Free Speech

[Unactive Account]

I believe recently the subject of Free speech has been used in different ways. Either is being used in a confusing way or in a way that makes it seem that freedom of speech doesn't apply.

Some examples:

90HlVVB.png

021DNQX.jpg
heujQEP.png

What do you think Freedom of speech is?

Does Freedom of speech exist on the internet?

While I think, on certain sites, you can voice your own opinion freely, you'll be slandered enough for it that you'll be afraid to do so. For example, if I made a thread defending those who identify as animals and gender fluid, I'd probably be mocked to hell so that I'd never show my face again on the forums. 

On the other hand, certain sites do have to censor things for the safety of their viewers. If you go on any typical forum and start pronouncing hate speech for a certain race, you'll probably be instantly banned and have your post deleted.

Depends what site you're on, some sites have the ability to censor what people are saying and/or delete your posts, LIKE THIS SITE.
WAKE UP INTERNET
BACKPACK.TF DOES NOT HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH
YOU ARE BEING FORCED TO CONFORM
WAKE UP

WAKE UP BEFORE THE MODS DELETE THIS POST!!!

Yeah freedom of speech exists, but most of the time we have to sugar coat bullshit for the fuckwits out there who can't handle criticism, or vice versa

e.g. I can't call (whoever on the site) a cunt and not get banned, because that's offensive to another user. While it is your opinion and you're entitled to it, consequences may be in place

TL;DR: Choose your words wisely and you can get across exactly what you want to say without consequences

lets see

a point for posting a fact regarding what an item had been asking for

a point for posting an image from a medieval turkish manuscript

a point for offering to quicksell a hat for bp.tf price + 1 key

a point for 'spa in the trade section' (guess the mod was drunk or something)

a point for posting a picture of a shark in a thread about another user

a point for stating why I believe this site is bad for the community

freedom? lmao

Free speech does not exempt you from the responsibilities and/or consequences of what you say.

Same example as before:

You have the right to go to an airport and yell that you have a bomb. That is your right to do so but it wont mean you wont get arrested on the spot.

It varies.

You can voice your arguments on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr - anywhere on the internet really.

However, freedom of speech only goes to some extent, due to the fact that the content of that speech can be offend some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/theres-a-petition-to-ban-donald-trump-from-the-uk-on-hate-speech-grounds--WyIIrWNhX5l

You can say whatever you want. However, either, you won't get any reactions from anyone or you'll get reactions that go against your point of view.

Free speech does not exempt you from the responsibilities and/or consequences of what you say.

Same example as before:

You have the right to go to an airport and yell that you have a bomb. That is your right to do so but it wont mean you wont get arrested on the spot.

To add on to this, Free Speech means you can say what you like..

It does not, however, mean that people must listen to you, or take what you say seriously.

Same example as before:

they might arrest you on circumstantial but they cant put you in prison for saying something like that.

Remember that girl who tweeted US Airlines and said she had a bomb and they took it seriously, they couldn't prosecute her because she used her 1st amendment right.

Posted · Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 28, 2016 - No reason given

i like my toast more cooked than normally because it has that extra crisp to it, you know?

Posted · Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 28, 2016 - No reason given

i like my toast more cooked than normally because it has that extra crisp to it, you know?

Cool, but what does that have to do with freedom of speech?

they might arrest you on circumstantial but they cant put you in prison for saying something like that.

Remember that girl who tweeted US Airlines and said she had a bomb and they took it seriously, they couldn't prosecute her because she used her 1st amendment right.

Which sorta illustrates my point they can't arrest you based on your right to say you have a bomb but you can be damn sure they will get you down for obstruction of justice, not to mention making a fake bomb threat is a federal offence and they could have thrown her in jail for 10years on that alone...

EDIT:

" Making a false bomb threat is a federal offence punishable under United States Code 18-844(e), with a penalty of up to 10 years in prison, $250,000 fine, or both. This penalty also applies to juvenile offenders (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives 2003)."

"Freedom of speech" as it's most commonly referenced is generally from a US citizen's point of view.  In this case, the 1st amendment protects 5 forms of speech, I don't feel like covering them so look it up.  Actions such as libel or slander are in fact ILLEGAL.  The 1st amendment also has no affect on the internet.  If you're some jackass that joins a server, shouts racist profanity over the mic, then claims it's freedom of speech, I think euthanasia should be an open option... who says that any servers/websites you visit are even hosted in the US anyways?  

Other nations aside from the US have different laws protecting speech.  Some are even more "free", but most tend to be about the same or far more strict.  In the US, any form of speech that can be considered a threat to national security or puts the public in danger is often punishable.  Yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater will get you in a heap of trouble, because it incites panic and can cause injuries/death in the panic that ensues.

Other nations aside from the US have different laws protecting speech.

for example - some countrires have laws against holocause denial

( in belgium the minium punishement for it is 8 days in jail, and a € 3.84  ( = $ 4.26)  fine )

Archived