Well, looks like we have now two "cursed" Burning Team Captains.

rafiozol

Aw, I'm not rich enough to get a trade offer for a duped, cursed burning tc? RIP my hopes and dreams

Anyways, no idea why Rock into Mordor decided to do it. Perhaps Dark Warrior convinced him that he won't get marked because Warrior hadn't been marked (yet) on the TC. But he should have definitely asked a reputable trader like people had been telling him to do when he originally unboxed it. This will be an interesting situation.. What if Warrior is really not an alt of Royal Flash, so he bought the TC off a cautioned account. Now he sells it to a clean account.

Also, a friend mentioned they had seen Red wearing the TC ingame yesterday if that helps

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, I'm not rich enough to get a trade offer for a duped, cursed burning tc? RIP my hopes and dreams

Anyways, no idea why Rock into Mordor decided to do it. Perhaps Dark Warrior convinced him that he won't get marked because Warrior hadn't been marked (yet) on the TC. But he should have definitely asked a reputable trader like people had been telling him to do when he originally unboxed it. This will be an interesting situation.. What if Warrior is really not an alt of Royal Flash, so he bought the TC off a cautioned account. Now he sells it to a clean account.

Also, a friend mentioned they had seen Red wearing the TC ingame yesterday if that helps

I think he shouldn't be marked personnaly

he didn't know its obvious

I don't think rock cares about trading, getting marked on SR wouldn't affect him at all, so why not take that deal?

I think he shouldn't be marked personnaly

he didn't know its obvious

Well then perhaps he should have just deleted his tc to avoid this entire situation

His unboxing of the tc caused him to try to learn the unusual market faster, and at a higher tier, than most, which would obviously give him attention, as people would try to take advantage of him. Many top traders tried to help him and he still didn't listen. 

We can't just make exceptions, especially when $10,000 worth of unusuals are at stake. He was getting the advice from prominent traders, yet decided to trade for a hat from a shady character, the same hat that has gotten every past owner of that hat marked. 

I don't think rock cares about trading, getting marked on SR wouldn't affect him at all, so why not take that deal?

Even if he doesn't care, he did just lose quite a bit of money by trading for the duped scammer filled tc. He ruined something collectors would pay extra for and now will appear as stupid as the guy who got scammed out of the burning KE 2 years ago.

In fact, if he doesn't care about trading, why would he accept a deal that gave him free stuff at the cost of the tc that he had unboxed. The fact that he even considered it, let alone took it, shows he would have been willing to sell the tc in the future.

Even if he doesn't care, he did just lose quite a bit of money by trading for the duped scammer filled tc. He ruined something collectors would pay extra for and now will appear as stupid as the guy who got scammed out of the burning KE 2 years ago.

In fact, if he doesn't care about trading, why would he accept a deal that gave him free stuff at the cost of the tc that he had unboxed. The fact that he even considered it, let alone took it, shows he would have been willing to sell the tc in the future.

I think he wears it purely cosmetic, he isn't interested in selling and never will be, so he has no reason to care what people would pay. He got some cool new items for virtually free in his eyes.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but just because he's saying that's how it went down doesn't automatically make it true. 

Of course not, which is why I said seems instead of "He was scammed."

Is almost everyone just assuming that because he has a burning TC that he actually bothered to learn about high tier trading other than the price of his own hat?

So...people keep getting marked simply for acquiring this hat, even though the person they acquired it from was guilty of nothing beyond acquiring the hat themselves? (Obviously there were scammers somewhere along the line, but as far as I know, all the owners for a while have been "clean")

I'm (almost) positive this situation has been addressed before, and it's been said that marks won't be passed on indefinitely, as seems to be happening here. What makes this an exception? I don't think simple high value should be enough to make this an exception. Or am I missing some facts?

We can't just make exceptions, especially when $10,000 worth of unusuals are at stake. He was getting the advice from prominent traders, yet decided to trade for a hat from a shady character, the same hat that has gotten every past owner of that hat marked. 

But isn't it already making an exception to mark someone simply for buying a hat when the seller was marked for nothing beyond buying the hat (i.e. didn't buy from a scammer)?

From where I stand, 1) I don't think anyone should be marked for buying a hat in such situations (but obviously I don't make the rules, so meh) and 2) He already got his punishment in terms of losing value.

Can't we all just act like adults and form a circle around him and do the ol' point-and-laugh for a few minutes and then enshrine him in the Hall of Incautious Traders Who've Had Their Asses Handed to Them and move on? :P

Jesus Christ. I mentored ROCK for a while, and taught him the ropes of most trading. We didn't talk for a while but I told him to alert me of any trade offers he got for the TC, and I'd tell him whether or not they were good. 

Didn't tell me about this, and he even claimed he would NOT sell his TC. 

Jesus Christ. I mentored ROCK for a while, and taught him the ropes of most trading. We didn't talk for a while but I told him to alert me of any trade offers he got for the TC, and I'd tell him whether or not they were good. 

Didn't tell me about this, and he even claimed he would NOT sell his TC. 

http://i.imgur.com/eTiiwHI.png

he literally did this in like 2 minutes, ofc he wouldnt tell anyone

I didn't get a trade offer either :( Why can't I be rich like you guys

Does this mean he can sell the cursed tc without anyone having consequences?

He didn't sell the clean one, why would this be different?

Someone offered me it about one and a half years ago but that was on the TF2-Trader server in trade chat and I didn't take a screenshot (from memory, I think that I was busy telling someone about the obvious secondary account). Sure, that doesn't count here, but now I wish that I had proof of it. :(

Thought I'll add that I also had it offered as a typed offer and quickly declined. Lategum (http://steamcommunity.com/id/lategum/) claims to have 2 and also told me that they have been mass duped and that 10 exist. Not sure how true any of that is though.

its true that like 10 of these team captains exist, so only rock's is clean

not sure about lategum having 2 of them, but he's tradebanned, so it doesnt matter anyway

• 2 weeks later...

How has pp7 not been marked yet? He obviously bought Mordor's original TC from someone (either the guy who scammed Mordor's or someone who traded with said person).  Either way it would have resulted in a chain of marks because it is "cursed", and that chain currently ends on pp7.

Proof that the cursed on is still in Mordor's inventory: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198079297308?time=1434845533

History of the second cursed one: http://backpack.tf/item/3357047182 (there were obvously some private bps inbetween Morodr and pp7)

Proof that pp7 still has the Burning TC: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198013192860

Edit:

If you look at this transaction: 

pp7 must have bought it from Red, which makes sense because he was marked for buying the cursed burning TC... so how come pp7 isn't marked?
Proof that Red had the TC (btw Red is just an alt): http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198062000229

Archived