Exceptions for age on moderator Apps?

JayTuut

s  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be exceptions for age if the person is mature enough?

• Yes
    • No

Now, basically im doing this on the concept of roller.

Anyway. In the rules/guidelines to apply for mod it states you must be 18 or older to apply, I believe there should be some exceptions to this.

People like roller have much maturity to take on this role, and hes only 15, I feel like if the mods feel the person is mature enough, then there should be exceptions made.

Just discuss about exceptions.

Considering that even Baloo wasnt given an exception when he applied I highly doubt this will go anywhere :S

Imo it is rare to find someone who isnt 18+ to be genuinely what I would consider "mature" and the age requirement does filter out a lot of [unmod material] users, I dont mind having exceptions for specific users who have contributed a lot to the community but then what then becomes the criteria to assess this without being unfair?

There's no such thing as age on the internet, only maturity.

However, unlike age, maturity can't be measured accurately. There is no definite way to test how mature a person is, except maybe through community feedback, but it's still rather inaccurate and may cause a few problems, as mentioned by Gent. Therefore, it would be a lot simpler to stick with the age limit. 

I thought I was mature when I was sixteen. By the time I was seventeen, I realized I'd been immature then. I thought I was ready for mod six months ago, even now I realize I wasn't. I don't think I'd have been mature enough until very recently.

Biased I regards to this argument but when I applied to ppm they liked to link age to maturity which at the time I was 14 but now 15. I did have the maturity at the time but I still laugh how at times I could be immature. IMO there should be something to prove one self to be mature instead of age which can be faked easily or you can just as easily be a fool at 18+.

I seem to remember in soneone's mod app, a mod posted (might have been polar) saying they were too young and said somewhere in there that the brain doesn't fully develop until you're 20. Just thought that might be helpful to mention.

I'm 19

I didn't think you were under 18, just seems that he may be one of the people that dislike you

Also I don't think that is matters to him what you say you are because he wont beielive you, not sure who he is thinking of

I didn't think you were under 18, just seems that he may be one of the people that dislike you

Also I don't think that is matters to him what you say you are because he wont beielive you, not sure who he is thinking of

I don't think crabislav dislikes me. And I think I know who he's talking about but that fellow is retired

I thought I was mature when I was sixteen. By the time I was seventeen, I realized I'd been immature then. I thought I was ready for mod six months ago, even now I realize I wasn't. I don't think I'd have been mature enough until very recently.

Yeah, looking back to last December (when I originally applied) I don't think I could've made half the decisions I can make now.

I've never seem age as a problem, only maturity

As community feedback is a factor on mod apps, age shouldn't be a requirement

If someone who is immature or unqualified to be a mod, they will be told so, regardless of age. Just seems like an unnecessary standard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This is kinda amusing because it basically just says that you're a bad judge of your own maturity, which suggests that what you think of your maturity now doesn't really mean anything as you could easily realise in another year that you were still immature. :P

Honestly, the idea that you're suddenly gonna feel mature one day is kinda a kid thing. I don't feel any more mature than I did when I was 17. The main difference is just having a wider range of life experiences to draw on. That's why age rather than just perceived maturity can be a good metric. I say "can be" because it isn't always... some people have lived a ton of different experiences by the time they're 18, some have barely any by the time they're 30, but as a general rule the older people will tend to have experienced more.

One of my admins is a teenager and occasionally makes decisions or judgments I think are misguided are immature. Some of my admins are in their 20s-40s and they occasionally do the same, though, lol.

This is kinda amusing because it basically just says that you're a bad judge of your own maturity, which suggests that what you think of your maturity now doesn't really mean anything as you could easily realise in another year that you were still immature. :P

Honestly, the idea that you're suddenly gonna feel mature one day is kinda a kid thing. I don't feel any more mature than I did when I was 17. The main difference is just having a wider range of life experiences to draw on. That's why age rather than just perceived maturity can be a good metric. I say "can be" because it isn't always... some people have lived a ton of different experiences by the time they're 18, some have barely any by the time they're 30, but as a general rule the older people will tend to have experienced more.

One of my admins is a teenager and occasionally makes decisions or judgments I think are misguided are immature. Some of my admins are in their 20s-40s and they occasionally do the same, though, lol.

When I was writing that, I remember realizing that it may come across that way, but I actually do think I'm ready for mod now, not because of an increase in maturity (I've been mature enough for it for a while), but because I had no idea then how the forum moderation worked. I thought I did, but only now after spending months reporting and talking to the mods, do I really get it. And that's what I was really referring to when I said that, my actual maturity isn't really an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, bad idea. Then i waited 2 years for nothing!

Anyways, i don't really like this idea.

Rules are rules, As the wise polar once said :

Unfortunately, the age thing is going to be a problem. 18 years is actually quite arbitrary in defining someone as an adult. Your brain doesn't fully develop under you are ~23-24, and if you look at the team of moderators, all but one of us is actually well over 20 years old. "Maturity" is a pretty loaded word. It's a lot more than someone's temperament and how well they write. Decision-making is a huge part as well. You just don't realize how important decision-making is until you've actually joined the staff and go through hundreds of suggestions. 

-1 from me

Archived