Just wanted to wish everyone

Pyrocide

an early Happy "Man who slaughtered, raped, slave trafficked, pillaged and otherwise emotionally scarred some 5M natives in his exploitation of the New World" Day.

*disclaimer: this for those in the States.

an early Happy "Man who slaughtered, raped, slave trafficked, pillaged and otherwise emotionally scarred some 5M natives in his exploitation of the New World" Day.

*disclaimer: this for those in the States.

this day being? as in who are we "honouring"?

Didnt forget, I was just commenting on the shameful fact that the US federally recognized holiday is honoring a rapist, torturer, mass murderer, pedo-pimp & father of transatlantic slave trafficking in the same respect as MLK or JFK. 

HA! One of favorite comics also agrees. 

While Columbus Day is indeed a pretty bad day to celebrate, The Oatmeal is a pretty braindead comic, and uses oversimplified arguments. Bartolome wasn't such a great guy, either; in fact, he was one of the ones who came up with the idea for the African Slave Trade, as a replacement for enslaving natives. Columbus wasn't really responsible for the slave trade as the comic strongly implies; the slave trade was a consequence of African Gold losing its value and the ideas of people like Bartolome, who believed that Africans would be better suited for labor in the new world.

To be honest though, I'm happy that I have a day off, so I'm not complaining either way.

i wish my school wasnt shit and we had a day off for columbus day

LOL I got the day off! ...Too bad I'm gonna spend all that time finishing the outline of my Extended Essay due the next day. IB sucks.

While Columbus Day is indeed a pretty bad day to celebrate, The Oatmeal is a pretty braindead comic, and uses oversimplified arguments. Bartolome wasn't such a great guy, either; in fact, he was one of the ones who came up with the idea for the African Slave Trade, as a replacement for enslaving natives. Columbus wasn't really responsible for the slave trade as the comic strongly implies; the slave trade was a consequence of African Gold losing its value and the ideas of people like Bartolome, who believed that Africans would be better suited for labor in the new world.

To be honest though, I'm happy that I have a day off, so I'm not complaining either way.

Cant you just enjoy the comic for what it is - a comic. lol

The Mantis shrimp comic is pretty good as I have a Mantis tank and the little bastard is evil. But so awesome.

There are just plain awful comics on the Oatmeal site, i agree, but its a site filled with comics bound to be some bad ones and some good ones. However, he and I share the same views on Columbus Day as a federal holiday.

Tis true though Columbus didn't technically "father" Atlantic slaving, however he did deal in slaves both labor and sex in the New World and Spain hence one of the first instances of slave trafficking across the Atlantic. He just happens to be the most know celeb documentation of it thus i say he fathered it

EDIT: all you effers that have it off from work. You suck. 

Cant you just enjoy the comic for what it is - a comic. lol

The Mantis shrimp comic is pretty good as I have a Mantis tank and the little bastard is evil. But so awesome.

There are just plain awful comics on the Oatmeal site, i agree, but its a site filled with comics bound to be some bad ones and some good ones. However, he and I share the same views on Columbus Day as a federal holiday.

Tis true though Columbus didn't technically "father" Atlantic slaving, however he did deal in slaves both labor and sex in the New World and Spain hence one of the first instances of slave trafficking across the Atlantic. He just happens to be the most know celeb documentation of it thus i say he fathered it

EDIT: all you effers that have it off from work. You suck.

Fair enough, that Mantis Shrimp one was pretty fascinating. I just can't stand when the writer goes on an anti-religious rant, like he has been pretty often.

Yeah, his slave-handling in the new world was beyond despicable. The fact he wanted to use young girls for currency among his sailors is horrific.

I hate revisionist history, but Columbus day is a major example of when revisionism is plausible.

I celebrated today by going to my neighbor's house and telling them it was my house now. I now have this awesome new big screen

an early Happy "Man who slaughtered, raped, slave trafficked, pillaged and otherwise emotionally scarred some 5M natives in his exploitation of the New World" Day.[/size]

*disclaimer: this for those in the States.[/size]

Yes, he did this singlehandedly and knowing fullwell the impact and implications of his actions. /sarcasm.

Wait...today was Columbus day? So that's why we had school off

Ya

Monday is Columbus day. A lot of schools have early release/school closure (due to being a federal recognized holiday) in observance of Monday.

Yes, he did this singlehandedly allowed knowing fullwell the impact and implications of his actions. /notsarcasm

Yes he did. Thanks for clearing that up.

Action 1: Systematic genocide through labor for gold and riches on orders from the Spanish royalty

Implication 1: Death of millions of indigenous people

Or is it ok to just be oblivious to the grown men working for you raping children treated as a commodity - just to be clear as to what you are saying?

leif erikson was the first European that found north america first

Correct me if im wrong but didn't the alaskan native people find it first? 

Correct me if im wrong but didn't the alaskan native people find it first? 

If I'm right, Alaskan native people are fairly new. The first people to cross the strait I believe merged into some central American tribe. They first lived in Alaska, but the current Alaskan natives are newer. Still much earlier than Columbus or Leif

Fair enough, that Mantis Shrimp one was pretty fascinating. I just can't stand when the writer goes on an anti-religious rant, like he has been pretty often.

Yeah, his slave-handling in the new world was beyond despicable. The fact he wanted to use young girls for currency among his sailors is horrific.

I hate revisionist history, but Columbus day is a major example of when revisionism is plausible.

Looks like The Oatmeal guy put in a footnote relating to Bartolome and his beginnings of the slave trade.

A very important note about Bartolomé de las Casas and the African slave trade

This issue keeps coming up and, despite my footnotes, I keep seeing commentary about it so I'm going to address it here. 

Initially, Bartolomé de las Casas advocated the use of African slaves instead of native labor. In the first few years after he renounced his land and title, his initial cause was to end the suffering of the natives, rather than seeking an end to the institution of slavery itself, and so this became his deplorable rationale for the endorsement of African slavery. Bartolomé de las Casas eventually retracted those views, however, and came to see all forms of slavery as being equally wrong. In The History of the Indies published in 1527, he wrote the following:

I soon repented and judged myself guilty of ignorance. I came to realize that black slavery was as unjust as Indian slavery...

and I was not sure that my ignorance and good faith would secure me in the eyes of God.

I know that the discovery of the New World means a lot of different things to a lot of different cultures. I like the sound of Bartolomé Day. If you don't like that, call it Indigenous People's Day. Or perhaps Chris-Columbus-was-a-turd Day. I'd even settle for just calling it MONDAY. 

But please, oh please

do not call it Columbus Day.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived