4 Year Sentence for WWII "Bookkeeper of Auschwitz"

Mountain Ritos

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/europe/germany-nazi-death-camp-verdict/

Was this too light?

Was this too much?

Did this need to happen?

Don't just read the name and judge

This man pretty much kept records, from what I understand. Is this necessary, to give a sentence to a 90 year old man who kept records for the nazis over 60 years ago? I understand that he was a part of the nazis, but he did not kill anyone, and I don't exactly think he should be punished for it.

Opinions?

Dude's in his 90's and it's been decades since the fact.

I'm surprised they even tried him at this point.

• Administrators

Just to be clear...  he didn't "keep records for the nazis", he was a nazi. He may not have directly killed anyone himself but he was still a nazi ss officer who chose to join up. He was tried as an accessory, which is what he was. He also refused to testify against other ex-nazis he knew, from what I read.

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on whether he should have been tried after so long. He might not serve his sentence, and he also has the right to appeal.

Why should we let him off because a few decades have passed? If they caught him in the fifties, he'd probably have served his time, and no one would protest that. He got away with being an accessory for what, sixty years? He should count himself lucky he's being sentenced now instead of in his youth.

Why should we let him off because a few decades have passed? If they caught him in the fifties, he'd probably have served his time, and no one would protest that. He got away with being an accessory for what, sixty years? He should count himself lucky he's being sentenced now instead of in his youth.

I don't think it's right for a 90 year old to be put in prison for 4 years. He'll probably die before he became free again.

• Administrators

I don't think it's right for a 90 year old to be put in prison for 4 years. He'll probably die before he became free again.

The article said they chose a short sentence so he'd have some freedom to spend with loved ones after he's released, so I assume he's healthy. Plus he might not even have to serve it in prison.

We're in deep shit in the war we're in now and we're still focused on people from WWII. smh. This is fucking disgusting. 

although i think the whole WWII aushwitz thing was awful, i dont think this guy should get 4 years, it's been 60 years since thats happened and it's not like HE killed anyone, not saying he shouldnt get jailed but it shouldnt be 4 years, he'll prolly die before he gets out anyway

I think he shouldnt be put in prison for something he did 60 years ago, way to far fetched just for being a librarian

Oskar Schindler x Matt X. Groening

Its only really to discourage nazi thoughts. If he was the book keeper dor anything else, after 50 years they would not care.

Also, statute of limitations much? It wasnt murder, hardly even accomplice.

There are many active nazi groups and they choose a 90 year old man? Im not gonna say i dont understand but that is stupid.

They shouldn't of even did this in the first place. For one, he's to old now and for second, he didn't actually kill anyone himself he was forced to do this or he would of died himself.

I feel like the arguments here are just being applied to prisoners in general.

Yeah, none of the people in this community has went through the WWII and therefore doesn't know how bad Auschwitz was. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/europe/germany-nazi-death-camp-verdict/

Was this too light?

Was this too much?

Did this need to happen?

Don't just read the name and judge

This man pretty much kept records, from what I understand. Is this necessary, to give a sentence to a 90 year old man who kept records for the nazis over 60 years ago? I understand that he was a part of the nazis, but he did not kill anyone, and I don't exactly think he should be punished for it.

Opinions?

IMHO

• Did this need to happen? Yes - if only for accountability. it's still not OK to be part of a genocide. Was he guilty? yes, he was.
  • Was the punisment appropriate? I would probbably say no - partially becasue he was old, but seeing as he himself became a kind of public figure talking about it:, pointing out to holocause-deniers that, no , this did happen, ... I would assume he's already had remorse of what happened, and that he's already suffered punishment - in the form of bias - throughout the 50 years since the events.

The punishment seems more like a token punishment, at which point , I feel 4 years is too much for someone of 90.

I think this is a huge waste of time.

There are other war criminals to judge, such as, hmmm ... let say G. W. Bush, Obama, Netanyahu, Sarkozy, Porochenko ...

It is not like ideas are missing.

It's a little late but he still deserves a sentence (he still worked with the Nazi regime, even if it was 60+years ago), at least he may actually feel some remorse which makes a short sentence a fairer option than a full sentence. He was a member of the SS, and whilst not every recruit would realise what they were getting into (Nazi censorship was effective), this doesn't excuse him from continuing to work with them.

4 years in jail for counting money for the bad people seems dumb, especially 60 years later

This was the attitude of the German public during the 30's and 40's - they just passively went with the movement.

He was a member of the SS, and whilst not every recruit would realise what they were getting into (Nazi censorship was effective), this doesn't excuse him from continuing to work with them.

*nods* I recall shocking testemonies of jew survivors who explain they in fact went on the trains vollentairy (or at least without any form of resisting). There wasn't iany work for them where they lived, and they got relocated to "workcamps" ...

or, one of a mayor of some town talked about the jew getting shipped of to concentration camps: all the jews were on the train and someone asked him, "where are they taking them?". He explains that he replied "to the work camps" - and he still considers it one of his darkest moments as in retrospect, he should have realizedthat that was impossible, that they were going to be killed - and yet, he, nor anyone - did.

While I do think he should be put in jail for the whole thing, I'm going with the majority opinion in this thread and say "really..."

After so much time, there has to be some form of statue of limitations on this shit. You can't expect a 90-year-old going to jail for something he did in his youth.

You can't expect a 90-year-old going to jail for something he did in his youth.

Well... life sentences without parol, the death penallty ... apparently we do expect that.

At least, you can't forsake the trail: as there's no statue of limitation on murder, we wouldn't let someone like Hitler's right hand get a free pass... but to decide how 'evil' this guy was, you need a trail

Archived