Can't end Steam.exe process.

alf_

Hello, been some time I don't post on these forums.

This has been happening to me for about two days, or three, I don't remember exactly.

So yeah, I can't really enter steam, because the process is still running on the Task Manager. If i click the steam icon, my mouse cursor shows a loading icon, then nothing happens.

If I try to end the process, it says acess denied, I tried rebooting the computer already, but the process does not go away, also worth noting that steam is not set to run on start.

I tried uninstalling, it got rid of about half of my steam folder, however, it is still there, if I try to delete the folder, it says I can't, because it is in use. 

After uninstalling (did not really uninstall completely), I tried installing Steam again, and when i run the steam installer, it says that I must to close Steam before installing it.

I really don't know what to do, could someone help me please ?  :D

Clearly you didn't fully restart your computer, if the process isn't set to run on start-up, it wouldn't. Just completely unplug your computer, then restart and retry it.

Clearly you didn't fully restart your computer, if the process isn't set to run on start-up, it wouldn't. Just completely unplug your computer, then restart and retry it.

I did, i really did, I always turn off my computer before sleeping.

Type msconfig into your start menu search bar then hit enter, afterwards click on the Startup tab and uncheck steam (and any other processes you don't know or want to use on startup) and then restart your PC.

Type msconfig into your start menu search bar then hit enter, afterwards click on the Startup tab and uncheck steam (and any other processes you don't know or want to use on startup) and then restart your PC.

I already did it, I stated on my post that steam is not set to run on start, I already restarted, turned off for hours and hours, and it is still stuck there.

I really don't want to sound any rude, because I am the one asking for help, but I know how to do this stuff, that is something unusual that is happening here, that is why I am asking for help, also the reason I wrote details on the post.

I already did it, I stated on my post that steam is not set to run on start, I already restarted, turned off for hours and hours, and it is still stuck there.

I really don't want to sound any rude, because I am the one asking for help, but I know how to do this stuff, that is something unusual that is happening here, that is why I am asking for help, also the reason I wrote details on the post.

Unplug the pc from the wall, replug.

Done, did not help, process is still running on the Task Manager.

Well, time for plan B:

BURN THE WITCH!!

Seriously though, that's really freaking weird...

Really, at this point I'm suspecting a trojan disguising itself as Steam has added itself on startup, replacing Steam.exe. Have you disabled Steam via Regedit?

Has to be something fishy that has happened, steam does not run on start up if you don't tell it to do so, like kitteghu has said, it may be some sort of malware messing with you.

Running a scan if you have a virus program available, may be a good idea.

Alright, won't quote everyone here because that is hard to do.

Running a virus scan now, I use Avast.

No, I am using Windows 8.1, waiting to upgrade to 10.

Archived