Physics

MC22

I have a Large Hadron Collider in my pants.

Dear god, for a second there I saw "d" and "r" reversed...

What's your obsession with phalli about anyway? :unsure:

Dear god, for a second there I saw "d" and "r" reversed...

What's your obsession with phalli about anyway? :unsure:

Probably trying to strike it rich getting Gold, but instead he just gets Mad Milk and Jarate.

Interesting. Is there any notable real world example where jerk (and the ones after that) are not constant?

The only thing I can think of would be a distant galaxy moving away from us at a non-constant acceleration due to the accelerated expansion of the universe (space itself).

You are overthinking it. A real world example would be some sort of oscillatory motion, like a mass bouncing on a spring. It's displacement from equilibrium as a function of time would be some sort of sinusoidal wave. If you have had first semester calculus you know the first derivative of sine is cosine and then it goes -sine, -cosine, and then back to sine again for the 2nd 3rd and 4th derivatives respectfully. So mathematically there is a real world example, but knowing the 4th 5th and 6th derivatives is trivial and that is why no one ever talks about jerk, jolt, etc.

You are overthinking it. A real world example would be some sort of oscillatory motion, like a mass bouncing on a spring. It's displacement from equilibrium as a function of time would be some sort of sinusoidal wave. If you have had first semester calculus you know the first derivative of sine is cosine and then it goes -sine, -cosine, and then back to sine again for the 2nd 3rd and 4th derivatives respectfully. So mathematically there is a real world example, but knowing the 4th 5th and 6th derivatives is trivial and that is why no one ever talks about jerk, jolt, etc.

Right, but that's, as you said, trivial and not very interesting. What I meant is, a real world example where the actual figure has some real world meaning.

I found one for Jerk by now: designing roller coasters to be less stressful.

• 4 months later...

Gravity is the force by which two bodies containing mass are attracted to each other. 

So technically, qt, you are attracted to me.  ;) ;) ;)

Gravity is the force by which two bodies containing mass are attracted to each other. 

So technically, qt, you are attracted to me.   ;) ;) ;)

Oh baby, it's just that you're so massive.

Archived