Whether or not to apply overpay when your mini was for pure

Teeny Tiny Cat

• Administrators

This has come up numerous times since I started suggesting, and it seems to me that there's no particular rule about it, as different suggesters either do or do not and it doesn't seem to affect whether their suggestion is accepted or not.

The situation I am referring to is as follows:

I want to price hat A

Hat A sold for hat B.

Hat B sold for 20 keys.

If I was making a suggestion, I would thus do;

Hat B = 20 keys

Hat A = hat B * 0.9 = 20 * 0.9 = 18 keys

Some suggesters disagree, and argue that because hat B sold for pure, it should simply be:

Hat B = 20 keys

Hat A = hat B = 20 keys

If the purpose of applying overpay to begin with is that we're trying to get the closest we can to the pure value of each hat, then the price we assign each hat is essentially it's pure price. By this logic, there is no difference between saying hat B is priced at 20 keys (if it's in date), and saying hat B sold for 20 keys (if it's outdated and we're using a mini.)

I don't mind which rule the mods would like us to apply. Whether it's no overpay when the mini is in pure, treating pure minis as any other mini, or a discretion of the suggester kind of thing. However, there is no clear rule about this that I can see, and it has come up multiple times since I started suggesting, often derailing the comments on active suggestions, so I think some clarity from the mods on what they would prefer we do in these situations would be helpful.

Even if the outcome is that it's discretionary and down to the judgment of the suggester, having that stated somewhere would at least curtail the derailing on suggestions when people with differing opinions conflict about it.

Example that led me to make this thread:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55ce4429ba8d88a8718b45b5

Thanks for reading.

If it takes a month to sell my Secret Anger for 200 pure with very few pure offers along the way I don't think it should be treated as pure LOL. If it very easily and frequently sells for pure (Scorching/Burning Racks) it could probably be valued closer to pure.

• Administrators

I've had this discussion a few times too, what polar basically told me was that it's up to the suggester

edit: here's the suggestion: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55bff431ba8d8834378b4567

Excellent. That's what I figured, based on the way they have been moderating these types of suggestions, but I think it would be helpful to have that somewhere that can be referred to. In some cases it may make sense to take the value as pure and leave out overpay, polar made a good point, but in the one I linked, the person I was disagreeing with was basically telling the suggester he is wrong as if that is a solid rule regardless of context, when it clearly is not.

I've had this discussion a few times too, what polar basically told me was that it's up to the suggester

edit: here's the suggestion: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55bff431ba8d8834378b4567

I never got the chance to reply on that suggestion, polar accepted it just as I was typing up a response :P. Long story short, I mis-interpreted the guideline of not applying overpay on things that sell in pure (I kinda forgot about the "quickly and regularly" part) and that still got through because I think the Hard Top was offered on the Pugilist or something? :s

Either way, that's cleared up now. Going to agree with Julia's response, yeah - most sought after high-tier unusuals (don't think too high in value like burning pullover or whatever, stuff like modests or racks) can probably be taken as pure equivalent, but harder stuff to sell (any halloween effect on a high-tier hat, basically) shouldn't be.

Archived