Using backpack.tf for revenge

grimdercell

It has recently come to my attention that a user called OctiCrafte http://backpack.tf/u/76561198077460641 has been using the site for revenge on another user just because of a bad deal in trading. I notice something amiss with his trades, and I added Pocket Disc (owns every unusual that Octicrafte lowered) to find out more about this. Here's how it all started:

1. Octicrafte bought a roboactive western wear http://www.tf2outpost.com/item/440,1955018993 from a user named Pocket Disc in exchange for a duped hearts kabuto (unsure of how much pocket disc added).

2. After buying it, the price of the western wear dropped http://backpack.tf/vote/id/523c55d34cd7b8e94a8b456e

3. Upon seeing the drop, Octicrafte wanted to trade back with Pocket Disc, which Pocket Disc then declined.

4. Not satisfied with the bad deal on his side, he then proceeded to take revenge by lowering down whatever unusuals Pocket Disc traded for.

Here is Octicrafte's last 4 suggestions, all dropping the price of unusuals that Pocket Disc traded for:

The latest one:

Previously:

Now, if the proof are good, it's not a problem. However, all suggestions that he made only used proof of what Pocket Disc had sold it for, and current B/Os. He never take into account of what those hats were sold for within that month, making the some of the suggestions largely inaccurate. Look into those trades and you will see a maximum of 1 sold link and the rest of the links are current trades. 

Also, this suggestion: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5247b1e74dd7b8e3618b4574 - DP tavish degroot

I already mentioned that the hats on the market were duped, and he didn't do a proper research on it. He was so focused on lowering down the price because of revenge, which prompt me to do much of the research of that hat, and counter his suggestion which is ridiculous, really. 

His current suggestion: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524d01434dd7b8327b8b456b  - antifreeze front runner

Why does a 1:1 trade need a large overpay, and how is the Misty Skull Tyrants 8.1 buds? 

To everyone who's reading this (including mods), 

This is ethically not right in my opinion, and surely something could be done about this? I don't think Octicrafte is fit to do any unusual suggestions, if this is his intention of doing so. But then again, its just my opinion and I have no right in deciding on how this should be dealt with. However, I would just like to stress that this is not a healthy practice, using backpack.tf for revenge and thus providing inaccurate price suggestions to the community. If its a bad trading deal, move along then, its only a game. Why go to the extent of taking revenge in such a way?

Hope to hear other users' opinion on this matter.

p.s.: if I'm at the wrong subforum, please let me know, thanks :3

way too much text to quote

It should be in general website discussion, but luckily woifi is back to help you do it. And uhm, maybe it's not ethically right but I once or twice looked into a backpack of an annoying douche and decided to lower an item of his. (though this were say 1.33-1.66 hats which I lowered to 1.33). It's maybe not ethically right, but it can feel so sweet to do it. As long as he provided actual good proof, I don't think it's a problem. When he's trying to manipulate (fake shit) it gets a problem. And if his proof is bad it shouldn't get accepted. But I don't think the ethics behind a suggestion matter as long as they're correct.

remember avery? oh that f***tard

chigga has also taken revenge on many people through the site lol.

stupid mobile censoring everything.

remember avery? oh that f***tard

chigga has also taken revenge on many people through the site lol.

stupid mobile censoring everything.

um, like who?

Ok, it seems as if half of the response thinks it ok to use the list for revenge. Anyway, I don't think it matters. Mods should realize if bad evidence is used either way it should not effect the demand for the hat. He couldn't drop it by too much and seems silly. Lol. I assume octicrafte didn't drop the price himself (which I have done twice, but they should have seen it coming). It is unethical and I would be ok with a mod closing the current one and give him a warning.

Btw, how did you notice this?

Ok, it seems as if half of the response thinks it ok to use the list for revenge. Anyway, I don't think it matters. Mods should realize if bad evidence is used either way it should not effect the demand for the hat. He couldn't drop it by too much and seems silly. Lol. I assume octicrafte didn't drop the price himself (which I have done twice, but they should have seen it coming). It is unethical and I would be ok with a mod closing the current one and give him a warning.

Btw, how did you notice this?

Probably the arguments in his trades lol

I've used the site to take 'revenge', although not really in the same way...

If someone made a stupid suggestion to raise an unusual they had, i would make a suggestion to lower the value just to piss them off, but i also had plenty of proof (and only lowered it if i could find the proof). 

Thanks for the heads up. As stated here, all the suggestions will be evaluated on the merit of the proof. If there's something amiss / inadequate proof etc, we usually leave the suggestions up for a longer time for people to chime in. And if the proof is just not up to snuff, it won't get accepted

um, like who?

I remember you told me once you lowered someone's backpack on purpose lol

I don't remember anyone specific tho

I'd do it for fun lol

If I see an offer that looks good (like unu overpay) but is bad

I lower it.

If I buy a hat because it can sell for more, I raise it.

I'm not sure how this is manipulating, even if it is malicious if the proof is there it's fine.

If I see an offer that looks good (like unu overpay) but is bad

I lower it.

If I buy a hat because it can sell for more, I raise it.

I'm not sure how this is manipulating, even if it is malicious if the proof is there it's fine.

I see no problem with it if he actually did proper research, in his last suggestion he grossly rounded down values and clearly ignored that there was a paypal transaction involved with the trade.

Not to mention he basically ignored all the convenient trades which indicated that his low end was a strong outlier

I see no problem with it if he actually did proper research, in his last suggestion he grossly rounded down values and clearly ignored that there was a paypal transaction involved with the trade.

Not to mention he basically ignored all the convenient trades which indicated that his low end was a strong outlier

He's a stubborn one eh. But the front runner could get even more than 8.7 in my opinion. The current owner already rejected GE anger + Blizz phantom + 10 keys on his trade: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/14768013 . Thats way more than 8.7 buds. GE

He's a stubborn one eh. But the front runner could get even more than 8.7 in my opinion. The current owner already rejected GE anger + Blizz phantom + 10 keys on his trade: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/14768013 . Thats way more than 8.7 buds. GE

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524e721d4dd7b869058b4568

Attempt number 2

again still clearly ignoring that there was a paypal transaction involved with the trade and all other trades which indicated that his low end was a strong outlier

Archived