"How do you craft this item?" Quiz with rewards!

a peanut

I recently got into playing chess a lot, and using the website chess.com they have little daily "tests" I guess you could call them.  But it usually entails figuring out the best move or moves to make to check the other player. Here is what I'm referring to: 3/16's puzzle.

My idea stems from that, with little daily quizzes that would test us on how to craft a certain item, whether is be a weapon, hat, or misc. The first person, or a set of people, who get it correct could get a raffle ticket for getting it right, or something along that line. 

So I figured to make my idea more clear to every one, I'll do my best to provide an example.

The item to craft: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Candy_Cane

It takes a Kritzkrieg and a Pain Train to craft it, so so would be the solution. 

My layout for the quiz itself would look something like what I've attached. (Just below)

post-169-0-24967000-1363489346_thumb.jpg

From this, you'd click on or drag the specific item into the gray box and when the blue print is correct you'd get a little congratulatory message!  In the message it could say which place you've finished in, and possibly other things.  There could also be an option to see the solution, but would bar you from winning anything as well.

My thoughts behind this idea is that it create another fun way to interactive with the site, and it could create more site traffic!  An accolade could also be involved based on how many blue prints they've gotten correct.

Let me know what you think!  And if you want the .PSD file to tinker yourself let me know and I'll figure out a way to make it available!

Thanks.  Peanut

5 blueprints right=1 rep point!

Not a bad idea, I was thinking that if you got 5 right that would be pretty awesome, and pretty quick since there aren't quite a bit of people who use this site, so maybe like 5 right and you get a raffle ticket?

Not a bad idea, I was thinking that if you got 5 right that would be pretty awesome, and pretty quick since there aren't quite a bit of people who use this site, so maybe like 5 right and you get a raffle ticket?

keep in mind that the answers are available elsewhere on the internet.  a raffle ticket reward would greatly diminish the value of a raffle ticket

keep in mind that the answers are available elsewhere on the internet.  a raffle ticket reward would greatly diminish the value of a raffle ticket

Yeah, but that information is available to everyone.  To be able to look it up, and then respond would be greatly difficult to repeat enough to devalue the raffle ticket.  You have to think if there isn't a great enough reward it would be gimmicky and not many people would be driven to do it.  

Yeah, but that information is available to everyone.  To be able to look it up, and then respond would be greatly difficult to repeat enough to devalue the raffle ticket.  You have to think if there isn't a great enough reward it would be gimmicky and not many people would be driven to do it.  

Raffle tickets are currently in small supply, due to the lack of good voters. This would ruin it.

To be able to look it up, and then respond would be greatly difficult to repeat enough to devalue the raffle ticket.

I missed the part where it was a timed competition.  I thought it was just based on accuracy.  Regardless, I don't think Brad would include another method of getting tickets, since that's one of the draws to premium membership.  Prize aside, I like the idea.

Raffle tickets are currently in small supply, due to the lack of good voters. This would ruin it.

I highly doubt this would ruin it, and here is why:  Just on the forums alone there are about 25 (if I counted correctly) premium members, that's 125 tickets along.  If you get five correct quizzes you get one raffle ticket, if they are daily that is a total of 6 tickets given out a month. Those 6 tickets out of the total are about 5%.  This is not counting the number of tickets given per 100 correct votes as well, which would only lower the percentage more.

I'm not saying that one correct quiz would give a ticket, but if it did, that would only be worth about 20% of the ticket market, so that still isn't too much of a change, but still more than the previous option.

I missed the part where it was a timed competition.  I thought it was just based on accuracy.  Regardless, I don't think Brad would include another method of getting tickets, since that's one of the draws to premium membership.  Prize aside, I like the idea.

Well it isn't the only way to get tickets.  http://puu.sh/2k13G

But I understand what you are saying.

I think it's a great idea, i was thinking of adding quizzes for another raffle idea I had and this is something right along these lines. I'll see if I can come up with something soon!

I think it's a great idea, i was thinking of adding quizzes for another raffle idea I had and this is something right along these lines. I'll see if I can come up with something soon!

Inb4 wiki crafting page gets overflowed

Sweet! Look forward to seeing how this will end up!

Would there be a timer to stop people simply searching the answers?

I don't think it is needed.  For that to work the time would have to be incredibly short, and that would limit the person's ability to take there time if they wanted to do it for fun and not to be competitive.

Since everyone has the opportunity to search for the answer, the timer is implied.  You would be racing against everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted this, but I'd figure I'd give it a bump incase anyone else has an idea they'd like to add, a question they'd like to ask, etc.

It's been a while since I posted this, but I'd figure I'd give it a bump incase anyone else has an idea they'd like to add, a question they'd like to ask, etc.

considering that a ref is still 0.73 ref, I don't think brad is implementing anyting soon

considering that a ref is still 0.73 ref, I don't think brad is implementing anyting soon

I'm really hoping there is a typo there.  If not, I have no idea what you're saying. :P

have you started the project yet?

Me?  I'm the only person who is following this, so ou'd hav to quote brad for him to notice sonner apposed to later.

Just following up on, I'm not if you saw this, but this is the number of tickets from February: 

Total tickets awarded from donations: 607 (over $600 worth received in donations!) 

Total tickets awarded from participation: 1477 (830 users accurately voted more than 100 times!) 

Total tickets awarded from premium status: 520 (104 premium users)

So even if one quiz was a ticket (30 to 31 total a month), that alone would account for just 1.14%.

So I don't see it swinging the votes any time soon :P

• 7 months later...

Ah, an old topic,

I think that this is a bad idea , because this competition would only be about who enters first/ sees it first , since everyone can instantly get the answer form the wiki. But a more challengeing quiz would be nice

Archived