Doctor Assisted Suicide

Python.

Don't doctors have a moral code saying that can't do this?

I think it was called the Hippocratic Oath or something 

Don't doctors have a moral code saying that can't do this?

I think it was called the Hippocratic Oath or something 

That just means you can't harm the patient and to do what's in their best interest

If they're suffering and they're going to die they can end their suffering

Would you rather be forced to live a life you don't want to with little to no chance of recovery or die? I sure as hell would rather die than be a lump on life support.

And if I want to die why the fuck should anyone else have any say in the matter? It's up to me what I do with my life, even if you disagree with it.

Pain is worse than death. It's better to be painless and gone than alive and suffering.

Doctors use a morphine overdoes to make it painless and quick. Most older people or people with terminal illnesses will want DAS because life isn't worth living anymore.

I do believe it is your right to die by your own accord. It's hard for your family to let you go but if they saw the pain you are in, they would let you go.

I'm sure polar will weigh in on this, being a doctor and all.

Any amount of suffering is better than death.

Really? I mean torture works in a way that people are put close to death, and many times they want to die instead of suffer. Plus the ill suffering would lead to death

And what if the person who is suffering asks for it? he doesn't have the same rights our pets have? And even they don't decide if they're put down, but in this case, the human does

And what if the person who is suffering asks for it?

Just how I feel personally. Can't speak for anyone else.

Haven't put enough thought into pets yet, but right now I feel putting your pet down is also stupid.

I used to volunteer in hospice (place where terminally ill patients are given comfort until they die), an old men was asking a permission for euthanasia since he was in a lot of pain. No one allowed him, even known he fought for the decision, he didnt have money to go to switzerland, so he went home, got a shotgun and shot himself in a face. This kinda settled the answer for me onward. If someone wants to die and is in a good mental health to make such decision - we shouldnt be stopping them. At least they will go in peace and no pain, with their loved ones by their side. 

My dog had cancer. No chance of recovery. Tumors the size of baseballs in her abdomen. Couldnt eat without throwing up. Could walk right. One day she was fine, one day all this began - tumor in the wrong place finally grew to the wrong size.

I put her down. I would not call it stupid.

Haven't put enough thought into pets yet, but right now I feel putting your pet down is also stupid.

Cases like this are where i agree for doctor assisted suicide: The patient has a deleterious disease with no chance of recovery and a certain death, with or without suffering before that death.

If they are going to die anyway, what does it matter to us if its in a year or now? It sure as hell matters to the patient suffering.

Cases wherein the patient is just depressed or some such fleeting or curable mental illness, suicide should not be an option. (Herein lies a grey area - what if some physical deformity in the patient is causing depression: nature vs nurture argument)

Even if your pet is suffering? My dog was recently sitting in a hospital, hooked up on an insane amount of oxygen for hours on end, as they were trying to save him. He was dry-heaving, and could barely breath, and was non-stop coughing. It was clear he'd be dead soon, but not for a while. I don't see why it'd be fine to let him live, for he'd just spend all of his time gasping for air. barely getting enough while he drowned inside of his own lung fluids. Might as well put him out of his misery and suffering.

And for the subject in general, I do believe, that in extreme cases, doctor assisted suicide should be allowed. If a person is in good mental condition to make the decision, and is clearly suffering-let them make the choice.

Even if your pet is suffering?

If I was suffering I wouldn't want anyone to pull the plug on me.

Your dog, your deal. You can decide whether it was a good decision or not.

If I was suffering I wouldn't want anyone to pull the plug on me.

No one is pulling the plug on you. It's your decision to suicide via doctor assist or not.

No one is pulling the plug on you. It's your decision to suicide via doctor assist or not.

Read the quote I was replying to.

It should be legal as one should have the right to die, just like one has the right to commit suicide.

The problems lie in the logistics. How do you enforce such a thing? How do you prevent unethical abuse of power from doctors? How do you know the person seeking suicide assistance is in his/her right mind? 

I read it before I wrote what I wrote. 

Then you didn't seem to understand that I was talking about pets, not people.

Here is a simple way of putting this.

Would you want a slow and painful death

Or

Would you want a quick and peaceful death

I would choose the latter but everyone has their own opinions

You should watch a movies name "You don't know Jack"

Jacob "Jack" Kevorkianw is an American doctor. He is best known for publicly championing a terminal patient's right to die via physician-assisted suicide; he claimed to have assisted at least 130 patients to that end. He was often portrayed in the media as "Dr. Death"; however, many consider him a hero as he helped set the platform for reform. He famously said, "Dying is not a crime."

Most if his patients have motor neuron disease, a progressive disease involving degeneration of the motor neurons and wasting of the muscles. Eventually they can't walk or move even an inch on their own, they lose the ability to talk, then breathing (just look at Stephen Hawking). Life expectancy is, at most, several years.

It's a very interesting movies. On one side, we are looking at murder, considering you take a part in assisting someone's death. On the other side, everyone should have the right to decide their life, aka they can kill themselves if they want to. The government obviously don't want to encourage suicide, but they also can't violate people's right to decide if and when they want to live or die. 

Then you didn't seem to understand that I was talking about pets, not people.

I understood perfectly. My point was that what you said does not apply.

Any amount of suffering is better than death.

You can say that, but the truth is you don't know until you truly face agonizing pain. God forbid you have some kind of horrible accident and the doctors say you have days to live but you feel every contortion your organs face, you might just want them to end it as soon as possible.

As for pets... if you love something, you should let it go. It's selfish to keep your pet from passing where it is meant to go just because you want it to be with you, even if it suffers.

Yes, I think doctor assisted suicide should be legal. There is no point in having people suffer or die. Then again, health care in the usa is a joke, and it's so expensive I'd say only a select few would even use this, because if this does become widely legal it's going to cost a fortune.

If you are suffering, and you have made peace with that, then you should be able to die with dignity. Controlling the one constant in life. 

For pets, yes they should be put down. My dog had liver ulcers, ulcers in his mouth, throat... no chance of cure. Would remain with him the rest of his life. He would rather starve than eat because it was so painful. After 3+ weeks of me sitting next to him for hours a day feeding him teaspoon by teaspoon, it got to the point where he wouldn't consume anything. He was dehydrating and starving himself. 

Yes, we chose to put him down. I don't regret it for a second. Only thing I regret is not doing it earlier, and being selfish enough to think that he could live through all that pain.

Point is, there comes a time where you should be able to die with family around you, at peace, and at your choice vs 4 months later having not left the same bed for 2+ of those months, looking nothing like your former self, with a handful of people around you (if that, and only the ones who stay all the time), and in so much pain. 

It's cruelty to deny someone the right to end their own life in that situation.

Archived