Is Religion truly separated from the state? (Government, School)

Chilled Soda

In the United States, religion is supposed to be separated from the government and from schools.

Is this really the case? Or do you feel pressured to conform to a certain religion.

Where I live, there are christian slogans, posters, and symbols in every classroom. Pretty annoying. Also forced to take a 1 hour religion class every day where we talk about how sex before marriage will send you to hell, no woman should be allowed abortions in any place, and that all other religions are going to hell. Good stuff!

In the United States, religion is supposed to be separated from the government and from schools.

Is this really the case? Or do you feel pressured to conform to a certain religion.

Where I live, there are christian slogans, posters, and symbols in every classroom. Pretty annoying. Also forced to take a 1 hour religion class every day where we talk about how sex before marriage will send you to hell, no woman should be allowed abortions in any place, and that all other religions are going to hell. Good stuff!

Do you go to a religious school or something?

I don't live in the US and I don't follow how the US law works but I'm fairly certain they can't force you into a religion class if it is a public school, but a religious school would as it is a religious school.

Do you go to a religious school or something?

I don't live in the US and I don't follow how the US law works but I'm fairly certain they can't force you into a religion class if it is a public school, but a religious school would as it is a religious school.

It's a public school, and yet the motto is christian, the name of the school is christian, and they teach it like christians. Makes no sense, but only school within like an hour of my home so I have no choice.

Religion classes in the UK are much more broader, focusing on all the 6 main religions. The classes consist of learning the basic concepts, beliefs and ceremonies these religions go through but not in any way that causes you to convert to a religion because you're forced to. Compared to us, sounds like the US education system is trying to choke the words of Christianity down your throats.

Religion classes in the UK are much more broader, focusing on all the 6 main religions. Compared to us, sounds like the US education system is trying to choke the words of Christianity down your throats.

I live in the UK O,o

Went to school in the USA for 2 years, by far less religiously orientated than here.

I live in the UK O,o

Went to school in the USA for 2 years, by far less religiously orientated than here.

Bruh. I'm going to guess and say that you live in a predominantly-white county?

I just want to point something out here - not all Catholic schools are horrible. Or maybe they're only decent here in New Zealand, lol. I've gone to Catholic schools all my life and they were fine (should also note my high school was technically public, it received partial government funding. Not too sure how other countries would define public schools...) We had the compulsory "Religious Education" classes which didn't really force religion or any homophobic / pro-life bs upon us - it was more educational, looking at the impact of mostly Catholicism, but other religions too. A little boring, but certainly not horrible.

Religion classes in the UK are much more broader, focusing on all the 6 main religions. The classes consist of learning the basic concepts, beliefs and ceremonies these religions go through but not in any way that causes you to convert to a religion because you're forced to.

It's basically the same here in Malaysia. Despite the fact that my country is a very religious country, unless if you go to a religious school, they don't shove religious stuff down your throat on a daily basis at school. This is mostly because my country consists of multiple religions, though.

Not sure whether other countries have something similar to this, but in my country's education, we have classes called "moral education" where they basically teach you about moral values and stuff. Of course, this includes religion stuff. 

If everything you just said is true and it actually is a public school then that's actually illegal and the school could get in a lot trouble.

If you're in the US, you should take the school to court under your first amendment rights to practice free religion

If you're not in the US, then i can't tell you want to do. There was a big case here a couple years ago about a banner an atheist wanted taken down because it was a prayer on an auditorium wall

She felt it was "surpressing" her, so she took the school to court and won because of the Constitution

That's really all American policies boil down to: The Constitution. 

I can't speak for other schools, but our school tries to limit religion talk as much as possible, to avoid giving kids the wrong idea and trying to persuade them. There's definitely no pressure to conform to a certain religion.

Most schools historically were run by brothers/nuns so you can't expect then to remove everything entirely. Seperating religion from school doesnt mean f*ck religion get it all out of there, it mea s that the school cannot teach the syllabus with religions agendas (eg treaching a science class that god created the world).

With that said the school shouldnt force you to take a religion class. It isnt against the rules but stupid on the schools part, quite a few schools mask it under a ethics class tho but not nearly as frequent (more like a lesson once a week)

In America, religion definitely isn't separated from the state. Just look at politics. Would there even be a debate on gay marriage, abortion, global warming, etc. if religion wasn't part of the equation? Probably not, but if there was it definitely wouldn't be to the extent there is now.

I live in belgium - and we have a system where religious classes are mandatory, but which class is dependant on you (well ... on what your parents decide, as you're a minor).

A christian kid would be thought the bible & stuff; while an atheist kid would see things about morality, etc ...

If you're in the US, you should take the school to court under your first amendment rights to practice free religion

Or, if you're a minor, at least tape it if you can (or write down some of the things they say) - and give them to an adult who could help (your parents, a local (non-chrisitan) newspaper, ... ).

I live in the UK O,o

In the case of you: No. You have a Church of England in the UK. That's literally church and state.

In the case of the United States: Depends on where you go. The government doesn't fund the church per say, but there's things like scripture, bible verses, prayer etc.

Holy shit, what public school is this? They're violating a ton of church-state laws if that's really happening.

So here's the deal with religion in public schools. Student-run religious clubs are a protected form of free speech, but the administration is not allowed to push their own religious agenda and treat it like normal classroom education. Mandatory school prayer in public schools is a violation of the First Amendment too, and I'm pretty sure religious symbols you're describing are also crossing that line.

My dad works for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a nonprofit organization that deals with church-state violations. If all of this is really happening and you want to see a change, shoot these guys an email describing the circumstances.

Holy shit, what public school is this? They're violating a ton of church-state laws if that's really happening.

So here's the deal with religion in public schools. Student-run religious clubs are a protected form of free speech, but the administration is not allowed to push their own religious agenda and treat it like normal classroom education. Mandatory school prayer in public schools is a violation of the First Amendment too, and I'm pretty sure religious symbols you're describing are also crossing that line.

My dad works for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a nonprofit organization that deals with church-state violations. If all of this is really happening and you want to see a change, shoot these guys an email describing the circumstances.

I don't really care really.

ANYWAY I FORGOT TO CLARIFY SOMETHING. I MEANT THE DEEP SOUTH WHEN I SAID THE PRAYERS AND VERSES.

Not here. It's a liberal's paradise.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple. No, just no.

In Alabama, our Supreme Court has the ten amendments outside, schools are VERY conservative, with quite clearly christian teachers. Hell, my AP History teacher this year was a pastor. It may not be like this everywhere else, but it's definitely not here. There's only... 1 guy at my school who's not a christian?

No one has complained about it. Why? Over 99% christian population. When you think of Alabama, you think of a few things.

Rednecks

Jesus

Sweet Tea

Church on Sunday

Bible

Ultra Conservative

I personally don't care. No one else really seems to either.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple. No, just no.

In Alabama, our Supreme Court has the ten amendments outside, schools are VERY conservative, with quite clearly christian teachers. Hell, my AP History teacher this year was a pastor. It may not be like this everywhere else, but it's definitely not here. There's only... 1 guy at my school who's not a christian?

No one has complained about it. Why? Over 99% christian population. When you think of Alabama, you think of a few things.

Rednecks

Jesus

Sweet Tea

Church on Sunday

Bible

Ultra Conservative

I personally don't care. No one else really seems to either.

I know this sounds fucked up but every time I think of southern states I kinda just think of people being assholes to blacks tbh.

Archived