Advice for Team Fortress 2 Trading

Hexlicious

Serious Advice: 

1.  Don't spam someone else's trade.  It's not your job to point out that a hat is duped, just dropped in value or how much the seller paid for it.  Basically, if it's not an offer, don't comment.  

2.  Use common sense when pricing unusuals, do not quote bp.tf like it's a reliable price 100% of the time (when in reality it's like 25% of the time).  E.g. just because backpack says the Molten Malard version of a hat is valued higher than the D@D version doesn't make it so.  

3.  If you make an offer, you're the one overpaying, not the seller.  

4.  No new effect will ever surpass Beams/Scorching/Burning in value.  Stop assigning ridiculous prices to your new hats.   EDIT:  there may be an exception for rare halloween hats, but only in certain cases where the god-tier 1st gen effects are commonly available on the market (e.g. Defiant Spartan)

5.  If you make an offer that is just obviously ridiculous, don't be surprised if you don't get a pleasant response.   

6.  Don't insult the sellers intelligence.  Assume that he or she is just as intelligent as you.  Do not propose a trade that you yourself would never even consider if you were the seller.  

I could go on.....

Don't assume that people you've previously traded with before are interested in your items and offer your items to them 24/7. It gets annoying.

joke= If someone says" this is a robbery, give me all your stuff!" but they have no way to rob you, give them your items. it makes you feel better about not being type-killed, and the robber get some nice loot!

Never settle for less, always try for more.

Yeah, no. Sometimes you have to take a hit to move forward. Getting stuck with a bad hat, even if it's regarded as high tier, can leave you hanging while others are making profit.

Personal example is a Flaming Lantern Honcho's I quickbought. Found out two weeks later why he was quickselling it rather cheaply, the thing got zero offers. Had to quicksell it and move on.

Do not undercut a different user, simply in order to sell your item quicker, you're just going in minus, which is never good.

This, this, a thousand times this. Typically I deal in 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 hats. I try to match the other owners prices to be fair unless I personally think their price is inflated.

Yeah, no. Sometimes you have to take a hit to move forward. Getting stuck with a bad hat, even if it's regarded as high tier, can leave you hanging while others are making profit.

Personal example is a Flaming Lantern Honcho's I quickbought. Found out two weeks later why he was quickselling it rather cheaply, the thing got zero offers. Had to quicksell it and move on.

That is a valid arguement, edited the advice a little.

Advice 8 kinda mentions something related. Don't set yourself a ridiculous price and get stuck for weeks with the same item.

That is a valid arguement, edited the advice a little.

Advice 8 kinda mentions something related. Don't set yourself a ridiculous price and get stuck for weeks with the same item.

I was asking 10 keys less than everyone else in that situation. :P

Serious advice: the item should speak for itself. If you have to explain to a non-newbie trader why your item is valuable, it isn't.

EDIT: To clarify, this is mostly about normal items. Unusuals are trickier than regular items, but I shouldn't have to have a 5 minute conversation with someone trying to convince me that I should trade for their Spec. KS low tier strange with a bunch of useless parts on it.

Archived