Will the release of matchmaking affect item prices?

Haruhi Suzumiya

As per the title, do you think the prices of certain items will rise once it's released/beta starts? I personally as an Engineer main think that the southern hospitality wrench will suddenly get a lot more demand and use since the random crits of the stock wrench won't matter anymore. Do you think things like unusual hats may change in price too? since the update will possibly bring back some long time gone players with inactive account thus bringing more hats back into the market or even crate more demand for them through new players finding out about TF2.

Probably not much. Maybe some items go up a ref or two but for high tier items I don't think so, maybe aussies a bit although there are plenty of alternatives with skins now. Unusuals only 1st gens have a realistic chance imo. Certainly they won't go down in price.

Is the jag still the #1 comp wrench or is the southern the new meta after all those jag changes? I stopped playing highlander.^^

possibly as a secondary result of matchmaking, not as a direct result

i.e. matchmaking causes resurgence of tf2 popularity which then causes stuff to be more in demand

but I really doubt it, nothing significant at least

One thing is

Why would Weapons go up in price cause of Matchmaking. If its a Buff or a Nerf it will go down or Up thats all

(Facepalm)

If it brings in new users who want to trade and we see an increase in TF2 traders/players, prices will change drastically.

My view on this is that no, it will not affect the prices of most items. Even with an increased playerbase there is still way too many items in existance however, I do think we might see an increase in people who want to buy more high tier items. Maybe unusuals will start selling for pure more often, or pro killstreaks might actually find buyers quickly.

Archived