Is electricity magic?

There

Or at least the closest thing we have to magic?

This is a somewhat serious question. Imagine a being living in a universe without electricity. They are reading a story about a world where electricity exists. Would they think about it the same we way think about magic?

No? It's something about burning something and making this thing that goes through wires and poweres everything. It's not magic. GB?

No? It's something about burning something and making this thing that goes through wires and poweres everything. It's not magic. GB?

Updated the question

In a unnverse where electricity does not exist, it WOULD be considered magic. But in ours, because it does exist, and is bound by the laws of physics, it is not magical.

In a unnverse where electricity does not exist, it WOULD be considered magic. But in ours, because it does exist, and is bound by the laws of physics, it is not magical.

This pretty much sums it up. The fact that magic has not been proven yet it has multiple 'cases' that haven't been solved are why it's considered an oddity and featured in fiction.

Electricity however, does clearly exist, is used in everyday life and has been proven by the laws of physics, so it's not magic.

Just think about it how we think about the future. Most (utopian) futures imagine a perfect world where there is no disease and transportation is as simple as clicking a button. Do we necessarily think of these innovations as magic? Not necessarily, as we know it's obtainable. Since man saw electricity from nature, they strived to obtain it for their own use.

I'm sure if you told a guy 500 years ago if teenagers would be looking at fox boobs on a 1 inch thick piece of plastic that creates light connected to other 1 inch pieces of plastic around the world where you can share fox boobs, save fox boobs and make your own fox boobs he would have called you insane.

shitposting is magic, look mom i can do magic

It's funny how we use and learn about electricity all day. But we don't actually know what it is. Our laws of physics argue that electricity is made out of electrons, but so far noone has been able to isolate "an" electricity and study it. So we're actually not sure what electricity actually is.

• Administrators

Magic = things we don't know how to explain. So... yeah, I guess.

I'm sure if you told a guy 500 years ago if teenagers would be looking at fox boobs on a 1 inch thick piece of plastic that creates light connected to other 1 inch pieces of plastic around the world where you can share fox boobs, save fox boobs and make your own fox boobs he would have called you insane.

THIS SOOO MUCH 

This topic...

facepalm.jpg

anyway...

Clarke's 3rd law states that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Sort of relevant here I guess, if you want to look at magic as effectively a word for that which is incomprehensible to someone, like how the ICP are baffled by magnets.

I liked how my physic teacher explained magic

"Magic is something that can't be explained by science"

Although that sounds incredibility open to interpretation.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's third law. 

In literature, this has also been written as "Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it"

Edit: I see that a few others have posted this as well. Great minds think alike? (really this is a too long, didn't read scenario)

Archived