clarification of "overpay"

FRY Zimzams

so i've been hit with the "u need overpay" thing a lot before, but id quite like a concrete definition of how exactly overpay works. 

Ive been told its simply the mid-range * 0.9, but some people say just using the low end is fine

if this is the case how do you use flat prices? I want to include a kill a watt KE in my proof, which is 42 something buds flat. Does this mean the value of it should be taken as 42, or as 42*0.9 (37.8) buds?

ty in advance

so i've been hit with the "u need overpay" thing a lot before, but id quite like a concrete definition of how exactly overpay works. 

Ive been told its simply the mid-range * 0.9, but some people say just using the low end is fine

if this is the case how do you use flat prices? I want to include a kill a watt KE in my proof, which is 42 something buds flat. Does this mean the value of it should be taken as 42, or as 42*0.9 (37.8) buds?

ty in advance

37.8. the low end thing is for unusuals with a range.

Overpay is a complicated business and even the mods disagree amongst themselves about how it should be laid out. We are coming up with a standardized guide that will be published soon with exact details for each situation. I won't go into overpay for high end unusuals (hats >10-20 buds in value) because that can get complicated / dicey.

For most hats, overpay can be EITHER low end of the range OR mid * 0.9. We won't ding you for either. Exceptions to that are when the range is narrow or when there is no range. In those situations, it should always be mid * 0.9. And a general rule for all trades is that a sale should never be valued above the b/o of a hat. If the sale was for 4.5 after unusual overpay and the b/o was 4, that would simply be extra overpay out of laziness / convenience since he could have bought it for 4 pure. In those situations don't value it higher than the b/o.

For most hats, overpay can be EITHER low end of the range OR mid * 0.9. We won't ding you for either. Exceptions to that are when the range is narrow or when there is no range. In those situations, it should always be mid * 0.9.

May i ask for clarification why if the range is narrow it should be mid*0.9?

I always thought it was lower range or mid*0.9 if the range is large as if it is used on narrow ranges it tends to grossly devalue unusuals often pushing sales to being a outlier.

Eg stormy tossle is 3.1-3.4 buds, range is somewhat small but by taking mid*0.9 it would make it around 2.9 buds where as taking lower range would be 3.1 and the difference can be alot when the more expensive unusual come to play.

May i ask for clarification why if the range is narrow it should be mid*0.9?

I always thought it was lower range or mid*0.9 if the range is large as if it is used on narrow ranges it tends to grossly devalue unusuals often pushing sales to being a outlier.

Eg stormy tossle is 3.1-3.4 buds, range is somewhat small but by taking mid*0.9 it would make it around 2.9 buds where as taking lower range would be 3.1 and the difference can be alot when the more expensive unusual come to play.

The whole idea is to calculate some sort of overpay in unusuals. If the range is 100-100.1, you wouldn't say that 100 is good enough for overpay, right? Obviously, theres a subjective evaluation about what is a narrow range and what isn't. And that's why just doing mid * 0.9 is generally considered better for people without a lot of experience pricing unusuals.

(BPB knew I'd find this topic eventually.)

You have to be careful every time you apply such a formula. It's best to look at the item(s) being offered and have a quick look at what they've been recently selling for/having buy-outs set at/being easily offered. There are also problems with varying time required to sell (which is why lower pure buy-outs should always be prioritised). Relying on a formula can sometimes be correct, but you really should always do a bit of research.

My huge example of where applying a formula would fail: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524e4c4a4cd7b8af5d8b456f I am pretty sure that if I didn't attach that second comment then someone would've told me that that suggestion was wrong because Robin offered a Miami Nights Stout Shako, which is valued here today at 4.2-5. The over-payment formulae call that either 4.2 or 4.14. However, I had three buy-outs of 3.5. This is a good example of where applying a formula would be wrong. There were also a few other offers that are valued above 3.5.

Archived