Unusual Trading Tips?

DainbowRash

Says it all in the title. I've used to trade unusuals but I haven't for 6 months now. Trying to get back into it though. I know how to check for dupes and how to price items. I just want to find out what is a good buy and what is bad. What would be helpful is a list of the best classes too the least in the the following format(Doesn't mean this is the correct list) Scout > Soldier > Engie and so on. Another helpful thing is to say what gens are good and bad. I already know 1st > 2nd > 3rd but what about halloween, the end of the line, and love and war ones too. And if you can you could list some of the good effects of a gen and the worst. And how how much to buy bad unusuals(Don't want to use the other word. Offends some people :/) and how much to sell them for. Examples would be nice. Thank you! All help is appreciated!

Once you go unusual, you can never go back (often).

Often, once you get an unusual, it'll be hard to sell for pure, so you'll need to be open to all sorts of offers, in order to profit.

Once you go unusual, you can never go back (often).

Often, once you get an unusual, it'll be hard to sell for pure, so you'll need to be open to all sorts of offers, in order to profit.

Hm? Really? When I was trading before I usually only got pure. But I only got to 25 keys before getting scammed. :(

Why is your signature so funny...

Hm? Really? When I was trading before I usually only got pure. But I only got to 25 keys before getting scammed. :(

Why is your signature so funny...

Low tier unusuals, usually <30 keys ones are easy to sell for nearly full pure buyouts, but mid-high tier ones tend to get item/mixed offers all the time.

i've bought 2 terrow wat unusuals, after month trying to sell it for 10% off backpack.tf price i quicksold it

because of that i dont do unusual trading anymore

Get unusuals only for keeps. The whole stress is not worth it unless you get nice first-gen effects (Energies, Burning, Scorching, Sunbeams)

i've bought 2 terrow wat unusuals, after month trying to sell it for 10% off backpack.tf price i quicksold it

Get unusuals only for keeps. The whole stress is not worth it unless you get nice first-gen effects (Energies, Burning, Scorching, Sunbeams)

Well, in my opinion it's just really more of a riskier game that pays a lot more. I mean I've went from 11 keys to 24 in two days of unusual trading. That was 6 months ago though.

except you forgot terrorwatt is the biggest cancer in unusual trading with aces high and dp a similar cancer

Says it all in the title. I've used to trade unusuals but I haven't for 6 months now. Trying to get back into it though. I know how to check for dupes and how to price items. I just want to find out what is a good buy and what is bad. What would be helpful is a list of the best classes too the least in the the following format(Doesn't mean this is the correct list) Scout > Soldier > Engie and so on. Another helpful thing is to say what gens are good and bad. I already know 1st > 2nd > 3rd but what about halloween, the end of the line, and love and war ones too. And if you can you could list some of the good effects of a gen and the worst. And how how much to buy bad unusuals(Don't want to use the other word. Offends some people :/) and how much to sell them for. Examples would be nice. Thank you! All help is appreciated!

mostly all-class>solly, some sniper, scout>medic, some spy>demo>pyro, engy>everything else ever created>heavy

Halloweens usually match up with which gen they are, eotl is between 2nd and 3rd gen

good first gens: scorching, burning, energies

bad first gens: really only flies as far as selling goes

all 2nd gens are really the same

good 3rd gens: roboactive, anti-freeze, green black hole, time warp

bad 3rd gens: everything else

Honestly, it's so much harder to get into unusual trading today than even just one year ago.  There are so many effects and hats out there that it's very difficult to pinpoint with any sort of accuracy what will actually sell and what won't.   There are so many rules people will tell you about, but the truth is, the way to profit is mostly by working with exceptions to those rules.  I'll give you an example of a chain of trades I completed which yielded some pretty decent profit and the rules I broke pretty much in every single trade: 

1.  Started with an aussie scattergun (worth ~35 keys at the time)

2.  Traded that for an unpriced Death at Dusk Das Naggen

Rules broken: 1.  aussies are supposed to be guaranteed pure and should only be traded for extreme overpay in items.   2.  Do not accept unpriced unusuals as the values are unpredictable and people tend to stay away from these. 

*Sure enough, the Naggen was eventually priced with a range of 33-49 keys.  Shitty for me right?  Not exactly.  Backpack price does not always apply:  

3.  Next I traded the Naggen + 15 keys for a DBD Beak.  The guy with the beak agreed that the Naggen appeared to be priced too low, and obviously, he really wanted the Naggen, not to re-sell, but because he liked it.   The DBD Beak had an outdated price of 70 keys.  

Rules Broken:  1.  Sold the Naggen for above backpack value.  Noobs will often tell you that "nobody ever pays higher than backpack price".  Clearly, that's an inaccurate statement.  2.  3rd gen = shit gen.  I shouldn't have traded for a hat (a misc) with a 3rd gen effect because I will never get rid of it.    3.  The beak had an outdated price.  Outdated means it's inflated, so I actually overpaid a lot for the beak.  

4.  Sold the beak for 80 keys pure within 5 days after posting the trade.   

So basically I took an aussie scattergun, valued at 35 keys at the time, added 15 more keys and made 30 keys profit at the end.  Pretty good I'd say.  

I didn't write this down to brag, I wrote it to demonstrate that 'the rules' do not always apply.  For example, while 3rd gen is still a tough sell, DBD on miscs sells surprisingly well.  I accepted the Naggen because I had the feeling it could do around 60 keys, which in the end, it pretty much did, regardless of the recently updated backpack price.   

except you forgot terrorwatt is the biggest cancer in unusual trading with aces high and dp a similar cancer

i didnt know how it worked, so i abought a ''quicksell'' terror wat sniper hat, on bp.tf it was 13 keys, i bought it for 10, i remmeber how i was telling him ''why do yo usell it for so low?'' i was dumb :D

Honestly, it's so much harder to get into unusual trading today than even just one year ago.  There are so many effects and hats out there that it's very difficult to pinpoint with any sort of accuracy what will actually sell and what won't.   There are so many rules people will tell you about, but the truth is, the way to profit is mostly by working with exceptions to those rules.  I'll give you an example of a chain of trades I completed which yielded some pretty decent profit and the rules I broke pretty much in every single trade: 

1.  Started with an aussie scattergun (worth ~35 keys at the time)

2.  Traded that for an unpriced Death at Dusk Das Naggen

Rules broken: 1.  aussies are supposed to be guaranteed pure and should only be traded for extreme overpay in items.   2.  Do not accept unpriced unusuals as the values are unpredictable and people tend to stay away from these. 

*Sure enough, the Naggen was eventually priced with a range of 33-49 keys.  Shitty for me right?  Not exactly.  Backpack price does not always apply:  

3.  Next I traded the Naggen + 15 keys for a DBD Beak.  The guy with the beak agreed that the Naggen appeared to be priced too low, and obviously, he really wanted the Naggen, not to re-sell, but because he liked it.   The DBD Beak had an outdated price of 70 keys.  

Rules Broken:  1.  Sold the Naggen for above backpack value.  Noobs will often tell you that "nobody ever pays higher than backpack price".  Clearly, that's an inaccurate statement.  2.  3rd gen = shit gen.  I shouldn't have traded for a hat (a misc) with a 3rd gen effect because I will never get rid of it.    3.  The beak had an outdated price.  Outdated means it's inflated, so I actually overpaid a lot for the beak.  

4.  Sold the beak for 80 keys pure within 5 days after posting the trade.   

So basically I took an aussie scattergun, valued at 35 keys at the time, added 15 more keys and made 30 keys profit at the end.  Pretty good I'd say.  

I didn't write this down to brag, I wrote it to demonstrate that 'the rules' do not always apply.  For example, while 3rd gen is still a tough sell, DBD on miscs sells surprisingly well.  I accepted the Naggen because I had the feeling it could do around 60 keys, which in the end, it pretty much did, regardless of the recently updated backpack price.   

Never heard about that aussie rule. Then again i've never owned an aussie in my life despite owning 25 keys as my highest bp(Yeah I know, not that impressive). The "nobody ever pays higher than backpack.tf price" is probably the stupidest quote i've heard. Especially when it comes dealing with unusuals. But the unpriced, especially since it just got priced, and the 3rd gen is pretty impressive. But I could never do anything that risky XD

i didnt know how it worked, so i abought a ''quicksell'' terror wat sniper hat, on bp.tf it was 13 keys, i bought it for 10, i remmeber how i was telling him ''why do yo usell it for so low?'' i was dumb :D

When I first started playing tf2 a year ago I stared at what people were selling unusuals for in horror. Every time I saw something one key off I cried to myself of why not make it one key higher. Especially when I saw 3rd gen dupes selling for so low I was shocked. My first unusual was a Duped Mongolian Aces High. Yeah, I learned pretty fast.

mostly all-class>solly, some sniper, scout>medic, some spy>demo>pyro, engy>everything else ever created>heavy

Halloweens usually match up with which gen they are, eotl is between 2nd and 3rd gen

good first gens: scorching, burning, energies

bad first gens: really only flies as far as selling goes

all 2nd gens are really the same

good 3rd gens: roboactive, anti-freeze, green black hole, time warp

bad 3rd gens: everything else

Robos aren't third gens...

Never heard about that aussie rule. Then again i've never owned an aussie in my life despite owning 25 keys as my highest bp(Yeah I know, not that impressive). The "nobody ever pays higher than backpack.tf price" is probably the stupidest quote i've heard. Especially when it comes dealing with unusuals. But the unpriced, especially since it just got priced, and the 3rd gen is pretty impressive. But I could never do anything that risky XD

Also, this rule people have about unpriced unusuals is incredibly stupid. On the contrary, every time I've made profit has been due to unpriced unusuals. My first that really jumpstarted me was g fetti tavish(18)->frostbite geezer(unpriced at the time)->p fetti Valhalla(unpriced, worth around 48 at the time but sold for 38 in priced shit cuz weird things were going on with other versions of it.) And then when I took a morning glory beret(60 but priced at 40 on bp.tf)->peace sign razor(unpriced)->Sunbeams slick(unpriced, sold for 119 keys PayPal.) These and the time when I had an unpriced overclocked lucky shot that I bought for 24 pure and sold for 45 in unusuals are literally the ONLY times I made good profit in tf2.

Use trade.tf as a extention to find quicksells. I personally find mine in server/outpost. I highly reccomend when you go by pricing unusuals you check their stats and see if it's ovepriced. To determine that if it was prior priced in buds but was converted to keys. This leads to a overpriced unusual as they priced buds at 20keys when at the time they were only 12keys~. So if a unusual was 5buds prior it's price would be 60keys as a rough estimate instead of the 100key value it would obtain.

#Quicksales are the way to go unless you are an item overpay trader which is also very very lucrative if you can get the right people but that is more time consuming as I find the best deals are on server were you offer on other peoples items.

robos are 3rd gens

They were released in 2013, just like 3rd gen, but they come from different crates.  I don't count them as third gen.   I call them robo effects, while I call Miami, DBD, etc 3rd gen.  

robos are 3rd gens

No, to be part of the official gens they have to come from supply/munition crates. But they don't, so they're their own gen, which is robo. That's like saying end of the line is 4th gen or that 2013 Halloween effects are 3rd gen.

First unusual trade baby! :P. Bought this sweet thing for 10 keys(Totally not cancer). Made a two key profit by selling it for 12 keys. Also the first unusual I owned in 6 months and people are already trying to scam me! Ah, it's good to be back. 

No, to be part of the official gens they have to come from supply/munition crates. But they don't, so they're their own gen, which is robo. That's like saying end of the line is 4th gen or that 2013 Halloween effects are 3rd gen.

Could you fix the list if it's wrong by any chance? Be really helpful :P

Could you fix the list if it's wrong by any chance? Be really helpful :P

I'm terms of which unusuals are best?

According to most people 1st>2nd but really I don't find a difference when trying to sell them, and then after that it's EOTL>good robos>2012 Halloween+cloudy moon>2013>2011>3rd Gens and bad robos. Not sure where 2014 Halloween fits in as I have never dealt with one.

Avoid Heavy unusuals. :)

Lol, best advice I can give you is to not follow this rule. However, be smart about it. Obviously you don't want the low tier garbage like football helmet, Mongolian, hard counter etc, but there are heavy hats that are very good to sell. The Bunsen burner, Minnesota slick, and bullet buzz are some examples of desired heavy hats. The best sale I ever made was a heavy unusual, sunbeams Minnesota slick, I got full price in pure from PayPal.

Archived