Is "Offensiveness" even a thing these days?

Python.

I keep hearing people getting offended by things that shouldn't be considered offensive (i.e. feminists, vegans, other cancerous groups, people who don't like using cancer as an adjective)

Being offended by something used to mean something, now we throw it around because whatever

Something less agreeable would be a white person saying "nigga". Why would this be offensive to blacks who use the word in 90% of their vocabulary? (not talkin' hard 'r')

Or is it offensive to eat meat in front of a vegan

Or use the word cancer/gay in derogatory terms, even if the person who says it is gay or has had experiences with cancer

We're in a state of offensive inflation

inb4 "this thread offends me" by the meme masters

People should just grow up, it's not like things ever change unless you want them to.

I.e a bar & grille puts out a sign that reads, "We like our beer the way we like our violence, domestic" Good joke, who gives a shit right? Someone sees that and calls the owner and gets the manager and the waitress who wrote it fired. What was that supposed to accomplish? Like some guy who would never hurt a woman sees that and just goes off? No, who cares? Nobody else because people with real brainpower can tell that it's a fucking joke .

~Paraphrase from Bill Burr's I'm Sorry You Feel That Way.

obligatory "this thread offends me"

You're sort of right about the whole "offensive inflation" thing, most people just throw it around because they feel entitled. But, there are a few legit reasons to be offended. I'd say whities using the N word is one of them, because of the whole slavery thing from back then, and the vegan example to an extent. 

Obviously there's a line to what you should and shouldn't be... "offended" by, such as preferences or fandoms, two innocent things until someone considers it offensive.

Oh boy, time for the dissenting opinion.

I keep hearing people getting offended by things that shouldn't be considered offensive

Who's the judge of whether things can be considered offensive or not? It sounds like you're trying to give that role to yourself, when it's typically a societal thing.

Being offended by something used to mean something, now we throw it around because whatever

Once again, that's super subjective. I'd agree with you that what's considered offensive has changed over time, but if people are still getting offended over things, then the word clearly still means something.

Something less agreeable would be a white person saying "nigga". Why would this be offensive to blacks who use the word in 90% of their vocabulary? (not talkin' hard 'r')

Or is it offensive to eat meat in front of a vegan

Or use the word cancer/gay in derogatory terms, even if the person who says it is gay or has had experiences with cancer

Generally, a group gets to be its own gatekeeper. If black people tell you not to say nigga to refer to them, then you've got to respect their position (and it's not baseless. the n-word has been used as a slur for 200 years, and just because black people have started to reclaim a corruption of it doesn't mean white people get to as well).

Besides the internet, i don't think i have met people that are remotely offended by stuff in my country.

"But how can you meet people when you don't even leave your house"

Well...

triggered

h0LjtCP.gif

When you really think about it offense is never given, it is only taken.

How you react to something being shown or said dictates whether or not that is "offensive".

I don't believe anything is inherently offensive, it's simply how we respond to words and events that make us feel like we're offended.

So basically what I'm saying is that being offended is a choice. I know people get offended by typically derogatory terms, but I choose to not find it offensive.

Umm..

It's kind of offensive to me that you would question someones state of offendedness... Like seriously it really offends me and kinda makes me feel like youre not really thinking about what youre saying and youre just running around trying to offend other people for no reason. Like people should be able to choose when and what theyre offended by, like in this case im offended by your questioning about how I could "get so easily offended" like seriously im really offended. like omg..

So yeah.. im pretty offended by this :^(

People are oversensitive, so when they see something they don't like they immediately shout "I'm offended!" to look for self-justification.

I understand people getting offended.

I understand considering or labeling something as offensive.

What I don't understand is why all these special snowflakes expect anyone else to care about their delicate sensibilities.

It offends disgusts me when people are offended by the slightest little thing, such as improper use of an "offensive" term, and make a huge ruckus until something is done about it.

You know what's actually worth making a huge ruckus about? Wars. Starvation. Disease. Human trafficking. Gingers running loose in polite society. Terrible things like these are happening every day, even in your own country.

When someone goes ballistic over something as completely inconsequential as political correctness, I automatically set my Respect-O-Meter for them to zero.

As far as using the term too loosely, yeah. People say "offended" when they usually mean "mildly annoyed". It's a symptom of dwindling vocabularies, and of younger children being allowed to express themselves to a wide audience.

Side note: Feminists are offensive and they offend my delicate sensibilities.

Who's the judge of whether things can be considered offensive or not? It sounds like you're trying to give that role to yourself, when it's typically a societal thing.

What's offensive is in a person's own opinion, as this is mine. Several people are "offended" by whatever they don't believe in

Once again, that's super subjective. I'd agree with you that what's considered offensive has changed over time, but if people are still getting offended over things, then the word clearly still means something

It was a figure of speech, not to be taken literally. Obviously words keep their meanings. Didn't think I'd have to explain this.

Generally, a group gets to be its own gatekeeper. If black people tell you not to say nigga to refer to them, then you've got to respect their position (and it's not baseless. the n-word has been used as a slur for 200 years, and just because black people have started to reclaim a corruption of it doesn't mean white people get to as well).

Right, but if it's not said in a derogatory way (e.g. gay), why would they care and why should you. Playing devil's advocate, there's freedom of speech, and you really don't got to respect anyone's position

Something being offensive is a weird thing. Some people can see it as being ok. Others can think of it as meh. And others can say that its appalling. It basically depends on the society you live in. the customs and traditions do matter. Certain actions can be viewed differently around the world. But what I believe your trying to get at is the stuff that is controversial. like how some people say white people can't say N****** because its racist against black people. But now you have the argument about how black people are allowed to say it while white people can't say it because its racist. 

I hope I said the right thing here

I think at one point I just realized why and how the term "feminazi" might be viable. Not when people are trying to change things for the better in a rational way but rather for those extremists that pretty much want to police what should and shouldn't be said no matter how inoffensive it might actually be. Also for those who say "kill all cis men" if people still say that.

Playing devil's advocate, there's freedom of speech, and you really don't got to respect anyone's position

Firstly, freedom of speech is the right of people to express their opinions publicly without governmental interference, subject to the laws against libel, incitement to violence or rebellion, etc.

People who think "freedom of speech" = "freedom of being a ****, and nobody can be offended" are wrong.

If you're aware certain people have problems with a certain word - and you still choose to use the word, then you're the one at fault - or at the very least, don't be surprized if these people react.

If you aren't aware people have problems with a certain word, and use it, only to have people complain about it; then you simply apologize for it & explain it wasn't your intent to offend them.

... that's how grown up (should) do it.

Firstly, freedom of speech is the right of people to express their opinions publicly without governmental interference, subject to the laws against libel, incitement to violence or rebellion, etc.

People who think "freedom of speech" = "freedom of being a ****, and nobody can be offended" are wrong.

If you're aware certain people have problems with a certain word - and you still choose to use the word, then you're the one at fault - or at the very least, don't be surprized if these people react.

If you aren't aware people have problems with a certain word, and use it, only to have people complain about it; then you simply apologize for it & explain it wasn't your intent to offend them.

... that's how grown up (should) do it.

Actually, Freedom of Speech is equal to "Freedom of being an asshole" if you so choose. I shouldnt have to censor myself just because you can't handle hearing swears or using derogatory terms. If you don't like it then usually I would say do something about it. But using these terms are so common these days that people who get offended really dont have any other option than to just ignore it. And that's really what grown ups should do, just ignore it and move on with your life. If you have nothing better to dwell on and worry about than me dropping some swears in a conversation, then youre an adult who obviously does not have your priorities straight. 

inb4 someone says they are offended by this post

I AM OFFENDED BY THIS POST

I was gonna leave it at that, but i decided to try to be serious,

I think that offensiveness is overused as a way of accusing people of not favoring them.-

I was gonna go on, but i seriously  don't know what to say after that. maybe i'll edit it later.

Actually, Freedom of Speech is equal to "Freedom of being an asshole" if you so choose.

"freedom of being a **** " Yes ... but that's not what I said "freedom of being a ****, and nobody can be offended".

Freedom of Speech allows you to say what you want without governmental interference (within limits, like libel or incitement). Unless you're talking to the government, trying to play the freedom of speech card is useless.

I shouldnt have to censor myself just because you can't handle hearing swears or using derogatory terms.

Oh true. Far from it for me to argue you should display a shred of empathy.

Now shush, the grownups are talking.

"freedom of being a **** " Yes ... but that's not what I said "freedom of being a ****, and nobody can be offended".

Freedom of Speech allows you to say what you want without governmental interference (within limits, like libel or incitement). Unless you're talking to the government, trying to play the freedom of speech card is useless.

Oh true. Far from it for me to argue you should display a shred of empathy.

The Freedom of being an asshole in both examples your making is the same thing. If you switch "asshole" with "speech" it's still the same thing. Freedom of Speech can offend people too but no one has a legitimate argument to silence the offenders. 

And yeah, youre right. I have no empathy for people who can't handle themselves in more mature settings. I have no sympathy if I hurt your feelings by saying what I say. I have my opinions and I express them in my own way, if you dont like it dont talk to me. And based off you trying to "hush" me, youre probably one of those people lol.

• Administrators

earnest post comin through.

there's like two major aspects to this. the first is that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, so yes you can say whatever you want but no it doesn't mean that people can't say whatever they want in response to that - including "this offends me"

the other is more simply that people are usually offended because what you said hurts them in some way. it may not be a rational way, in a lot of cases, but that isn't really the point. yes, you have every right to be a complete and utter asshole and not give any shits if you hurt people with things that you say, yes you have a right to call them whiny cry babies and disregard their feelings if you so choose, but why would you want to? what kind of person does this make you?

if i say something that inadvertently makes somebody feel bad about themself, i feel bad about it. i don't want to make them feel sad or upset. even if i think they're being silly and hurt over nothing, i still value that person's feelings.

sometimes it seems like y'all live in this weird world of right vs wrong, when reality isn't really all that clear cut. if i call someone a fucking immature twat as a joke and they are actually hurt by that, i can feel bad about hurting them without admitting or conceding that i did something wrong or bad. i had good intentions, made a joke, and for whatever reason - be it miscommunication, misunderstanding, different views on swear words or insults, different cultural background or worldview - they didn't read it the way i intended it. that doesn't have to make me a shitty person or them a whiny crybaby. i can accept that they read me this way and be more sensitive to that, not because i was wrong, but because i care about people and don't want them to feel bad.

please don't speak to people like this hyperqube, it's unhelpful and unnecessary.

Oh, I'm not saying that I directly approach people and just start going off on them with insults and such. What I'm getting at is where if I swear, use profanity, or just express my opinion in general and someone random gets offended by it, I'm usually not going to apologize. Different people express themselves in different ways and if someone can't handle it you honestly don't have to talk to them, end of story. It's so easy to ignore people these days, if you're a sensitive person take advantage of that. 

Personally, if I do hurt someone's feelings I do feel bad. But let's be real here, life goes on. There's so many other things that are more important than someone's opinion on something, why focus on the bad? I try to be careful with my wording and stuff these days, but it is how it is. No censoring honesty. "White lies" are something similar, but that's another thing kinda. 

When it comes to right and wrong, there's usually a set of social morals (I guess) of where the line is. People who know me usually know that unless I'm in a shitty mood, I'm joking. Anyone who's gotten offended by anything Ive said or done Im sure hasnt tried to talk to me in a while. But it is how it is. If you know me or look at my Twitter or even here on the forums and think Im an asshole then that's fine by me. I think the block button is located somewhere on my profile <3

• Administrators

Personally, if I do hurt someone's feelings I do feel bad. But let's be real here, life goes on. There's so many other things that are more important than someone's opinion on something, why focus on the bad? I try to be careful with my wording and stuff these days, but it is how it is.

life goes on, sure, and each individual case from some random you don't know well is unimportant, but for a lot of people some of these things occur repeatedly, daily. so something like a racist joke is unimportant and easy to shrug off even if it bothers you a little, you can just think "well that person is kinda a dick, whatever", but if you hear these constant little digs multiple times everyday, it's hard. it can wear ya down, man. and again, ofc i defend your right to free speech forever, but i still question the decision to keep doing something when you have been made aware that it hurts someone, even if you think it's dumb for them to be hurt by it.

Archived