String line = TextIO.getln();

System.out.println(line);

if (line.length() == 0){

break;

}

}

}

}

I'm getting an error with the underlined piece, any ideas? (can i not have a duplicate variable nested?)

didn't you already define line to be a String though? it may think that you have 2 variables line instead of one

that wouldn't matter as it would just rewrite it. 

and, there wasn't anything wrong with that, eclipse just loves to screw with me, the error was actually a couple lines up. 

too bad html will be replace far sooner than java is. 

This is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've heard anyone say in the past month or so

Java's a shit language/platform and it's gonna lose its steam over time; I don't see how HTML is even comparable, it's not a programming language (rather a markup language)

HTML isn't even close to losing popularity

This is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've heard anyone say in the past month or so

Java's a shit language/platform and it's gonna lose its steam over time; I don't see how HTML is even comparable, it's not a programming language (rather a markup language)

Isn't HTML gaining popularity, anyway, as it's sometimes being used for YouTube videos? Hmm, I don't really know much about this stuff.

Isn't HTML gaining popularity, anyway, as it's sometimes being used for YouTube videos? Hmm, I don't really know much about this stuff.

gaining nah. i wouldnt say so. not more than it has been for the last 5 years. everything is going onto the web. and most people use dreamweaver and cheat the system.

i have an amazing website ive done all in dreamweaver but i wouldnt know in which order hmtl, body and head goes in.

Don't forget muse, which is kind of different as It doesn't create a great code, but it is an interesting move for site development;and with some refinement and code generating tweaks could become a really awesome tool.

You guys do realize that essentially all sites use HTML whether or not you use Dreamweaver or some other "cheat" of the system, riterite?  (It's not a cheat, it's simply a sane way to develop quickly)  You may not be working with HTML yourself, but you use the tool, and the tool spits the rest out for you.

It's similar to how you can either use the fancy tools when making a post here such as the text color drop down tool -- or you can use the [ color] [ /color] BBcode tags.  BBCode and HTML are both markup languages.

You guys do realize that essentially all sites use HTML whether or not you use Dreamweaver or some other "cheat" of the system, riterite?  (It's not a cheat, it's simply a sane way to develop quickly)  You may not be working with HTML yourself, but you use the tool, and the tool spits the rest out for you.

It's similar to how you can either use the fancy tools when making a post here such as the text color drop down tool -- or you can use the [ color] [ /color] BBcode tags.  BBCode and HTML are both markup languages.

and without java you wouldn't be able to run any html-based sites. 

and without java you wouldn't be able to run any html-based sites. 

You do realize that HTML predates Java and was used for web building before Java was. right? If we are talking about what is more important to web sites, then HTML by far. PHP is also much more common to see than Java

You do realize that HTML predates Java and was used for web building before Java was. right? If we are talking about what is more important to web sites, then HTML by far. PHP is also much more common to see than Java

^ this ^

@Awesome, In addition, you probably mean Javascript, which is entirely different.  Java and Javascript have essentially nothing in common.  In fact, it was called Javascript to make it popular after the booming success of Java, and to this day it still has the misleading title.

What you need to "run" an HTML website is a web browser that can parse HTML.  Javascript is client side IIRC, so you would need the browser to interpret that as well if the website had any JS elements.  Other things like PHP, Ruby (+rails), etc. are all server side so you don't need the browser to anything about that.  Java generally doesn't fit into the equation, though at time a website might have some little applets, or might use Java on the server side (though if the latter is the case, you still don't personally need a copy of the Java RT to "run" it.)  For example, I still have to get around to downloading a copy of the Java RT on my computer and the only issue I've run into where I needed java was a stupid game I found online that was an applet.

TL;DR I would do some research before you act like you know this stuff

Archived