'Company hikes price 5,000% for drug that fights complication of AIDS, cancer'

Sakamoto

Because the money to pay the salaries of scientists who take years to develop the new medicine, as well as to pay for studies to get approved, as well as running a full functioning company, as well as many other costs comes out of thin air....

So your claim to blame healthcare is of an ignorant person. Usually it costs millions if not billions to develop a medicine and that money comes from investors which then need to make their money back. So it's not them ripping us off, it's them taking initiative to make a new medicine and getting their moneys worth.

There is a saying that says something along these lines: It costs billions to make the first pill, but only cents to make the second.

Whilst I understand perfectly what you say but the fact that the drug he spiked up was a drug created ages ago, which he purchased the rights and also did the same for other drugs in the past has nothing to do with paying off cost of development. This is also the very reason why in interviews his only reason to spiking up drugs which he had exclusive rights to was 'it wasnt making money since the cost to make the drug deliver it...etc made them suffer a loss".

Also worth mentioning the reason why certain things cost alot in hospital has nothing to do with development but some hospitals sign exclusive contracts with many companies to only buy certain things from then which in turn cuts off all competition and they can charge whatever they can. Heck some limb replacements offered in Australia were "developed" by students in universities for "projects" and charge stupid prices for them  and it cost them next to nothing to develop.

Source: Im a B Chem eng/ M Biomedical engo student most of my projects/thesis work are basically companies using us as free consultation...etc

Whilst I understand perfectly what you say but the fact that the drug he spiked up was a drug created ages ago, which he purchased the rights and also did the same for other drugs in the past has nothing to do with paying off cost of development. This is also the very reason why in interviews his only reason to spiking up drugs which he had exclusive rights to was 'it wasnt making money since the cost to make the drug deliver it...etc made them suffer a loss".

Also worth mentioning the reason why certain things cost alot in hospital has nothing to do with development but some hospitals sign exclusive contracts with many companies to only buy certain things from then which in turn cuts off all competition and they can charge whatever they can. Heck some limb replacements offered in Australia were "developed" by students in universities for "projects" and charge stupid prices for them  and it cost them next to nothing to develop.

Source: Im a B Chem eng/ M Biomedical engo student most of my projects/thesis work are basically companies using us as free consultation...etc

Here's the thing, it's okay if you want to talk about your life experiences (or brag) but if you read my comment I was responding to "poorest scrub" on his claim that it's the healthcare the cause of this problem. If you had read earlier in this post you would have noticed I said something along the lines of your comment, agreeing that the guy who spiked the price is doing an unacceptable thing for no other reason than profit.

So to make the story short: read the context of the comments correctly instead of misinterpreting the point of the comments and guiding the comment to another topic.

Obligatory response to your source:

Source: I'm a law student and most of my projects/readings/lectures require great reading comprehension and objective analysis of the presented cases/situations.

Archived