Government Pay

Python.

So I live with my step-mom now, as some of you know. What you might not have known is that she's on disability

What this basically means is that she ate a bunch of shit, got fat and now, can't work. So the government pays her because she can't work because of her "disability" which she gave herself

Honestly if a disability can be avoided with changing a simple thing like that of a diet then I don't think that should be worthy of a $1500 each month to continue that disease

And although it might be slightly ironic if the $1500 she gets is all in food stamps due to her condition, it's not

She is given $1500 cash

This she uses to smoke pot, buy tubs of chocolate ice cream and sugary treats, cigarettes and her only hobby she's physically capable of: lighting candles.

Real talk though, she legit spent $60 on 4, one-liter wax candles. That was part of the $150 spending limit our dad gave her to use on groceries (yes, he gives her a limit)

So, if this really fair? I have other examples, like our grandpa living off taxpayer money for the last 25 or so years (which is also ironic because he's a republican and doesn't believe in the affordable care act yet he literally lives off people who pay taxes)

What limits should we give to these checks? Should these checks only be given to people with certain specifications, or lack thereof?

I personally believe that people's spending should be monitored on a every-so-often basis and check what the money is being spent on. If the money is, for example like you said, spent on unnecessary things such as ice cream, pot, and candles, then lessen the amount of money given per month. However, if the money is spent on essential things such as financing, housing, gas, electricity, etc., give them the same amount ($1,500) and maybe a bit more if they're struggling to make ends meet even with a job. It'll cost some extra money, but it might keep things under stricter surveillance than just "Here's $1,500. Go spend it how you like."

This will always be an issue, because there are so many variables that go into it. For example, we have your mother who essentially gave herself a disability, and now uses the money to buy random shit with. But what if she used the money for productive things and turned herself around? What if someone with an actual disability used the money on random shit? There's no real way to tell what people will do with disability money, and thus I can't think of a blanket solution that would cover everything.

I think the only viable solution would be to set regulations on what the money can be spent on, so that we know what the money is actually being spent on. The idea of disability money is good, but letting people run free with $1,500 isn't. 

Wasnt their some lady in the UK who refused free liposuction since she wanted to remain "disabled" and recieve pay...etc

And no, if you are "disabled" because of your life style choices you should get no money from the government but if she was fat because of a thyroid problem then sure.

This is similar to whats happening in Australia as well, quite a few people get fortnightly pay outs of ~250$ for youth allowance or ~500$ for new start allowance though there are some requirments. Eg for new start you need to apply for jobs to continue recieving payouts...etc but most people just purposely bomb the interview so they dont have to work. Most are people who have inherited a house from their parents and so they essentially get 250$ allowance per week for just screwing around and food.

Imo many payments should be timed, i.e. if you havent fixed your problem in X amount of time and receiving Y pay you're a lost cause and should have your funds cut instead of being the enabler. 

I once convinced centerlink that I was paying rent and spent it all on alcohol tbh (my job also pays in untaxed cash)

the problem is once you remove these checks people are unable to buy basic needs due to how irresponsible they are with their money

I once convinced centerlink that I was paying rent and spent it all on alcohol tbh

I know someone who is "self employed" and they purposely lowered her "earnings" so meet the requirement for payouts...etc

Granted she isnt a bad person who uses it on drugs/alcohol but it's disgustingly easy to get pay from centrelink

Hey Python,

I sympathize for you and your family, being in that situation must be not only be horrible for you, but your whole family. I can see that you must have some distaste for your mother in her current state, you may consider her selfish, useless or self absorbed; but remember that she must be going through a lot of heart ache just as you are. 

Welfare is needed for a successful country, it pulls up the lower class and supports community involvement for disadvantaged families. Government pay does not cost the state much tax payer funds, if any, when implemented correctly. This will hopefully change your opinion of Welfare, and why it should be expanded across all countries. 

The Economic Advantage of Welfare:

When a family or person, such as your mother, gets (lets use for a simple example) a $3 food stamp, normally they would go spend this food stamp at a local supermarket. This food stamp costed the Government $3, which can funded by hard working tax payers (but normally is not), let us investigate into how the government actually gets this $3 to give as welfare. We will use the example of buying a $3 loaf of bread.

This example is very simplified and in reality it is a lot more complex, but lets give it a go: First, a farming business harvests some wheat and sells it to a bakery for $1.80. Lets say the government has a 25% tax on this, so the government collects 45 cents. This bakery then bakes the wheat and makes bread, which it then sells to a packing company for $2. The government then takes its 25%, now they have earned 45 cents + 50 cents. The packing company then packs the bread and sells it to a wholesaler for $2.60. The government then takes its cut, so 95 cents +  65 cents. The wholesaler then sells it a high quality supermarket or federal branch of a supermarket for $2.80. The government then earns 1.60+ .70. This big supermarket then sells it to a smaller, cheaper one which accepts food stamps for 2.86. The government then takes its cut which is 2.30+ 73. The government has now earned $3.03 from taxing the process of making, selling and transporting the bread. They then give $3 to as welfare so someone will buy the bread, and the Government actually earns 3 cents. Now imagine this multiplied by millions of people and families. This is why welfare is important and beneficial. 

The Social Advantage of Welfare:

Giving money to poorer families lets them have a fair go at getting a job, earning money and contributing to their country and community. I dont know how old you are, but I bet you remember back to your first job: the excitement of opening a bank account, working your shift and earning your own money is a great experience. It is a primary tenet of human productivity, and although we may not directly accept it, work makes us human. Welfare allows people with unfair situations have the opportunity to get a job, of course, sometimes this opportunity is abused. 

Welfare is not only a moral service, its a communal service that we should all fully support. 
It always needs to be expanded. 

Archived