-Good Hats

-Hats PeopleLikeForTheirUnusuals

-Bad Effects

-Hard2Sell Effects

-Bad Hats

-Hats PeopleDon'tLikeForTheirUnusuals

-Caner Effects

-Cancer Hats

and their ranks and stuff? Just trying to transition back to unusual trading and all this new stuff is really damn confusing :/ killstreaks are easy to work with C:

Hats to avoid:

- ones that look bad

- engie hats

- heavy hats

- overpriced hats with a cheaper counterpart (3rd gen veils for example)

Hats to go for:

- Soldier hats

- multi/all class hats

- ones that look good

- 1 of 1 etc

basically if it looks good its probably good. if it looks bad its probably bad. if logic says buy hat X instead of hat Y hat X would be the easier sell.

Another point for hats to avoid

- If it's outdated by around 1 year on backpack, it's bound to tank hard when updated

What's that one hat that pretty much automatically~ marks you on steamrep if you trade it?

Since it's 1 of 1, but someone got scammed out of it so now everyone that touches it gets a Scammer mark.

-snip-

the burning tc. l8. pretty sure that they refreshed the history, and gave it a clean start. read somewhere about that, dunno if its true or not. 

and to stay on topic, 3rd gens, robo effects such as roboactive, kill-a-watt, etc are cancer. antifreeze and a select few more 3rd gens, people somewhat like, but most will refrain from buying those effects from you. 

easy2sell : all 1st gens >:LLL

about 3rd gen, i owned some 3rd gen, if the price for 3rd gen is reasonable, its actually sell fast.

1st Gen all the way for easiest but massed flies is more cancerous than any effect in my opinion

Multiclass hat for easy sell, or good hats for specific class (Tossle, Cowl, samur eye , stash for example)

Some 2nd gen actually takes long to sell (all the effect do not have speciality, just meh for me, do not make me mention orbiting planets)

tryna add something else here....

From my personal experience

Stay away from

Snaggle tooth's

Thirst bloods

Robo hats

Voodoo juju?

Yea correct me if I'm wrong

the burning tc. l8. pretty sure that they refreshed the history, and gave it a clean start. read somewhere about that, dunno if its true or not. 

and to stay on topic, 3rd gens, robo effects such as roboactive, kill-a-watt, etc are cancer. antifreeze and a select few more 3rd gens, people somewhat like, but most will refrain from buying those effects from you. 

easy2sell : all 1st gens >:LLL

Son, you have a 70 dollar backpack. Quite frankly, you don't have any clue what's cancer and what isn't.  Roboactive is cancer?  Are you on crack?  Then in the very next sentence you write that AF "is somewhat liked".  You're aware they're the same effect in a different colour right?  FYI, they are at least at energy tier - far from cancer.  The only robo effects which are notoriously hard to get rid of are the orbiting effects.  The others are fine. 

And "1st gen > all"    Yea good luck with that one.  Everyone highballs their good (meaning high tier hats with at least energy effect) 1st gens to high heavens because they know someone will eventually pay their price, so good luck cracking that market and making any profit.  The profit is to be found somewhere else, and it's gotten much more complicated than just 1st > 2nd > 3rd.

This is the advice I will give TS:  when you listen to someone, make sure it's someone who's sold more than a handful of hats.  There's so many misconceptions out there and so many "experienced" traders who really have no sweet clue what they're talking about.  

There are no cancerous hats, only cancerous prices.  

-snip-

well, daddy please correct me. 

i'm only talking from experience as i've had trouble selling a roboactive hat, and taking advice from what others have given me. i cashed out a while ago, if you can't exactly tell. i don't claim myself as an "experienced" trader, but as i mentioned before, im giving advice from what others have told me. 

tryna add something else here....

From my personal experience

Stay away from

Snaggle tooth's

Thirst bloods

Robo hats

Voodoo juju?

Yea correct me if I'm wrong

yea voodo juju is not one of good hats. i agree with u there

i'm only talking from experience as i've had trouble selling a roboactive hat, and taking advice from what others have given me. i cashed out a while ago, if you can't exactly tell. i don't claim myself as an "experienced" trader, but as i mentioned before, im giving advice from what others have told me. 

And that's exactly the problem.  You're giving advice, having only limited experience, or you're going on what others have told you.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that if those others said "RA is cancer and AF is somewhat liked, but not much", those others have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.  

And the reason why I decided to correct you is that these threads always end up being full of people giving advice, when they should only be taking advice.  Selling half a dozen hats doesn't make anyone an expert.   And what's dangerous about this is that the misconceptions spread like wildfires among novice traders, fucking up unusual trading even more than it already is.  

Avoid heavy hats like the plague.

based of what i experienced, classes does not really matter in unusual trading, sure soldier and scout is easier, but there is always people that like minority classes like heavy , spy and engies. so yea classes not really matters i sold bunch heavy hats fine

Don't forget a lot of people buy unusuals for looks. The lower your price is, the more accessible your hat will be to other people. I once lowered my b/o on a Scorching Toque from 50 to 40 (hey, a lot of people were @ 45), and I got a LOT of offers than when I had a b/o of 50, and ultimately I got enough overpay to make it worth it.

You want to buy unusuals at a price you can instantly resell for at a minimal loss. If you want to buy quicksells, there are two ways around it: either be a percentage nazi, or talk to the people who are trying to quicksell their hats. I was able to make quite some profit by not naming percentages off-- also, ALWAYS counter, unless they're taking dirt cheap price.

Don't get impatient. A lot of unusual trading is waiting for the right guy. Get an unusual YOU like, so that you'll be ready to stick with it for potentially months.

You can make profit out of anything. Hell, I made major profit from unpriced Heavy unusuals. If you can, though, stick to popular classes, as time is money, and spending weeks to sell a Heavy unusual might prove disadvantageous while you could have sold 2 or 3 Soldier/Scout classes.

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes. Here's an example: there's a DBD Capo's Capper right now, going for 45 keys. There's also a Morning Glory Capo's Capper going for 40 keys. Which one do you pick?

Duped/gifted hats seem to get much hate for the stupidest reason, by stupidest I mean people actually lower a hat's value because there's a chunk of red text on a third party website, or there's some " Gifted by : " text, which does not change the hat in game, at all. I have seen people even compare these duped/gifted hats to personal objects such as engraved cellphones, cars, watches, etc...which is pretty fucking [DATA EXPUNGED].

Id est, I would avoid those type of hats if you're especially planning to resell them later on, since most TF2 traders would get their panties in a twist after seeing a chunk of big, red, fat, juicy text, or " Gifted by : " text.

no hats are unsellable, everything has it's price that it will sell at, you just have to find that price

except maybe the juju and robo hats with robo effects, those hat will never sell unless you take like 45% off the bp.tf price

yea voodo juju is not one of good hats. i agree with u there

It's not so much that it's a bad hat, it's that most effects are overpriced on JuJus.   Which again goes with what I said earlier:  There are no cancerous hats, only cancerous prices.  

It's not so much that it's a bad hat, it's that most effects are overpriced on JuJus.   Which again goes with what I said earlier:  There are no cancerous hats, only cancerous prices.  

pretty much this, I spent a month+ trying to sell a nuts juju for 13 pure when its price was 17, then lowered to 11, and eventually could only sell it at 9. The prices on it are terrible

Duped/gifted hats seem to get much hate for the stupidest reason, by stupidest I mean people actually lower a hat's value because there's a chunk of red text on a third party website, or there's some " Gifted by : " text, which does not change the hat in game, at all. I have seen people even compare these duped/gifted hats to personal objects such as engraved cellphones, cars, watches, etc...which is pretty fucking [DATA EXPUNGED].

Id est, I would avoid those type of hats if you're especially planning to resell them later on, since most TF2 traders would get their panties in a twist after seeing a chunk of big, red, fat, juicy text, or " Gifted by : " text.

THIS SO MUCH. i personally did not care at all about dupes. but because the market care, i become care about item quality like dupes or not. avoid dupes on high tiers, low tiers is fine

NEVER get an unusual Katyusha. I`ve been in the unusual business for quite long and a Phosporous Katyusha was my hardest sell ever...

And a good advice: when opening a thread on Outpost, a quality screenshot of your unusual can make all the difference there is; when I had a 1 of 7 Burning Prancers on the market no one even made an offer for ages...i started a new thread with a freshly made screenshot ( http://s.gullipics.com/image/9/5/3/jxok5d2-lm4b72-r6um/phpZ3M8T7.png ) and sold it within 24 hours for my buyout in pure.

Reason you have difficulty selling your hat is because of your price. 

Lower the price and you will sell it it. But you do not want to do that, you want to make a profit. So you get stuck with hats longer time because of your greed. 

Archived