Is this even appliable for scamming?

Knuffeldraak

So I saw this happening today;

Player 1 randomly sends a trade to Player 2. Within that trade, Player 1 selects to buy 13 clean normal weapons, with 5 killstreak weapons, and puts in 2 refined as offer. He leaves no message, nothing.

Player 2 replies after a while, spouting accusations of scammer and threatening to report on this and there. This is where the interesting part comes into play;

Player 1 did not say anything. He left the text blank, and it was only one trade offer; no back-and-forth counter offers. This means that Player 1 both:

- did not swap items in between

- did not claim faulty prizes.

He simply offered 2 ref for 13 normal weapons and 5 killstreak weapons.

Now my question is to you, the community, is this even a "scam"? To my terminoligy, this is nothing more than a lowball, because:

- the transaction was 2 ref for the 18 selected items. The end result did not attempt to change the initial deal.

- neither side claimed any prices at all, it was just a wild offer for the other to accept or decline, so a Shark attempt is out of the question.

- while player 1 added the killstreak weapons, he did not say they were normal weapons. So item info deception is also out of the question. Neither did player 2 state he was selling unique weapons.

It's a sneaky act, admittedly. But a scam?

It's not really a scam. I can't really see it being misrepresentation of items, just because the receiving party should have reviewed what was being traded at first. Surely, if you had 2 unusuals of the same kind but different effect, and someone sent a trade offer for one, you would highlight over to check what effect he was trading for.

In the steam scam FAQ hidden item is described as a type of scam but In this case when the killstreak items were of little value anyway it barely seems worth bothering over. I imagine you have had some encounter of the sort?

edit: I don't really agree with the FAQ but thought it was worth bringing up anyway

No there was a heated discussion going on the trade server, so I got in touch with both guys to see what was really going on, and found this.

I don't really agree that it's scamming.

Player 1 was just offering (a very low amount) for his unique weapons + killstreak weapons.

And it's a trade offer. So player 2 has all the time in the world to review it. No quickswitch or false claiming the value of items.

It's not scamming if Player 1 did not intend to deceive Player 2 and was simply lowballing. If Player 1 sent that trade offer with the intent of tricking him into thinking all of the weapons were just normal, you could probably argue that it would count as scamming and people have been reported for it before.

Archived