Lets talk about space travel

I AM ERROR

Mankind has two options: spread out into space, or die on Earth.

Eventually, Earth will not be able to support the human race, whether it be because pollution, overpopulation, war, famine, lack of resources, etc. Because of this, we will defiantly leave Earth at some point, and colonize new worlds, systems, and maybe other galaxies or universes, if they exist.

So, how do you think we will get there? Do you think we will do it as a unified race, or as a group of ever-warring countries? Do you think we will find alien life? And if so, what do you think our role in the universe would be?

why do you just assume we'll travel to other worlds and colonize there

what if the time comes and we can't, and just die

why do you just assume we'll travel to other worlds and colonize there

what if the time comes and we can't, and just die

Because that would fall under dying on earth, this is to discuss what other possibilities there are.

I'm very optimistic about the Alcubierre Drive.  It's basically warp drive from star trek.  It's being researched now.

edit: I made a post about this very same thing a long time ago where I went into more detail about negative energy and the plates, but I can't find it right now.  dammit.

aha, but I did find this:  http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/35843-new-propulsion-method-inexplicably-works-according-to-earth-based-experiment-is-a-new-era-of-space-travel-on-the-horizon/

I forgot all about that!

edit2: found it!

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/22457-aliens/?p=276973

I love it when the forums talks about the S in PRS!

I personally don't believe space exploration will be completely viable without world peace, unless it is through private companies (like SpaceX and that kinda stuff), however in order to harness the amount of energy needed to travel through space faster than light you need a unified effort

So first we would need world peace, then become a type 2 civilization according to the kardashev scale, then we could start thinking about the warp drive that Heated mentioned, or other ways to manipulate space, such as it was immediately after the big bang (we would need to learn more about that ofc)

I think the first step here will be the most difficult and least likely, however if by some miracle there is remote world peace, then I think space travel and exploration will become viable

-snip-

I love through the wormhole! IIRC this plan would require some ridiculous amount of funding though, as well as the issues discussed with finding and harnessing that much negative energy to actually use it. As time passes, more and more refined techniques will emerge

I'm a space-bound rocket ship and your heart's the mooooooon.

We're gonna colonize the moon ofc

I'm very optimistic about the Alcubierre Drive.  It's basically warp drive from star trek.  It's being researched now.

edit: I made a post about this very same thing a long time ago where I went into more detail about negative energy and the plates, but I can't find it right now.  dammit.

aha, but I did find this:  http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/35843-new-propulsion-method-inexplicably-works-according-to-earth-based-experiment-is-a-new-era-of-space-travel-on-the-horizon/

I forgot all about that!

edit2: found it!

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/22457-aliens/?p=276973

I was thinking something along the lines of that as well. It's good to see someone with the same ideas!

I love it when the forums talks about the S in PRS!

I personally don't believe space exploration will be completely viable without world peace, unless it is through private companies (like SpaceX and that kinda stuff), however in order to harness the amount of energy needed to travel through space faster than light you need a unified effort

So first we would need world peace, then become a type 2 civilization according to the kardashev scale, then we could start thinking about the warp drive that Heated mentioned, or other ways to manipulate space, such as it was immediately after the big bang (we would need to learn more about that ofc)

I think the first step here will be the most difficult and least likely, however if by some miracle there is remote world peace, then I think space travel and exploration will become viable

Although I do agree with the "unified mankind" approach, lets not forget that it was rival countries that caused the technological leap that made space travel possible. After all, competition makes faster progress than peace.

Although I do agree with the "unified mankind" approach, lets not forget that it was rival countries that caused the technological leap that made space travel possible. After all, competition makes faster progress than peace.

true, but when you consider the amount of power and funding needed to accomplish such a feat, as well as the U.S.'s reluctance to fund space missions, I can't imagine a single country being able to do this alone, unless there's some major breakthrough

Archived