Discord chat?

Captain Caboose

Status updates aren't a real way to have a conversation with multiple people

Taking a look at the ARG Discord right now its a pretty solid working system, you can divide up subchat-rooms for certain topics

its free so why not :?

here's the comparion to Teamspeak, Curse Voice and Skype: https://discordapp.com/

I already use it with my main community, I don't see a reason backpack.tf couldn't use it as well.

The ability to set different userlevels is the main reason we moved to it.

The server I admin on run a discord chat. Pretty smooth interface, and it's pretty easy to connect to a server. You can set certain people to have certain permissions, lock certain channels on the server to certain ranks. Multiple chat channels, and multiple voice channels. Another good thing to note is that the desktop app barely takes any resources.

The server I admin on run a discord chat. Pretty smooth interface, and it's pretty easy to connect to a server. You can set certain people to have certain permissions, lock certain channels on the server to certain ranks. Multiple chat channels, and multiple voice channels. Another good thing to note is that the desktop app barely takes any resources.

This basically. I use it with a Twitch channel community, and it's really convenient. Emotes are readily available and diverse, you have easy VoIP and text channels, along with restrictions to certain channels by rank, mics and alerts can be muted, etc. Overall, it's really great for managing decently sized communities.

Edit: They also have a mobile app on iOS (don't know about Windows or Droid) which doesn't require a static IP. All it needs is your login info and channel access.

This basically. I use it with a Twitch channel community, and it's really convenient. Emotes are readily available and diverse, you have easy VoIP and text channels, along with restrictions to certain channels by rank, mics and alerts can be muted, etc. Overall, it's really great for managing decently sized communities.

Edit: They also have a mobile app on iOS (don't know about Windows or Droid) which doesn't require a static IP. All it needs is your login info and channel access.

Can confirm there is an android app.

The layout of discord looks like they just ripped off slack.

Also anything that involves further conversation than a status update could honestly just be a thread. Trying to divide up status updates which need more discussion into subsets is literally one of the points of having the rest of the forum.

Having an official voice chat for the backpack.tf forums is unnecessary. Its not written, so moderating it to make sure people are being civil is way too large of a hassle than its worth, and discerning people's voices if someone were to record it is also an issue. I should think its already annoying enough for moderators to trace the paper trail when petty name-calling and middle-school dramas break out on the forums. I can't imagine the added work that would go into trying to resolve the issues if it were to happen on voice chat. This is why it would be better to have an unofficial version such as the backpack.tf skype group which I am unsure still exists or is used.

I like discord but it doesn't really integrate with the forums or our site at all. If it allowed steam authentication it'd be a start...

Archived