Ethnic History Months

Mountain Ritos

White History Month  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a white history month?

Black History Month

Hispanic / Latino History Month

I believe are also  Asian and an Indian variants

Why is there not a White History Month? We contributed to society too, you know.

Why do we have dedicated months to doing so, shouldn't we always be proud?

I'm curious if why everyone else can have one, why can't white people?

every month is white history month

every time a white person tries to be proud of their ethnicity, they're deemed racist. so no.

white people have the fourth of july tho

i regret to inform you that there are other than white people who live in the usa

European/American history is already quite popular, though there are still less known segments of both.

white people have the fourth of july tho

The world doesn't revolve around America, nor did it start in 1776.

I really don't care, if other people want to celebrate their background it's fine with me, if you don't that's also ok

As much as I understand your logic, a white history month really isn't necessary. It's like getting a bullet bill in first place in Mario Kart.

Equality for all is a valid argument, but the disadvantaged deserve a chance to get ahead too.

I dislike the idea of celebration for one's race for a whole month.

You are who you are and you celebrate yourself every day of the year, not a month.

Maybe I am only saying this because school makes you do more work, maybe I truly believe this.

You can't have a yes or no topic on this issue. 

If people propose white history month, others will complain about white people integrating everything alongside other cultures to undermine them, such examples as "Why should white people have a history month? isn't it enough that black people have their own month? Do white people not have enough with their own holidays that they have to shove another month glorifying them?". They will most likely even start movements to cancel such integration.

If you say no, then people will tell you that you are discriminating one race over another and they will feel entitled to tell you that its not fair that we don't have a month of our own. The backlash won't be as major if you go against white history month, but it will be controversial enough to get attention on both sides.

Just because there isn't a white history month it does not mean that we haven't contributed to society. We are proud and its called History, which means that people today acknowledge other people's achievements all over history regardless of their race or cultures, and there are many white people that are acknowledged in history without the need of a month of their own.

The sensitivity on some people of this day and age that will be against such ideas will start another unnecessary controversial debate that will do more harm than good, so its not worth it.

As much as I understand your logic, a white history month really isn't necessary.

Then all other history months aren't necessary either.

Equality for all is a valid argument, but the disadvantaged deserve a chance to get ahead too.

If you're not born "white" you shouldn't whine about how disadvantaged you are.

It's like getting a bullet bill in first place in Mario Kart.

If the white race drove their way to first, they earned the privileges of first place. It doesn't mean that white driver in first should give away such resources such as bullet bills to others who will ultimately get ahead a little and then recede once the bullet bill has ended. The government and whites have spent much money on bullet bills(money) for minorities and it has ultimately been a failure.

White History month would just be us being pretty ashamed of the shit we did for about 30 days

The good shit we've done outweighs the "bad" shit we've done.

These things are yet another display of hoe shitty the US educational system is. Things like this are retarded. What is black history? I am assuming they mean African history. But people from the South of India are so much closer to black than the vast majority of Africans. It's a stupid filter.

And then what? Do they teach you about the Malinese empires? The Ethiopian empires (which were Jewish and Christian and much more closely related to the Mediterranean world than to sub-Saharan Africa)? I doubt it. There is extremely little known of sub-Saharan Africa in history, so history classes about it are rather boring. Most of it only really got documented when non-blacks entered. The Arabic slavers, traders and imperialists. The Portuguese and Spanish explorers. And mostly the European colonisers.

But at this point how is it black history? The scramble for Africa can not be seen apart from the geopolitical, European dominated situation of the time.

And if it's not about Africa but about blacks in the United States as all history classes are chauvinistic and self-centered. How can you see the start of the trans-Atlantic slave trade without looking at the native populations? Without looking at imperial Spain, Portugal, England and The Republic? It wouldn't make any sense, yet all these people are not black.

And when it's about the abolition of slavery, how can you see that separated from the European humanitarian movement of the time? And abolitionist movements were not only about blacks. The East Indies had slavery too, just as nasty and just as despicable. And ruled by the same people with the same ideology. What is history but comparison of cases? Looking at them individually makes no sense at all.

And Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement. How do you look at that without looking at the World Wars, without looking at the feminist movement of the time? It just makes no god damn sense.

So no. Segregating history based on ethnicity is an idiotic thing to do. Human ethnicity has been mixed since the Mesopotamian empires and the Old Kingdom of Egypt near 5000 years ago and most likely way before that too. Division on geographical and chronological level makes sense, on racial level is retarded.

Plus black history month always makes for hilariously retarded theories about historical figures being black such as Hannibal (Semitic dad, Greek/Italian mom and born&raised in Tunisia and Iberia) Cleopatra (Macedonian/Greek) and the ancient Egyptians in general (who, besides the Nubian dynasty that lasted 100 years in 2300 BC, were much whiter than even today's Egyptians).

Plus black history month always makes for hilariously retarded theories about historical figures being black such as Hannibal (Semitic dad, Greek/Italian mom and born&raised in Tunisia and Iberia) Cleopatra (Macedonian/Greek) and the ancient Egyptians in general (who, besides the Nubian dynasty that lasted 100 years in 2300 BC, were much whiter than even today's Egyptians).

When I read the last part of your statement I was just like "Bruuuh" and my sides started hurting.

Anyway I agree black history month is not necessary because like you said "world history includes everyone"(not your exact words) and for one race to have it's own month is kinda selfish. But to be honest most schools in America don't teach a lot about black people in recent history and the civil rights movement, so I think it does educate people bit.

Who would have known a black guy invented peanut butter if it was not for black history month? But who cares if a black or white guy invented it because it taste fucking awesome!

Who would have known a black guy invented peanut butter if it was not for black history month? But who cares if a black or white guy invented it because it taste fucking awesome!

Nobody knows who invented peanut butter. It was made in the Andes and Central Brazil in 1500 BC, and those people were not white but they aren't black either. Then it got adapted in West-Africa in the 1500s to find a recipe that is closer to what we currently know. Those people were black I guess, West-Africans tend to be black.

But yes peanut butter tastes great, though your American versions are too sugary and not peanuty enough. You should try Calvé pindakaas with pieces of peanut, that's the real deal (and damn expensive :( )

And yes, I did read a study on the origin of peanut butter. I'm just kind of interested in history

Nobody knows who invented peanut butter. It was made in the Andes and Central Brazil in 1500 BC, and those people were not white but they aren't black either. Then it got adapted in West-Africa in the 1500s to find a recipe that is closer to what we currently know. Those people were black I guess, West-Africans tend to be black.

But yes peanut butter tastes great, though your American versions are too sugary and not peanuty enough. You should try Calvé pindakaas with pieces of peanut, that's the real deal (and damn expensive :( )

And yes, I did read a study on the origin of peanut butter. I'm just kind of interested in history

Makes sense.

Although of course he was not the first to make butter out of peanuts he did perfect it in a way that made him famous, also he didn't even get the rights to the patent.

I too prefer the peanut butter without all that added sugar. Smuckers Natural Chunky Peanut Butter is probably the closes thing we have to Calvé pindakaas in America. When I visit Europe someday I'll be sure to try Calvé pindakaas :D  

We are proud and its called History, which means that people today acknowledge other people's achievements all over history regardless of their race or cultures, and there are many white people that are acknowledged in history without the need of a month of their own.

Anyway I agree black history month is not necessary because like you said "world history includes everyone"(not your exact words) and for one race to have it's own month is kinda selfish. 

*Triggered* OH i see .. when a moderator says it then it gets the attention, but when i say it then nobody bats an eye.

Oh yeah well.. i hate peanut butter .. how about that huh ?

I think I agree with Micah. As the history thought in school focusses on certain path of history, it's not bad to create events that shine light on other parts of history that didn't get any light.

But as the schools predominatly reach history from a caucasian point of view ... I dunno if a white history month would be as educational as a black history month is (or could be).

Archived