Valve decided to kill trading completely

!каблам

"Hello everyone, 

Cygnus informed me that Valve is about to add a new feature that will make trading much harder and longer. When it gets released, it could mean the end of bot trading services too. 

The code is already in the javascript: 
http://steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.net/public/javascript/economy.js?v=YixMKYnktrpd&l=english 

'What is Escrow?', After a trade has been accepted by both parties, if either party's account has not been secured by the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, then to protect against unauthorized trades, the traded items will be placed in escrow. During the escrow period, the items will not be available to either user. This allows users who have not secured their accounts to cancel any unauthorized trades and recover their items. Canceling all pending and in-escrow trades will place a trading hold on your account for a few days to prevent any further unauthorized attempts to trade away items.

There's a petition against this new "feature": 
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/steam-escrow-petition  "

If this is real, trading will be so dead we'll see the true death of tf2

Your thoughts?

l8 comments will be reported as spam

What if this is a marketing ploy in order to make more people 'trade' with Steam Community Market? Valve, of course, always gets around 10-15%, depending on the game the item comes from, and thus, more money in their wallets. After some time escrow is implemented, the efficiency of trading normally would be questioned and people may look to SCM in order to make profit (somehow)

Isn't this like the 15th topic about this? My stance remains the same. I don't want this.

Only saw 1 other besides mine and it was to inform, my thread is to discuss this bullshit

>introduce  / plan various updates to "revive" TF2 (gun mettle, comp matchmaking which is in works)

>kill trading, which'll kill like half of TF2

C'mon valve.

I feel as if Valve is just simply sick of dealing with all the scamming reports and is just trying to make trading as idiot-proof as possible. Unfortunately for them, the community will just make a better idiot instead.

If this were to be put into effect, I'm sure that within a few weeks it will be removed. Valve is a smart company when it comes to business decisions. If they see something is not working and a large portion of their customers are complaining about the service they have put into effect, I'm certain they would remove it. But if something like this is put into effect and never removed, then r.i.p.

I'm doubtful it will be that way though.

I feel as if Valve is just simply sick of dealing with all the scamming reports and is just trying to make trading as idiot-proof as possible. Unfortunately for them, the community will just make a better idiot instead.

Harder, Better, Faster, Stupider

If this were to be put into effect, I'm sure that within a few weeks it will be removed. Valve is a smart company when it comes to business decisions. If they see something is not working and a large portion of their customers are complaining about the service they have put into effect, I'm certain they would remove it. But if something like this is put into effect and never removed, then r.i.p.

I'm doubtful it will be that way though.

Yep. When this goes into play, I give two weeks before valve gets rid of it. Exactly the same way when trade captcha and paid mods were introduced.

This probably won't affect me because my mobile is already linked with steam. But I can see where you're coming from. This is bullshit.

Sorry but I don't really understand how this works?

This new policy means you need to confirm the trade again or what?

Confirm on a phone from both people or trade is delayed by a few days and none of you can use the items.

If this is real, trading will be so dead we'll see the true death of tf2

Because these days, TF2 is nothing but a trading simulator. Then again, with the path that Valve is walking TF2 down, that might eventually be true. 

Anyway, as with everyone, I'm against this unnecessary rule. 

What if this is a marketing ploy in order to make more people 'trade' with Steam Community Market? Valve, of course, always gets around 10-15%, depending on the game the item comes from, and thus, more money in their wallets. After some time escrow is implemented, the efficiency of trading normally would be questioned and people may look to SCM in order to make profit (somehow)

That would work, if stuff traded on SCM didn't have a one week trading restriction.

spam :^)

But in all seriousness, this update could potentially kill not just TF2 trading but Dota 2 and CS:GO as well.

I'm gonna presume that waiting time during Escrow will be 7 days each. (worst case scenario) 

Bad side effects

Normal item trading

Any websites/users that uses bot will be hit the hardest because all of their items stuck in Escrow during trading period.

If there are flipping common and cheap items such as a cosmetic, it won't be so common anymore because wasting 5 days just for 1 ref or 1 key profit just ain't gonna cut it. 

Meaning flipping will become less and less common, this might end users who only uses flipping cosmetics to profit.

If there are flipping items such australiums, bots might have the slight advantage because most normal traders don't have advantages such as high amount of keys to work with.

Normal traders on the other hand that just started out with 10 keys they'll try to flip a key each trade, but it'll cost too much time.

For instance, you only have 15 keys, you bought a Strange Australium Force-A-Nature for 12 keys, and the trade happens at let's say: 12/1/2015

12 keys <-----> Strange Australium Force-A-Nature 

Wait 7 days ----> 12/8/2015

Strange Australium Force-A-Nature <-----> 13 Keys

Wait 7 days ----> 12/15/2015

Congrats, you spend 14 days trying to flip one key and to make matters much worse if panic sellers arrived before you sell your item, your basically force to quicksell meaning you made nothing while wasting 14 days.

Unless normal trades reduce their buying prices, this makes them almost impossible to profit more than 2 keys per month if it really is 7 day restriction per trade.

Or they would buy a large amount of keys to work with instead and hopefully be able to make decent profit.

This means most normal traders who trades only these items and not unusual items will suffer a lot and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Bots will have a slight advantage in key flipping against users who does not have mobile authenticator enabled.

However if the normal trader has mobile authenticator enabled, this will makes them a higher chance of profiting than bots, unless they're trading with another person who has mobile authenticator enabled as well. 

As both users needs to have mobile authenticator enabled so they could avoid Escrow period all together.

To make matters much worse, those users that have mobile authenticator enabled they might be only interested in trading with other users which has mobile authenticator enabled as well. They'll might completely not trade with another user who doesn't have mobile authenticator on. They'll definitely be some traders like that.

Bots won't survive unless they have more than 200 keys per bot.

Oh boy time for Unusual Trading

For unusual trading, it will a lot much worse, for instance, if a trader wants to buy your unusual but you'll have to wait 1 week just for his keys to become tradeble, but if Escrow comes here, you'll get fucked over meaning you'll have to wait another 1 week to trade, makes matter much worse if the trader changes his mine and goes after other unusuals during this time, congrats you just lost a good deal.

Another good example is when a trader who send you trade for your unusual and offers your B/o. But changes his mine during the Escrow period unless you drop your B/o lower. Meaning you'll basically ending up dropping till basically 60-90% of your B/o and have to wait 1 week before he accepts. Where you could have just gotten keys for your B/o without Escrow.

Buying quicksales will never be the same again, they'll be effected the most after bots, a trader wants to quicksell his unusual to you for 50% of his unusual's price just like your quickbuying trade listed, but during the Escrow period, he get's offered near his B/o, destroying your hopes of flipping it higher. Meaning new traders who offered near his B/o will suffer sure, but you'll suffer the most.

Websites that uses bots

Websites that uses bots on betting such CS:GO Lounge will possibly suffer a lot, you could have potentially lost a underdog bet if you did not put your bet into the bot before the match happens 7 days ago. If you want to withdraw your items, another 7 days of waiting. 

Other websites that are used on a daily basis for trading purposes such as Scrap TF will suffered as well, with about 100+ bots, they simply can't have mobile authenticator enabled for every bot.

However, they'll dominate against bots due to the fact they own a ton of keys to work with (presumably).

Chances of Escrow being added into Steam is much lower now due to people complaining due to petition and stuff, even with all the protection the user had and if they still fall for scams, they should not deserve those items as Steam gave them methods to protect their items.

However, there are good benefits if it does get played into effect.

Reduced shark attacks + successful scams

If a newbie who doesn't have mobile authenticator enabled unboxed a god-tier unusual, many sharkers added him and attempt to shark him are in for a shock as they find out their are gonna have to wait 7 days for the trade. While that's happening users who adds the newbie could warn him about sharks and bad trades saving a newbie from getting sharked.

There is not doubt that this could reduce successful scams after all this is point of Escrow.

However the negative side effects outnumber the positive side effects.

Personally, I think if Escrow does get added, it wouldn't last more than a week due to the complains it had already received before it got even released. But if it stays permanent trading will forever be change. Don't read the spoiler tag, I beg you will die trying to read it.

Funny how "escrow" sounds like "escroc", which basically means "scammer" in french.

If you spell escrow backwards and remove the c, it spells "worse".  Worse has five letters.  A pentagram is a five pointed upside down star.  Each of the five points of a pentagram star are at the peak of a triangle.  A triangle has three sides.  Escrow has six letters.  Three sixes makes six six six, the number of the beast.

Illuminati confirmed.

This probably won't affect me because my mobile is already linked with steam. But I can see where you're coming from. This is bullshit.

It will affect you when you want to trade with someone who doesn't have it.

Archived