but then people hear it, overuse it, and take it completely out of context, disliking the improper use of the joke does not make you a hipster.

if it sneaks out, and someone else use it. doesnt have to be an inside joke. they still like like it. doge sure.

but other created ones. not every fucking meme is an inside joke for an entire forum. so yeah, when it gets out and someone uses it IN THE CORRECT WAY and they call it cancer, they're fucking hipsters

if it sneaks out, and someone else use it. doesnt have to be an inside joke. they still like like it. doge sure.

but other created ones. not every fucking meme is an inside joke for an entire forum. so yeah, when it gets out and someone uses it IN THE CORRECT WAY and they call it cancer, they're fucking hipsters

But they were funny and had context at some point, at least most of them.  The whole "Shrekchan -- Shrek is love, shrek is life" was funny because it made fun of the addition of /mlp/ on 4chan.  But now you see the fucking bronies using it without knowing it's blantantly making fun of them, and the whole thing went from satire to "xd random shrek is love!! xd tolerance".  Doge is (somewhat) funny because it was simply an inside joke, kind of like other more random ones like "twinky house" that haven't really caught on in public (fortunately).  It's largely just the start of a /b/ thread where anything goes, and the comments usually carry the load of the funniness aspect.  No comments section == no funny doge.

It's not being a "hipster", it's just that you know that the joke will become more and more meaningless as it grows increasingly popular.  You watch it start off as funny, and end up as something manchildren grumble to each other before they start talking about rainbow dash and adventure time.  It's not a good feeling.

i.e. most rage comic faces were never funny because they have no real deeper background (and they're largely from reddit, which is honestly a cesspool of unfunny people with only a few clever folks mixed in)  -- plus, they're just horrendously stupid.

But they were funny and had context at some point, at least most of them.  The whole "Shrekchan -- Shrek is love, shrek is life" was funny because it made fun of the addition of /mlp/ on 4chan.  But now you see the fucking bronies using it without knowing it's blantantly making fun of them, and the whole thing went from satire to "xd random shrek is love!! xd tolerance".  Doge is (somewhat) funny because it was simply an inside joke, kind of like other more random ones like "twinky house" that haven't really caught on in public (fortunately).  It's largely just the start of a /b/ thread where anything goes, and the comments usually carry the load of the funniness aspect.  No comments section == no funny doge.

It's not being a "hipster", it's just that you know that the joke will become more and more meaningless as it grows increasingly popular.  You watch it start off as funny, and end up as something manchildren grumble to each other before they start talking about rainbow dash and adventure time.  It's not a good feeling.

i.e. most rage comic faces were never funny because they have no real deeper background (and they're largely from reddit, which is honestly a cesspool of unfunny people with only a few clever folks mixed in)  -- plus, they're just horrendously stupid.

Perfect.

exactly. some group start something, it grows, more pople use it outside of their group. they say it sucks now. how is that not hipster? people interperet the things differently.

its always the same run. 4chan create something. people use it outside 4chan. 4chan rages. 4chan calls it cancer. all the god damn time.

and memes doesnt have to have deep background, if you want deep backgrounds go read a novel.

this is basicly proving that any meme that isnt from 4chan is crap. all memes reddit uses is crap. 9gag is crap. memebase is crap. why? because 4chan sees so highly of themselves. when they do it, its amazing and so fun. when someone else does it. its the shittiest thing in the world. 4chan loves being so underground, yet being in the spotlight. which is exactly what this is all about.

and yeah, all memes have crap content, even on 4chan. whats the difference between for example memebase/9gag and 4chan regarding this? on 4chan all you do is call the op a faggot for 100 posts if it sucks.

exactly. some group start something, it grows, more pople use it outside of their group. they say it sucks now. how is that not hipster? people interperet the things differently.

its always the same run. 4chan create something. people use it outside 4chan. 4chan rages. 4chan calls it cancer. all the god damn time.

and memes doesnt have to have deep background, if you want deep backgrounds go read a novel.

this is basicly proving that any meme that isnt from 4chan is crap. all memes reddit uses is crap. 9gag is crap. memebase is crap. why? because 4chan sees so highly of themselves. when they do it, its amazing and so fun. when someone else does it. its the shittiest thing in the world. 4chan loves being so underground, yet being in the spotlight. which is exactly what this is all about.

and yeah, all memes have crap content, even on 4chan. whats the difference between for example memebase/9gag and 4chan regarding this? on 4chan all you do is call the op a faggot for 100 posts if it sucks.

No, but good jokes do.  They become memes once the background is lost in white noise.

all memes reddit uses is crap.

Well yeah, have you even checked out /r/AdviceAnimals?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnimals/

IT's basically an outlet where people can whine about things or make extremely bland jokes and then make it "fit" into a scripted "joke".  It's not funny.  Definitely not original.  Even "new" memes follow the same format -- picture, with text at top and bottom.  Some cookie-cutter theme, like a bad luck brian, a successful black guy, a hot lesbian dolpin molester wolf, etc.

How is that even remotely funny?  How it is clever?  2 words: it's not.  Another word: cringe.

> 9gag memes are crap

yes, they are, they make redditors look like Mark Twain.  Just visit the fucking home page, scroll down.  It's like a bunch of "xd I'm a random nerd! XXD" 14 year olds posting forced "jokes".  It's horrendous.

because 4chan sees so highly of themselves

Compared to the above?  They blow everyone else out of the water.  Yeah they're obnoxious, but aren't the other two as well?

Have you ever gone anywhere but /b/?  Have you ever even lurked on 4chan for at least part of a day?  My guess is no, you haven't.

> calling OP a faggot

well... when OP is acting like a faggot, what else should you call him?  It's not a "meme", it's just calling out OP.  It happens a lot on /b/ because /b/ is the entryway to 4chan, and newfags often post like they're on Reddit.

The difference is that hipster complain when content they liked is used and enjoyed by different people correctly, but 4chan complains when the content they create/like is used incorrectly and ruined.

I went into r/ragecomics once

I left quicker than a teenage boy once he's been told his gf is pregnant.

/r/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu same thing but with like 5x more subscribers

Some memes used in the right place with the right timing are good. I never use reddit or 4chan or 9gag so for me most of the memes are not overused since I rarely see them. :P

PS: One does not simply is my favourite one.^^

Anything with MEME FONT instantly reminds me of them. ill do the exact opposite thing it tells me to. 

Obama ad with meme font? sorry obama, i love you and everything, but you used the meme font. im out. 

I'm not far too exposed to memes. But whenever I peek at my friend's facebook feed, and see all these memes, or just images with the obnoxious colours, and meme font, I choke a little. And then a lot. 

I think memes are actually the reason I won't join facebook for, well, ever. 

Anything with MEME FONT instantly reminds me of them. ill do the exact opposite thing it tells me to. 

Obama ad with meme font? sorry obama, i love you and everything, but you used the meme font. im out. 

I'm not far too exposed to memes. But whenever I peek at my friend's facebook feed, and see all these memes, or just images with the obnoxious colours, and meme font, I choke a little. And then a lot. 

While many of us disagree with you about Obama, I agree mostly. Why the hell do people use the meme font on random images that are in no way memes? When someone actually thinks of something creative and funny, I think it is, in most cases, the comedic effect is ruined by the use of meme text.

Just don't like the sites who post the memes all the time. You shouldn't get too much memes from your friends.~

Didn't know that is what those things were called. They are like sprays which I disabled. Wiki kinda covers a larger definition than what you guys are talking about and infers that they are supposed to evolve to be accepted by a larger audience to become a meme.

Archived