Discontinued Items.

Draconzis

I'm a collector. I'm currently not that good of a trader, so my collection is rather low. I've been thinking recently to take a bit of my profits from the last few days of trading and adding to my collection, then I went to thinking that there are discontinued items, as in items where no new drops of those items are ever going to happen. I think I want to get those types of items to add to my collection before the prices rises too much. Is there any place, perhaps a wiki page, that lists such discontinued items?

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=Limited&category_440_Type%5B%5D=any&appid=440#p1_default_desc

Any item that contains the word "Limited" next to its level can be listed on the SCM, so here's a list of every item that's "Limited."

List includes Vintages, Festives, Promos, Retired Hats, Items from crates that you can no longer unbox, etc.

I think I want to get those types of items to add to my collection before the prices rises too much. 

That's not a guarantee at all.   Actually, there is little evidence to suggest that limited items increase in value at all.   When you look at all the strange festives for example (all of which are discontinued and cannot be unboxed anymore), they've always gone down, rather than up.   E.g. I remember when a SF Rocket Launcher was 40 keys, now it's 16. SF Grenade Launcher was 12 keys, now it's barely 4.  ETC.   They might get a bit of a bump around Christmas time, but the overall trend is down.   

Point being, if you're getting into collecting limited items because you think the collection will gain in value vs lose value, you may want to reconsider. 

That's not a guarantee at all.   Actually, there is little evidence to suggest that limited items increase in value at all.   When you look at all the strange festives for example (all of which are discontinued and cannot be unboxed anymore), they've always gone down, rather than up.   E.g. I remember when a SF Rocket Launcher was 40 keys, now it's 16. SF Grenade Launcher was 12 keys, now it's barely 4.  ETC.   They might get a bit of a bump around Christmas time, but the overall trend is down.   

Point being, if you're getting into collecting limited items because you think the collection will gain in value vs lose value, you may want to reconsider. 

Exactly. Price isn't just related to the fact that they're limited. They may be limited, but how many thousands of them are there already in existence? The only way the price will go up is if either the supply dramatically decreases or the demand dramatically increases. And honestly, just based on the fact that there are so many out there, both would probably have to happen before you see any price changes.

Cant really even analyze strange festives and their price over time. The new skin models crashed a lot of the old stranges and strange festives.

Cant really even analyze strange festives and their price over time. The new skin models crashed a lot of the old stranges and strange festives.

In the case of the 2011 Festives, you have data reaching back to July 2012.  That's plenty of pricing data to analyze.  And Festives (and stranges and all other items in general) were on the decline long before new skins ever hit the market. If anything the new skins are just another example of how most items don't retain their value anymore, let alone go up. 

That's a large part of the reason that prices are dropping in the first place. As new items are introduced, the demand for any specific item drops.

besides the SCM link that knave posted, take a look at old Halloween stuff mayhaps

also dunno if this counts, but vintage/ genuine items :u?

Collector's quality weapons seem to be on a general upward trend while also being limited as Collector's Chemistry Sets haven't dropped since last year.

I feel that if you're going to collect something, it should be because you enjoy collecting it, not because of it's monetary value.

'Investing' is probably the more appropriate word here.

But I look forward to the day I can buy a S. F. Rocket Launcher for a key.

That is probably also the day TF2 is about to die for good.

Archived