History essay help (Germany, about Hitler)

CecilyLovesYou<3™

So hi guys, and the period of time I'm studying about Hitler is when he just got in jail after the Munich Putsch (Beer Hall, where he got 3 army generals in gunpoint to win votes)

So the question is: In what ways can the Munich Putsch be considered a success for Hitler and the nazi party?

And one of the main reasons I found in the textbook is that Hitler realised he needed to have complete control over the Party to guarantee it’s future success.

But isn't Hitler already having complete control over the Nazis at that time? Need urgent help on this :c

Google is your friend.

If I can find this through google, I wouldn't have asked here, but I can't. Google is crap sometimes.

It wasn't a success in any kind of way for HItler. It was an utter failure. He learned a lot of it because of that, sure. But that doesn't make it a success. The only way I can somewhat see it as a success is it giving the NSDAP attention under the motto "There is no such thing as bad publicity". But really, it was a miserable failure for the NSDAP. Pick a different subject

It wasn't a success in any kind of way for HItler. It was an utter failure. He learned a lot of it because of that, sure. But that doesn't make it a success. The only way I can somewhat see it as a success is it giving the NSDAP attention under the motto "There is no such thing as bad publicity". But really, it was a miserable failure for the NSDAP. Pick a different subject

IGCSE doesn't allow you to change questions, so basically I'm stuck with this crappy question, and all I can do is to copy from the textbook and wonder what can I do

But really, I'm just copying the successes from the textbook, blame the authors, not me :P

-utter horseshit-

puddingkip, stop being ridiculous.

The fact that Hitler raised publicity is very important.  The Beer Hall Putsch created headlines globally and raised Hitler's profile.  It raised his profile and that of his Nazi party tremendously.  His arrest was followed by a 24-day trial in which he could express his own opinion on a much wider platform than was previously available to him.  Furthermore, it reflected positively on the Nazi Party as it showed that the party was clearly willing to take action for what it believed in, unlike many other contemperaneous parties.

In addition, he wrote Mein Kampf while he stayed in prison.  Millions of Germans read it and learned about his ideas.  Again, he could spread his ideas much more easily.

He also realised that he had to change his approach to gaining power.  Previously he thought revolution was the best way to attain his objective, but now he had to focus on using legitimate means to come to power, which meant producing convincing Nazi propaganda instead of recruiting more Stormtroopers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/germany/munichputschrev3.shtml

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/modern-world-history-1918-to-1980/weimar-germany/the-beer-hall-putsch-of-1923/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCE-History-Germany-1900-45/dp/043530805X

Google is crap sometimes.

It isn't if you know how to use it.

But isn't Hitler already having complete control over the Nazis at that time? Need urgent help on this :c

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/nazi-germany/ernst-rohm/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Strasser

http://www.johndclare.net/Weimar6.htm

In addition, he wrote Mein Kampf while he stayed in prison.  Millions of Germans read it and learned about his ideas.  Again, he could spread his ideas much more easily.

The actual sentence he received for what was essentially treason was extremely lenient due to the political background/views of the judiciary.

puddingkip, stop being ridiculous.

The fact that Hitler raised publicity is very important.  The Beer Hall Putsch created headlines globally and raised Hitler's profile.  It raised his profile and that of his Nazi party tremendously.  His arrest was followed by a 24-day trial in which he could express his own opinion on a much wider platform than was previously available to him.  Furthermore, it reflected positively on the Nazi Party as it showed that the party was clearly willing to take action for what it believed in, unlike many other contemperaneous parties.

He also realised that he had to change his approach to gaining power.  Previously he thought revolution was the best way to attain his objective, but now he had to focus on using legitimate means to come to power, which meant producing convincing Nazi propaganda instead of recruiting more Stormtroopers.

Yes he gained something from that. But was that a success? He learned from his defeat and it sure shaped him for the future. But that all still doesn't make it a success. Being thrown in jail is not a success no matter what you do in jail

Yes he gained something from that. But was that a success? He learned from his defeat and it sure shaped him for the future. But that all still doesn't make it a success. Being thrown in jail is not a success no matter what you do in jail

Clearly you are using a very superficial metric to measure success.  Success isn't defined by what happened in the short-term, but its resulting consequences over time.

If you use your time in jail to 1) establish political connections with the public, 2) publicise your political ideas, 3) act as a political martyr, 4) show that your party is willing to take violent, and even excessive action to fight for its cause, Hitler's time in jail was certainly a good investment of time.

It might have been a temporary setback, but in the wider scheme of things your argument is untenable.

-stuff-

So wait, Rohm brought the SA to the Beer Hall, and Hitler had no direct control over the SA, according from what I read? I am still rather confused on how Hitler didn't have complete control over the Nazis. Isn't Rohm close friends with Hitler, and Hitler can basically order him and his troops around?

So wait, Rohm brought the SA to the Beer Hall, and Hitler had no direct control over the SA, according from what I read? I am still rather confused on how Hitler didn't have complete control over the Nazis. Isn't Rohm close friends with Hitler, and Hitler can basically order him and his troops around?

Rohm was still friendly with Hitler at this point, but Rohm held a vast amount of power as leader of the SA and just after 1923 is when the SA/SS conflict + the whole "Second Revolution" begins to arise. Strasser was the more immediate threat, but Rohm could also have challenged Hitler early on. In terms of ideology and loyalty, the SS were far closer to Hitler than the SA (due to Rohm's political views + the type of people being recruited into the SA), who Hitler could only direct from prison after the Putsch - until 1925 but by this time the Strasser brothers held substantial influence (

Hitler's biographies might be a good place to start.

For example:

Hitler: A Study in Tyranny by Alan Bullock

Hitler: 1889-1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw

If you can't find books on Google, than Amazon is good place to search for. Good luck.

I was under the impression that Hitler only really became popular with the mainstream German population after Mein Kampf. Despite being in prison giving him nothing to do but write the book, he probably would have wrote it anyways. I dont think the putsch hall business was a success in any way.

Archived