Is something still offensive, even if nobody is offended by it?

There

of·fen·sive
adjective

1. 1.
    causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry.

By this logic, I can say offensive stuff, and if nobody is offended, then I am in fact not saying anything offensive. Correct?

i wouldnt say so. i could say my boss is a terrible nigger which deserves to be a slave. and noone in the room except an asshole who reports me to the police and id get some jailtime or minor offence added to my sheet.

even though noone cared i would still get in trouble for it.

i wouldnt say so. i could say my boss is a terrible $^@#%@#% which deserves to be a slave. and noone in the room except an asshole who reports me to the police and id get some jailtime or minor offence added to my sheet.

In a way, that sort of is offensive. You're saying your boss deserves to be a slave, and he would most likely take offense to that. Also, I would watch your language, this isn't the GB.

I still don't understand how people can get upset about words. Nothing said to me would ever make me mad, unless it is in French

omelette du fromage

am i doing this right?

If a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I don't see how the posed question is any different

omelette du fromage

am i doing this right?

No. Right now the cheese (fromage) owns the omelette. An omelet with cheese would be omelette au fromage. And I said about saying it. The sound of it annoys me. I don't care about typed words

If a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I don't see how the posed question is any different

The posed question is different because nearly everybody thinks that, in your example, yes, the tree does make a sound.

If one intended to be offensive, then one is being offensive. If no one gets offended, that just means one is incompetent/too obtuse.

Or they are not trying to actually offend anyone. Can I go around calling people n****rs with no actual intention of offending them? Of course not. 

i wouldnt say so. i could say my boss is a terrible nigger which deserves to be a slave. and noone in the room except an asshole who reports me to the police and id get some jailtime or minor offence added to my sheet.

Why would you get jailtime for that?

The posed question is different because nearly everybody thinks that, in your example, yes, the tree does make a sound.

But if nobody is around to get offended from the insult, is it taken as offensive? It's still offensive, nobody takes offense, though. The sound is made, but nobody hears it. It's a 1:1 comparison for the most part.

But if nobody is around to get offended from the insult, is it taken as offensive? It's still offensive, nobody takes offense, though. The sound is made, but nobody hears it. It's a 1:1 comparison for the most part.

No. It depends on how you define sound. Some people define that a sound must have a receive, eg. ear, and so a tree falling does not make a sound. 

No. It depends on how you define sound. Some people define that a sound must have a receive, eg. ear, and so a tree falling does not make a sound. 

bugs hear it

Some people define "offensive" insults as needing a receive, eg. ear of a the group being slandered, and so an insult being said does not make an impact without a person of the slandered group being present.

I still don't see how it's not the same as that analogy, whether you define sound as being recieve-dependent or not. It's the same trite argument in a different package. It's a 1:1 comparison.

phrases like "Washington Redskins" and "wasssssup, n*gga" do not actually offend people.

They only "offend" the people who think these phrases should be offending to other people.

political correctness in a nutshell

I still don't understand how people can get upset about words. Nothing said to me would ever make me mad, unless it is in French

Why, French is sexy?

Archived