What's the point of dupes?

TRR-O Damon1174

Like WTF? It's the same hat with the same stuff, no craft numbers or anything WHATSOEVER that's visual that it changes, nothing is wrong with it, it's the same as any other hat, so why the fuck does it matter if something's duped?? Cool, it means there's another one that you could buy.

Just because some silly website says its bee duped, should that really affect ANYTHING? It's not like Volvo could just delete the hat (they could <3)

Discuss

EDIT: What I've also never understood, is why steam doesn't just UN-do a phished trade. So, instead of duplicating the items that could phished, cant they either remove it from the phishes inventory or undoi the trade? Surely they can because they've done it before with the guy who complained about things being able to be made uncraftable, they just removed any uncraftable thing from his inventory.

Watch your tongue, without the "silly website" bp.tf is the economy would have crumbled ages ago. Would you prefer it if users couldn't see whether the hat was duped or not? Be reasonable.

Duped hats used to get deleted by Valve. Some of them, at least. They were devalued because there were odds of them suddenly disappearing.

Valve has stopped doing that, but people still devalue duped hats for no apparent reason. Same way TC is "the best unusual".

The problem with reversing a phished trade is that by the time Steam responds to your support ticket, it's likely the phisher has already traded/sold all the items away. Reversing it wouldn't make sense as it would mean taking the items away from someone who traded their items/keys away for the phished items. If you're thinking that those trades should be reversed as well (where people buy the phished items), it'd just be too complicated and an annoyance to the people who aren't even involved in the phishing event.

Dupes hold NO point at all, unless you're a collector or a very-sensual person. Valve has stopped deleting duped since ages ago and definitely won't start doing it now. People like to build up excuses to buy a hat at a lower price with fact that it's "duped" or "gifted". Sure, being gifted maybe matters because of the name when you see the hat, but being duped will NOT change anything either in-game when wearing the hat or when hovering over the hat to inspect it. Item qualities stay the same. Only thing that would change is some people's thoughts because of the fact that someone else also has their "1 of 1 rare" hat. That only really applies to collectors, and even those people don't care if they get a duped one sometimes because it is still literally the same. But what can we do, trading is cruel, people will do anything and everything for their own benefit, so it'll keep prevailing unless people start changing their mindset, and move on with times.

No argument for the other side?

Well as far as I know, most of the argument for dupe being lower valued is because you would prefer something that's more unique and something only you have. This is especially true for high value items that only have one clean and many dupes.

The argument for it changing nothing in game is a useless one, because we know some uncraftable things are worth more just because of their rarity.

EDIT: What I've also never understood, is why steam doesn't just UN-do a phished trade. So, instead of duplicating the items that could phished, cant they either remove it from the phishes inventory or undoi the trade? Surely they can because they've done it before with the guy who complained about things being able to be made uncraftable, they just removed any uncraftable thing from his inventory.

Because steam cannot instantly respond to phishing reports and by the time they respond the item may have been traded multiple times already which leads to even more problems.

Imo steam should just not restore items, if you were dumb enough to get your stuff stolen why should they replace it for you? Your backpack, your items and your responsibility.

Because steam cannot instantly respond to phishing reports and by the time they respond the item may have been traded multiple times already which leads to even more problems.

Imo steam should just not restore items, if you were dumb enough to get your stuff stolen why should they replace it for you? Your backpack, your items and your responsibility.

Eh I don't know about that last part. They always come out with new ways to hijack. I got hijacked when the mirror phishing links were almost completely new so 1 chance is fair.

For collectors and eccentrics like me, EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PERFECT

If I'm gonna get a gun skin, it may as well be factory new or im not taking it, if it can be stattrack and looks good with stattrak It HAS to have stattrack

If I'm gonna get a killstreak it HAS to look good with the gun AND has to look good with the killstreaker

If I'm gonna buy a hat, it MUST be as good as it can be, if it has a strangifier, strangifiy it, If theres a better themed effect better effect with your current loadout/hat it has to be that effect

yeeeeeee

dat rant

Archived