When is trading with a marked scammer forbidden?

barbapagga

Even like small items that don't really impact you all that much? (i.e. items not sold in bulk under a few keys)

I mean, really, you don't normally check small items.

trades with unusuals and above 5 keys or a bill's hat get you marked

1 scrap scams can be disasterous

1 scrap trades aren't really disasterous

If someone is "other users reported this user for suspected of scamming", like as a warning before trading and you trade with them do you get banned also? 

I know buying unusuals from scammers can get you marked, but can you still sell your items for pure to them?

Anything under 10 keys is fine.  It's the updated SR rule.

Anything under 10 keys is fine.  It's the updated SR rule.

idk who to rely on

Huh, I thought it was just a Bill's, or 3 keys.

idk who to rely on

Probably not the guy who contradicted himself in the same sentence.  It used to be a bill's hat, back when bill's were 8 keys.  Seeing how bill's are too low now, they changed it to 10 keys.  

Huh, I thought it was just a Bill's, or 3 keys.

1. Scammers always come up with new ways to scam. Simple rule: DON'T STEAL. DON'T AID IN STEALING.

What are the penalties for trading or buying from BANNED scammers or obvious scammer alts?

If you knowingly trade with banned profiles or obvious scammer alt accounts (with extremely low hours), you are putting your reputation at risk. SteamRep's policy is to be understanding when an innocent trader makes a mistake or when the monetary value is relatively low. Yet, we cannot encourage scammers to profit from their theft. â€‹

• New traders: New traders who are unaware of SteamRep will not receive penalties to their reputations, but will receive a one-time warning.
  • First offense:
    • Item/Game trades: You will receive a one-time warning for any high-value item or game trade with a BANNED account or an obvious scammer alternate account. (This warning will be a temporary CAUTION tag that will be removed when you contact SteamRep admins.)
    • Cash trades: You will receive a CAUTION reputation tag for cash exchanges for high-value items with a banned scammer or obvious alternate scammer acount. Helping scammers profit is not something we can encourage.
  • Second offense:
    • You were already warned: You will receive a CAUTION reputation tag.
    • You already have a CAUTION tag: You will be BANNED for working with scammers.
  • Third offense: You will be BANNED for participating in fraud.
Important Notes:​
  • Anyone has the right to one appeal. You should appeal if you feel the evidence is incorrect or you feel the penalty is too harsh.
  • Ultimately, if it's very clear you were purposely trying to profit from scammed or stolen items, you deserve a BANNED tag at admin discretion.
  • Even if you disagree with someone else's BANNED reputation tag, trading with them is still considered "Trading with a Scammer". Just because you trust them not to scam you, it doesn't mean they aren't selling stolen merchandise they took from someone else.

There is the 10 key rule although I can not find where it says that. If I remember correctly Fog will only investigate trades valued over $30. Tf2op I am not sure what their value is on handling reports. 

@Cookie - so say someone buys an unusual they really want from a scammer, they wouldn't get marked, rather get a warning? If so, it'd be nice for the common misconception of "trading with a scammer gets you a mark." to get cleared up

@Cookie - so say someone buys an unusual they really want from a scammer, they wouldn't get marked, rather get a warning? If so, it'd be nice for the common misconception of "trading with a scammer gets you a mark." to get cleared up

If you knowingly do it and their is proof then yes you will get marked. It sorta applies to this rule 

• Ultimately, if it's very clear you were purposely trying to profit from scammed or stolen items, you deserve a BANNED tag at admin discretion.

I will see If I can get someone with higher knowledge to clear that up.

If you knowingly do it and their is proof then yes you will get marked. It sorta applies to this rule 

I will see If I can get someone with higher knowledge to clear that up.

There is a difference between profit and personal enjoyment, though I'm no one to contest SR's rules, but if not for high-value trades it sounds a bit absurd. And thank you for your latter statement.

There is a difference between profit and personal enjoyment, though I'm no one to contest SR's rules, but if not for high-value trades it sounds a bit absurd. And thank you for your latter statement.

If you knowingly trade with a marked scammer you will be banned regardless as you are knowingly help the scammer profit by buying his stolen goods. E.G the infamous burning TC every owner has been banned on the spot many of which were honest traders who just really wanted the hat. One of it' past owners was also a well respected member and knew most of the mods on op and sr.

The first offense serves as a warning advising you about the rules...etc however if you buy any expensive item from a marked scammer you will most likely get marked instantly because if you are spending hundreds on a hat you are less likely to "make a mistake" no one will send a random that much money without precautions and/or checking...etc

Anything under 10 keys you don't have to check. The rule is hidden somewhere in a age old steamrep forum post as response, because you know, everyone is going to read every single forum post on steamrep.

Archived